Status
Not open for further replies.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
If memory serves me correctly, Vaughan used FD 510's in all his devices and they were all customized in some way by him to work in his devices... I don't think there were ever any standard off the shelf 510's ever used.
I think the very early ones did use standard, until issues arose.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I think the very early ones did use standard, until issues arose.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
That could be but somewhere down the line he had to start modifying them all from what I remember. What sucks is if you are here in the states I don't think he'd even entertain the thought of helping anyone out with any problems!!

Reactions: Doffy

btobw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Hey folks, I'm hoping I can tap into the group knowledge base. I recently acquired #22, and it's been an article of joy since i got it, especially with the Shift BF atty... just wonderful.
However, #22 has developed a bit of a problem with the 510 assembly, specifically the bf tube. The hollow nut that holds the spring keeping the tube in tension against the bottom of the atty has decided to separate from the threaded barrel. It looks like it was originally press-fitted, and that has relaxed, allowing it to detatch. This is problematic in two ways: firstly.. no more contact between tube and atty, and secondly, no way to keep the copper leaf that provides contact with the post from the bottom of the mod in position.
Really all I need to know is what 510 assembly I can use to replace the whole system, or if there's just one or two parts I can purchase to replace the problem bits, and get this beauty up and running again.
FWjWXkP.jpg

You could try the Varitube 510 mentioned in this post by @inswva? It appears to have the added advantage of being in stock :)

The FDV 510 in my 18650 VR decided to fall apart. So, I replaced it with one of the new Varitube BF 510s designed by Drunk_J and Gdeal. This is a high quality 510, folks. Not only is it all around beefier, it performs much, much better than the FDV piece. Mod hits like a train towing two more trains now. I am amazed at how well this thing works. Can be used in the default spring loaded config or setup with a manual adjusting pin.

VT 510 - Bottom Feeding 510 - Self-Adjusting or Manual

Edit to add: this all sounded a bit familiar. Now that I look more closely, it turns out that I fitted one of the VT 510s to my VR #4. I'm a bit hazy on details, but I think I had to change it from the auto-adjusting spring loaded configuration to the manual - but I could be wrong. I'm a bit embarrassed about how little I remember about something that happened less than a year ago :blush:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread