Can't believe my ignorant doctor's office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
usa
Just got back from the doctor, nurse asked me if I still smoke I said no, I vape. I asked her if she marked me as smoking, she said yes because they were told to mark it as smoking because "studies show it is the same". Uhh.. what studies. I asked her if nicotine replacement therapy would be classified as smoking, she said she didn't know. I told her I don't understand how vaping is the same as smoking since it only contains a fraction of the formaldehyde and none of the other carginogens, and it only has like 2 of the hematologic effects of the 7 or 8 cigarettes has. She just kind of "mmhmm"d in a "that's nice" kind of way. Oh god.

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
I guess different Dr's look at it different ways. My GP was thrilled that I had put down the cigs and started vaping. I'm not sure if he changed my smoking status in my file but I know he noted that I am a vaper.

On a slightly different note... I had to renew my life insurance policy last week and while talking to my agent the subject of smoking came up and I told him I no longer smoked but I do vape now. He changed my status to non-smoker. Woo Hoo!!

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
My GP changed my status to "Non-smoker"...
I went to see him a year ago... hadn't seen him in about 4 years. Last time I saw him I still smoked.
When he asked me if I was still smoking and I told him that I am vaping now, he asked for how long. I told him that I switched to vaping not long after I saw him last. I said, "I know, you're probably gonna tell me to stop that, too, huh?"
He laughed and said "No. If it's working for you, stick with it... there is no evidence that it is particularly bad for you, and I can tell you for sure that it is MUCH better for you than cigarettes!" I was SOOOOO happy to hear that from my doctor!!

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Can't wait to hear what my lung doctor has to say about it. I know it can go either way. ..but I know I'm not smoking and I'm happy about that no matter what he says!

In another month or so I'll be seeing the lung doctors at MD Anderson Cancer Center here in Houston about my wife. I plan to ask them what their take on vaping is, just out of general curiosity. They are one of the leading cancer centers in the nation, so I expect a typical canned answer of "It's not good for you." I'm still gonna ask, just to get some insight on where they stand on it.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
When I went to the doctor -- first time in 20+ years and a month after I switched to ecigs -- the intake form asked if I smoked. I answered No. If it had asked "Do you use e-cigarettes?" I'd have answered yes. But they didn't ask.

Always answer the question asked, not the question implied.

This is exactly what I did too. The doctor asked if I smoked, I said I quit 2 1/2 years ago after more than 45 years. He gave me a big smile and didn't ask me how I did it so I just gave him the information he wanted.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My doctor is on board with vaping instead of smoking. He's also elated that since I quit smoking I've been able to restart and continue my daily exercise regime. I do 7 sets of 20 reps with moderate weight on a curl bar and the Total Gym to burn calories and fat. I top that off with a 5 mile bike ride upping the resistance from 60% to 90% while watching old Sci-Fi episodes through Amazon Prime Video on the desktop computer in the man cave! I'm watching Start Trek TNG now and I'm on the third season. I've been through 6 seasons of Dr Who and several other sci-fi series.

Now, if I could just convince my health insurance carrier that vaping isn't smoking. They depend on the Cotinine test to determine rates. I'm now down to 6% nic and contemplating going to zero. I really don't want to do that because like Caffeine, Nicotine is a mild stimulant that improves cognitive function. Maybe we should push for a caffeine free environment and see what the people say. That would at least engage the public in a conversation about the differences. The might find that Nic isn't so bad after all. :)

The caffeine culture is being compared to the vaping culture here and there. This National Journal article compares the caffeine culture with the vaping culture in a surprisingly fair manner. Maybe some of those caffeine addict anti-vapers will see the value in joining ranks with vapers as the FDA comes down on their all day long affair with caffeine!

http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/is-nicotine-really-any-different-than-caffeine-20130620

Is Nicotine Really Any Different Than Caffeine?
All the big tobacco companies are selling e-cigarettes, proponents of which are quick to point out that we don’t regulate coffee.

A “poly-caffeine dilettante” is easy to imagine. People shift easily from morning coffees to mid-morning lattes to midday energy drinks to late-afternoon Frappuccinos. E-proponents want you to remember how readily you order another cup of coffee as you think about the health effects of vaping. Both caffeine and nicotine can raise the heart rate, cause nausea, and even kill, but only in extraordinarily high doses that are hard to come by. “Nicotine has similar qualities as caffeine,” says Ray Story, head of the Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association, an industry group. “The nicotine itself is not a deadly product.… If this product is sold within the parameters of what we feel is a responsible product, this product is basically harmless.”

<snip>

Because of e-cigarettes’ connection to conventional smoking, they will grow up in a different, and almost certainly tougher, regulatory environment than caffeine, which is also getting a closer look from FDA. In April, the agency said it would investigate the safety of caffeine in food, and Michael Taylor, deputy commissioner for foods and veterinary medicine, wondered whether the agency should limit caffeine in certain products. Caffeine withdrawal, joining nicotine withdrawal, was added to the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders this spring.

Last edited:

Mogar

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2014
Dallas TX
I spoke with my GP and my Endocrinologist and both gave me the same answer. (BTW my Endo is on the board currently doing a 2 year study on the effects of vaping within Texas)
While it is better than smoking by far, you are still inhaling something that is not supposed to be in the lungs.
After saying that, my Endo said that in so far all reports to the board that he sits on there have been no cases that he has seen to suggest that vaping has done significant harm to an individual except for one case, but this person was soon excluded from the report as he was found to have an allergy to VG.
He also did mention that there is a lab test ongoing where a series of mice are being kept in a "fog" of mixtures (different mice being given a different mixture between 100% VG to 50/50 VG/PG to 90% PG) and other than some effects that are to be expected due to the 100% humidity 100% of the time there are still no signs of long term damages. This is the same type of experiment that caused some artificial sweeteners to be pulled from shelves (come on, a diet of nothing but 100% artificial sweeteners is going to kill anyone).
When I see him again in 6 months I will ask for an update.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
If they are ignorant about the harm reduction of vaping, I would wonder about the quality of the rest of the health care they provide.

What do you call the guy that graduates in the bottom of his medical school class ?

Doctor.

Mine got me to have a complete physical which found my colon cancer. It was found in time to have it completely removed before spreading to anything and I didn't have to have further treatments, other than losing part of my colon. I'm completely cancer free. She may not understand vaping, but she did save my life. Someday (I REALLY hope in my lifetime) vaping will be more understood and accepted. Until then, all I can do is keep showing her and others that it doesn't affect me in a negative manner. Just the simple fact of not seeing her for ailments that smoking used to create in me.

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
If they are ignorant about the harm reduction of vaping, I would wonder about the quality of the rest of the health care they provide.

What do you call the guy that graduates in the bottom of his medical school class ?

Doctor.

AND... they also call it a "practice"

Guess who they are practicing on :facepalm:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I believe in full disclosure to my DR when I get my 6 month check up .. when they ask if I am smoking, I say no, but I do use a PV with about a 6-8mg nicotine .. I see no point in not telling the guy I rely on for my health well-being to not be fully informed .. I also answer honestly to the question of alcohol use, depression, etc .. he's my DR ..

After 4 years, he remains ambivalent and clearly glad I'm off the cigs .. yet, he also believes the Jury is not fully in on PV use, which I tend to agree with ..

I ended up converting his Nurse to the PV and she now shows off her gear to me when I go in ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread