We need a television commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
I found this great video, and it's only what, 110 seconds long ?

I finally started the thread about making a public video commercial, or info-mmercial.

CASAA, Vapers Coalition, ECF, and everyone interested?

YouTube - Smoking vs Vaping - The Science

Anyone? I'm sure we can start to step up our efforts in many ways.
Let's do it, please. We can pack so much information in 90 seconds, perhaps.

jiff

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2009
Arizona
If you look at how much major corporations spend on marketing every year, you see television commercials as the single most popular form of advertisement. It is also extremely expensive. The cost to run a commercial on one major station during prime time hours (in order for the most people to see it, and be effective) would be very expensive, especially since we would be looking at doing a national ad not just a cheap local ad. A commercial is a wonderful idea, but they are extremely costly, especially to run more than just once.

If you get into running it on multiple stations during one more than one time slot, the cost grows rapidly. Unfortunately, running one commercial, nationally, once, at one good time, would be a lot of money on it's own, and still wouldn't be as effective as we would all hope. In order for this advertisement strategy to be effective, it needs to be run frequently.

Don't mistake my meaning in using terms like marketing and advertisement, fact is, even not-for-profit organizations that pay for those little 90 second info blips still pay a lot of cash to run those ad's.

I don't believe we have that source of capital at the moment... Unfortunately, we are now and will continue to run mostly on free publicity from news ad's... Which can either be good or bad, as we all are more than aware.

EDIT: After a quick google search you can find that for 30 seconds it is upward of 350$... and that's at 3am... Looking at during a prime time show it can be as much 10,000$ and those slots will always be taken. The most effective way to get those slots is to pay upward of 85,000$ a year in advance and have the slot for that entire year, which in the end is about 35$ per 30 seconds... Still, do we have 85,000$?

Last edited:

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
You can't advertise cigarettes on TV commericals so I don't think we could advertise ecigs. One thing I have been noticing is that in most of the movies on the major channels there are quite a few people who smoke. I never really noticed this before. With cigarettes being so bad for you its hard to believe that they allow this many people on TV to smoke.

See if you notice this also.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
I did'nt mean we would use this specific video, we really would need our own.

From this source:
How Much Do Television Ads Costs? - A Primer on Television Advertising Costs - Resources for Entrepreneurs - Gaebler Ventures - Chicago, Illinois
Most small- to medium-sized business owners find that local advertising fits better with their budgets and marketing goals. A 30-second time slot in a medium-sized market can be purchased for as little as $5 per 1,000 viewers, meaning that you could easily expect to pay less than $100 per commercial slot. Even cheaper rates may be available for off-hour programming.

Last edited:

jiff

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2009
Arizona
I did'nt mean we would use this specific video, we really would need our own.

From this source:
How Much Do Television Ads Costs? - A Primer on Television Advertising Costs - Resources for Entrepreneurs - Gaebler Ventures - Chicago, Illinois
Most small- to medium-sized business owners find that local advertising fits better with their budgets and marketing goals. A 30-second time slot in a medium-sized market can be purchased for as little as $5 per 1,000 viewers, meaning that you could easily expect to pay less than $100 per commercial slot. Even cheaper rates may be available for off-hour programming.

One 30 second slot in one small localized area on a local network wouldn't do much unfortunately. The only way to make a real difference is for national network.:(

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
I've seen a TV commercial for an e-cig on late at night before (one of those companies that locks you into monthly shipments), so there's no rule against e-cigs on TV.

You can actually get national TV spots pretty cheap through google. Prime time network is surely way too expensive, but by searching through the demographic info, you can find a good audience to target. Then you just bid for the air time.

STiCaveman

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
Phx, AZ
Vaping....so easy a caveman can do it.
Wait, what?

caveavatar2.jpg

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
great video and a great idea as well. Radio might be the way to go, it's cheaper and it can work just about as effectively. I think that if the government can they will ban e-cigs before word gets out to the masses, so the quicker we can turn people on to e-cigs the better chance we will all have. I am amazed at how fast it has spread already. I started vaping just over 3 months ago. I had never seen one before. Now I have converted a bunch of my friends who have gone on to convert their friends and family. Two nights ago my friend Amy (who was converted by my friend Heather who was converted by me) told me that she got her dad to pick up a 510 he had not had one day without a cig in close to 40 years. He has tried everything to quit, well he hasn't had a smoke in over a week now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread