Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hello there,

Today I have the newest Voopoo product in the Argus line, the Argus and Argus Pro. Both are pod-mods with internal batteries, but the Pro is simply bigger, with a larger battery and higher output. Both pod-mods adept with the well-known PnP pod and the RTA Pod by Voopoo.

I will mention the differences between these pod-mods throughout this review.

Thank you @VOOPOO_Thea for sending me these kits for review.

Specifications:

This time I will not put specifications with pictures, but you can find them through below links:

ARGUS Pro - VOOPOO VAPE Spark Your Moments

Argus Mod Pod - VOOPOO VAPE Spark Your Moments

Argus Parameters:

Size: 108mm(with PnP Pod)/107mm(with PnP MTL Pod) x 33mm x 30mm
Battery: 1500mAh Built-in Battery
Output Power:5-40W
Chipset: GENE.AI Chipset
Material: Alloy+Leather
Pod Material: PCTG
Output Voltage: 3.2-4.2V
Resistance Range: 0.3-3.0ohm
Output Power: 5-40W
Screen:0.96" OLED Display Screen
Capacity: 4.5ml(PnP Pod) / 2ml(PnP MTL Pod)
Charging: Type-C, 5V/1

Argus Pro Parameters:

Size:124mm x 35mm x 31mm
Battery: 3000mAh Battery integrated
Capacity: 4.5ml
Mod Material: Zinc Alloy + Leather
Resistance Range: 0.1-3.0ohm
Wattage Output Range: 5-80W
Voltage Output Range: 3.2-4.2V
Chipset: GENE.TT Chipset
Screen: OLED Display Screen
Capacity: 4.5ml(PnP Pod)
Charging: Type-C, 5V/2A

In the box:

Argus Pro:

1 x ARGUS Pro Device
1 x PnP Pod (4.5ml)
1 x PnP-VM6, 0.15ohm
1 x PnP-VM1, 0.3ohm
1 x Type-C Cable
1 x User Manual

Argus:

1 x ARGUS Device
1 x PnP Pod Tank (4.5ml)
1 x PnP MTL Tank (2ml)
1 x PnP-VM1, 0.3Ω
1 x PnP-R2, 1.0Ω
1 x Type-C Cable
1 x User Manual

So, as you can see the differences in packaging. The Argus Pro is packed in the very nice plastic case, and the Argus is not. And the Argus has an additional MTL pod, which the Argus Pro does not have. Obviously, the coils are different as the power output of each device is different.

Review:

First impression; the same thing as the Drag X/S, quite similar in looks wise, both are equipped with a similar chip, same airflow system and both use the same pods/coils. Of course there is some differences, but are they worth a different device? Also, the first Argus devices that came out were not like neither the Vinci nor Drag series. The Argus GT is a nice and unique dual 18650 mod and the Argus Air also quite a new type of device in the Voopoo line, so I am not entirely sure why Voopoo came up with the Argus and Argus Pro. Still, I am quite sure they perform outstanding just like most Voopoo devices.

Both devices feel solid and lay properly in the hand. It to me is much more comfortable than the Drag X and S. One thing they did not have to include for me is the little metal chain connector as it moves and rattles with ever movement, you can take it off with pliers if desired.

Like the looks of this device a lot, the dark matt black color if the main body of the device just looks really cool, the leather part as well and it is nice that you can customize it by taking of the frame. I am not a fan of the spatter action going on, sometimes I think it is dirt or liquid on the device.

Buttons on both devices have the same form factor, on the Argus Pro they are simply slightly bigger. All of them respond very well and feel properly installed, no rattling. Like always with the Gen chips, it just fires up like a rocket.

Always I had the impression when I first heard the names Argus and Argus Pro that the Pro version would be an 1860 or 21700 replaceable pod-mod, but to my disappointment it is not, it has an internal 3000mAh battery. Both devices on the bottom have a cap sticking out that has some ridged design to it, I was thinking it was a battery cap, but its not.

We see the same airflow system as on the Drag X/S with a lever sticking out. It allows for either a lot of air DTL hit or restricted DTL hit, it is for me not the MTL airflow I am looking for. With the airflow entirely closed you still get a loose MTL draw. Funny enough on the Argus Pro the MTL-draw is tighter than on the Argus, which is kind of unexpected. I really hoped for the Argus to allow for a tighter MTL draw as the MTL coils they have in the PnP line are good. Overall the airflow is very smooth.

If it is about the menu on both devices there is differences. The Argus is more limited with its smaller screen and lesser options, it has no color on the screen and the details are quite limited, but the navigation is the same on both devices. On both devices: 5 clicks on/of, 3 clicks to switch between modes, fire-button and down to reset puff counter and fire-button and up to lock the device. Main difference is that the Pro has 4 modes; RBA A&P, RBA P, Smart A&P and Smart P. Argus has only two modes A and P. The P stands for ‘Press’, meaning button fire only and A stands for ‘Auto-Draw’ allowing auto-draw on both devices. RBA on the Pro allows the user to set wattage with no limits, while smart recognizes the coil and does not let you go over its recommended wattage.

Something I never liked about the Gene chip is that when locking the device, you cannot fire. Auto-draw works very well on both devices, but you do feel a difference in auto-draw or press-draw, it just hits much harder on press. From my experience with similar Voopoo devices I know that at a point in time the auto-draw will not function properly. That is due to condensation build-up blocking the auto-draw ‘sensor’. I found an easy way to fix it, just pack the base (under the metal ring) with some cotton and put the device up-side-down for 15 minutes, this will allow the cotton to suck out all the excess liquid.

The Argus comes with a 1500mAh and the Argus Pro with a 3000mAh internal battery. Both devices have a plug on the front of the device under the + and - button that covers the USB-C port. One thing that stood out to me is that the Argus has 5V – 1A written under the port and the Argus Pro 5V – 2A, wondering why they did not go with 2A charging for the Argus. You are not able to vape while charging, but below battery performance I registered on both devices.

Argus Pro: full charge takes 85-90 minutes – 70W, 0.15ohm, 108 puffs
Device gets quite warm when chain vaping at 80W.

Argus: Full charge takes 85-90 minutes – 35W, 0.3ohm, 125 puffs

So, the conclusion is that the Argus needs really a bit too long for me too charge a 1500mAh battery, especially considering you just get over 100 puffs at 35W, 2A charging should have been possible. Please Voopoo, include a longer USB-C cable next time, this one is so short!

I am not going to write much about the PnP pod as I have done that so many times already. It is a nice pod and just works well and has no major issues with leaking or filling. It has a large fill-hole on the bottom for a mess-free fill and the coil options in these pods are just endless. You can choose between 12 different PnP coils which range from 10 to 80W, choice between DTL, Restricted DTL and MTL coils. That is obviously a good thing, cool options.

In the Pro kit you get a rubber tank protector whish kind of feels more to be useful design wise than protection wise, the PnP pods are made from hard plastic, so there is no reason to add any additional protection in my opinion. I also prefer the looks without.

In general, I like the PnP coils, all of them. The performance of the DTL and MTL coils are similar apart from the vaper production. Flavor is good on the PnP coils and they generally last quite long, depending on your juice of course. I do have a feeling that PnP coils are not always performing exactly the same, sometimes exactly the same type of coil loses the flavor after 4-5 days already while the exact same coil type that I put in next suddenly provides good flavor for almost 2 weeks. I did read somewhere on the internet that it helps a lot on PnP coils to comb the wicking ports out a bit so that the cotton is not too tightly packed in there, and it does help quite a bit.

Conclusion:

Again, two very well performing pod-mods by Voopoo, something I kind of got used to with their pod-mods, always good.

Like the form factor a lot and it’s a nice and comfy device to take along with me when out of home. Both vape good, perform stable and are reliable.

I personally like the Argus Pro more as it is not much bigger than the Argus but does have twice the capacity, a more 2020 looking menu and does have a tighter MTL draw.

Improvements that should have been applied are a tighter MTL draw, replaceable battery (maybe 21700?), 2A charging for the smaller battery Argus, and a longer USB-C cable.

Even though I really like the PnP pod devices, I really wish Voopoo will come with something else next time. The devices are all slightly different, but still, the coils are all the same and the vape as well.

Let me know if I missed anything on these devices, and if you have any questions, shoot!

Thank you, have a good day!

Sjoerd

Reactions: hittman

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Great review SP! I am a fan of the pnp tanks and coils. I ended up buying four of the Argus GT kits and won one on a giveaway. I also would have liked to have seen the Pro take an external battery.
Thank you :)
I also like the PnP coils, but I think we came to the point that it might be time for a new type of device by Voopoo :)

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Lots of gear has arrived lately... Trying to use the devices as long as possible, at least a week before writing down a review, still have 4 reviews to come in the coming weeks :D

I'll be watching for them. I enjoy reading your reviews.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread