Welcome to the new forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Hello everybody, I trust you are well and e-smoking is good!

So, the new forum is now up and running. You will need to change your bookmarks to www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum

I do anticipate that there will be some problems - I have tried my best to ensure that everything is taken care of, but the law of sod dictates that I will have missed something.

The first problem that I am aware of is that it was not possible to import the avatar and signature settings. I'm very sorry but you will have to

So, firstly let me tell you about the new features.

1. We now have a social groups system. This has been installed in recognition of the fact that this is an international forum, and that some users would like to have areas in which they can narrow things down geographically.

I would, therefore, encourage anyone who wishes so to create a social group that they think others might be interested in joining. It doesn't have to be based on geographical locations, it could be anything! People interested in modifying their e-cigs, for instance.

Here's the clever bit: Once the group has 5 members, a new forum can be created in the community section. Only members of that social group can post in the relevant forum but, if set to public, anyone can see it.

2. Tags. Tags are simple keywords that are relevant to the post. They are set when the post is written and can be added to by anyone responding.

Tags show up in the "Tag Cloud" on the front page of the site and offer a simple visual representation of the popular terms. Please use these as it will make a real difference to those new to the forum.

3. Spam management. New users are not able to post links until they have made 15 posts.

4. RSS subscription. Users can subscribe to individual forums by using the RSS button found next to each forum link on the home page.

5. All sorts of other things that vBulletin has included that PHPBB does not. Too many to list, but if you have any questions at all, please post them in the "Forum Help & Testing Area" forum.

Things yet to be done:

1. Community live chat.
2. The black and blue style isn't aesthetically pleasing enough. Will edit it some more.
3. Anything else that is suggested that I've either forgotten to do or is requested and sounds like a good idea!
4. Blogs feature
5. E-cig-wiki

bishybob

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2008
Arizona, USA
I love the new forum. I especially like the mouse-over features. On each topic you can mouse over the little mail icon on the far left. It will show you how many posts you have in that topic. Then you can mouse over the title of the topic, and actually read the first post. Good stuff...

Only thing I see that's broken are the smiley face icons.

W

Wonder Woman

I'm a bit confused as to how to find my old posts, used to be a view your posts button. Does that still exist?
Jason,
Click on your own ID name up there where it says "Welcome so.. and so.."
On the right of the next screen you'll see some boxes for your profile and preferences.
One says "Mini Statistics" click on "Show All Statistics"
The next page will give you a choice allowing you to see all your posts.

PS There maybe a shorter way like using the Search feature but I haven't tried that yet.

Ludo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2008
China
www.janty.com
I checked with Helen :p

Hi, 80 by 80 pixels or 5.0 KB for an avator is a bit "Dutch" no? It should be at least 10 kb and 120/120.

As long as you don't use these moving avators (very annoying), a slightly bigger size should be ok no?

Anyway, I'm sure there will be a lot of settings to change still... like being able to upload/embed gif, jpg and other formats, quicktime, youtube, install Ispy,.... smokey Joe will have his hands full these days ha!

Last edited:
W

Wonder Woman

I checked with Helen :p

Hi, 80 by 80 pixels or 5.0 KB for an avator is a bit "Dutch" no? It should be at least 10 kb and 120/120.

As long as you don't use these moving avators (very annoying), a slightly bigger size should be ok no?

Anyway, I'm sure there will be a lot of settings to change still... like being able to upload/embed gif, jpg and other formats, quicktime, youtube, install Ispy,.... smokey Joe will have his hands full these days ha!
LOL :) :cool:

The last time I looked the kb's and pixels were increased significantly.
The board is changing minute to minute so I can't get back to the "avatar" section at this momemt.

W

Wonder Woman

I see no way to email/contact anyone - am I missing something?
OK guys and girls,

I see now the trouble you were having.
This time I logged on the "Private Message" link is now missing!

The board seems to be changing from minute to minute so I'm not going to continue to help out.

Since it is changing constantly it's a waste of my time.

Not complaining - just noting.

PS I have one more post to create, then I'll be able to insert my graphics - lol

marian00

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2008
California USA
www.vaporcig.com
OK guys and girls,

I see now the trouble you were having.
This time I logged on the "Private Message" link is now missing!l

Thank you, Wonder Woman, for clearing that up. I thought I was a complete dunce when I couldn't see any indication for the words "Private Messages" under my username at the top right of the window.

This is all that appears under the forum's slogan "The place on the web to discuss all things e-cigarette":

Welcome, marian00.
You last visited: Today at 12:48 PM

I'm sure there are a lot of things that need to be tweaked, so I don't mind waiting as Smokey Joe irons everything out. Thanks again!

Marian

jamie2

Jul 2, 2008
Folks are posting the same bugs/questions/answers in 3 places because the board now has 3 welcome threads. Until a mod provides some clarity, perhaps we could help out by posting bugs and asking questions on the board Smokey labeled as "post bugs and ask questions"? That would be the Forum Help & Testing Area.

Since my login hasn't transferred yet I can't post urls.... the 3 threads are.

forum-help-testing-area/527-welcome-new-forum.html
general-e-smoking-discussion/528-welcome-new-forum.html
general-e-smoking-discussion/575-forum-suggestions-welcome-3.html

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
smokeyjoe,anything you can do to make the icons for new posts etc clearer.basically everything on the left side...
they all look the same to me particularly in b+b.
i dunno if theres a new post in a thread or not,whats been read etc...its all so small and similar looking,and the colours are too alike also.anything you can do mate?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread