Not open for further replies.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Nurse: (goes back to her questionaire): "So, how often do you SMOKE?"

Being a proactive vaping 'advocate' with a genuine and considerate educational attitude, THIS is when I would have pulled out my PV, stared into her eyes, do a double drag, exhale and then ask, "Does that smell like smoke?!?!?" Then I'd follow her to the break room to observe her diving into a blueberry muffin/bagel!!!

Fortunately, thus far, I've become a kinda local vaping poster boy with the medical folk I interface with!
images

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
just because you use a diff device for your fix doesn't mean you don't smoke. ..., maybe im the only one here ok with the fact i went from smoking cigs to smoking an e-cig...

who cares what a nurse thinks anyway, if you wanna lie to her then lie to her.

Really? Smoking is called smoking because you are burning tobacco...which is lit.... Vaping is vaporizing a liquid which in many cases people use 0 nicotine... So if some are vaping 0mg of flavored juice how are they smoking? Heck how is vaping smoking period? Vapor is water...smoke is smoke... Hence the term smoking....

If you don't know the difference then what is your IQ?

Btw: Ecig is a term because the first vaporizers mimicked the look of a real cig... Now we are calling them vaporizers... You can call it smoking if you're really believe that, but it shows low IQ and understanding of the difference between a vapor and real smoke.

cbrite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I'm on Medicare, and last time I checked, they can't kick you off for "smoking" or other kind of nicotine use, I hope. But that could be coming in the future, for all I know.

That said, for those of you who have to have blood tests for your insurance, do they have the same rules about using the patch or gum? Would that show up on your test as nicotine and you would have to pay extra because of it? What if you were under a doctor's care, and they prescribed the patch or gum? Would that be allowed?

I also am on Medicare and have an Advantage Plan. I think my previous provider must have asked about smoking because I remember them sending me info on smoking cessation. But I don't thing they are permitted to base your premium on smoking/non, and my current provider didn't ask about smoking.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
is that why the forum is called general e-smoking instead of general non smoking?
Yes, the name of this subforum could be considered unfortunate.

But the name of this subforum doesn't have anything to do with the fact that vapor is not smoke.
Nor does it have anything to do with the fact that vaping is not smoking.

A person that no longer uses real cigarettes has quit smoking.

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
I love being able to tell people that I don't smoke anymore. I would not have had the discussion the OP had with any NP, I think after being told that I smoke when I know that I don't, I would have politely asked to re-schedule with the doctor. Writing in your chart that you smoke when you don't... that's extremely unethical.

Rabbit Chaser

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
San Jose, CA
I went to the doctor last week and she asked if I smoke. I said that I vape and she said, "that is only nicotine, right?" Yes, with 6 mg juice. "Okay," she said, "no tobacco products. Good for you." She is apparently well educated and mentioned that several of her patients vape and sees no problems with it whatsoever.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Only a week after I last smoked a cigarette, I had to go for my BP etc. check with the practitioner nurse.
As usual, she took my BP, weighed me, and then asked 'still smoking the same?' - ...and I kept my face straight and said 'no, don't smoke'.
She looked at me in disbelief knowing I've always smoked, and I braced myself for disapproval when I told her I was using electronic ones now.
She was actually very pleased and had no negatives about it at all!
I'd actually expected her to tell me that it was still nicotine and still not good! I was very pleasantly surprised when she stated that in her view, it's only another method of nicotine replacement and therefore very welcome news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread