What setup gives best throat hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skywalk

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2009
Malaysia
I tried stock joye 510 and wasn't impressed with zero throat hit.

My questions are
- what pg/vg ratio gives good th?
- what juice for th?
- do I need HV juice? I'm trying xhaler at 5v and chuck at 6v when they arrive.
- I'm confused about sweet juices being bad at high volts. Is this true?

Basically I NEED throat hit. If there's minimal vapor I'm still ok with that.

And the most important question: who sells the juice that hasthe best throat hit? Thanks all

CSI

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2009
skywalk,
I am obviously pretty new around here and only started vaping 2 months ago. All I have used are my Joye 510s I got from cignot.
I really spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to make this work for me...how to get vapor, throat hit, taste, etc....

I am still learning new things everyday. One MAJOR thing I learned was how much effect my 'taking a drag' phase had on things. I have found that by taking multiple, small puffs, that my vapor production and throat hit ends up being 1000 times stronger over taking a regular puff. I mean my drag force is almost non-existent. I get so much throat hit at times I almost choke. My 510 really likes having very soft puffs. A stronger drag will usually produce very little vape and almost no throat hit.

You may already know all of this since you have been at this a lot longer, but just in case................
I was amazed at the difference after I experimented with drag forces I was using. I am more than satisfied now with my 510.
ken

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Jo'burg, South Africa
I'm using Dekang RY4 High in my M201 and seldom get much throat hit even with long vapes, except 1st thing in the morning and after any other long gaps.

My daughter, also using an M201, has Dekang Menthol High and it kicks the heck out of her, so much so that she takes short puffs like an analog to lessen the hit. She's now mixing 50/50 with Dekang Menthol Medium and finds the lesser hit more comfortable and enjoyable.

So it would seem that Dekang Menthol High gives a strong th.

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Jo'burg, South Africa
THanks Doug. High vs medium, I assume you're talking about nic content right? So is it right to surmise that higher nic content equates to more TH?

Not sure really, the dealer says his "High" is 24mg Nic and the "Medium" 16mg Nic. The RY4 doesn't kick but the Menthol does, so it must be more than just the Nic content i.e. RY4 is warm, sweet and mellow, whereas Menthol is cool and sharp.

CatVTTV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2009
Tyne & Wear, UK
www.cpnewcastle.co.uk
Throat his is down to a combination of things.

The RIGHT juice for you.
The atomiser being tip top
A fresh battery.

The 510 should have given you a throat hit of some kind.

Everyone is different, so what works for me, may not work for you.

I was a 20 a day smoker for 40+ years, but I didnt feel the need to go for the strongest juice. I started with 11mg, went up to 18mg for a while, and still use 18mg for that morning hit, but the rest of the time 11mg does the trick.

Menthol has a kick of its own, yes, but you need to experiment and find the juice that is right for you in flavour.

I find Apple gives me a real kick, but the hit is dry on the throat.

When CSI talks of multiple small drags, it means the same as when you would do that with a cigarette. I call it primer puffs, but its the same thing, 3 or 4 short inhales, then a deep one followed by the exhale.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Throat hit is subjective to the users, but I find it is enhanced by using a higher nicotine level e-liquid and increase in heat. The first is easy to experiment with; the second can be accomplished with a manually operated device and/or a device that runs at a voltage higher than a typical screw-in e-gic battery.

Petb brings up another good point - flavor. The nature of menthol is such that many vapers get an enhanced feeling of throat hit. Some lightly flavored liquids might not provide much of the throat hit sensation. Perhaps try some samplers of liquids to find flavor/nictotine content that you enjoy.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
My primary vape is ECOpure that I get from CIGNOT. Great liquid... but limited flavor selection. Of course.. a few bottles of LorAnn and some ECOmix and that problem is solved.

I also got quite a few bottles of PG-based liquid from Dawn at DIYFlavorShack. Great stuff. great vendor.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the wonderful stuff that I got from Drew at Nhaler.... and all the VG samplers that I got from Vermont Vapor. All my wife will (happily) vape is VV juice.

elysianwing

Dec 27, 2009
Michigan
Generally speaking, "throat hit" can also be enhanced or created via the addition of a small percentage of alcohol to your mix (keeping in mind that this will also thin-out the juice). When mixing my own VG-based juice I usually add about 10% of 151 to the mix..... and the TH change is quite noticeable.

$.02

No kidding? Does that affect the taste or nicotine potency at all?

420GypsyGirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
Near a beach in a desert.
You can also boost your TH by adjusting your inhalation style. Taking long slow drags on a 510 and/or inhaling first into your mouth before taking it into your lungs or using a French Inhale can really kick up the TH a couple of notches.

What he said. Taking nice long pulls first into mouth than inhaling can make for a good TH. :w00t:

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
No kidding? Does that affect the taste or nicotine potency at all?

No kidding!

Yes.. the nicotine will go down a notch. Remember... I'm only talking 10% (MAX) alcohol..... so if you were using 24mg nic you would now have about 22.

Unflavored alcohol (PGA) will have little or no effect on the flavor. Since 151 is flavored... yeah... there might be a slight "tinge" of that coming through. But I mix it with English Toffee or Butterscotch flavored liquid anyway... so I don't taste it at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread