Status
Not open for further replies.

ZTKT

Verified Member
May 8, 2013
United States
www.youtube.com
Folks, let's make sure of what we're talking about here:

• BOOZE ALCOHOL: This is ethanol for drinking: vodka, Everclear or moonshine. Flavored or colored boozes will lend "interesting" flavors to whatever device we're cleaning. All, except the moonshine, involve paying heavy federal and state taxes.
  • ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL: Chemically, this is a different kind of alcohol that is poisonous to drink straight out of the bottle. But, if it's labelled "USP," it's safe for cleaning anything we'd insert in our mouths (drip-tips, attys, cartos, the relevant parts of Vivi Novas, Stardusts, RBAs, etc.) provided you let whatever you cleaned with it dry thoroughly!! The 91% concentration will kill anything that lives on God's green earth. It's also dirt cheap compared with booze alcohols (again, excepting moonshine).
  • RUBBING or DENATURED ALCOHOL: Chemically, rubbing alcohol is ethanol (i.e., booze alcohol) that's been denatured (which is a fancy word for "poisoned") so you can't drink it and thereby cheat the taxmen. Sometimes, it's only denatured with methanol, but many states require the addition of non-volatile poisons. Methanol will evaporate, but any other poisons added won't. Word to the wise: don't use rubbing alcohol!

I've used isopropyl alcohol for almost every cleaning chore, when refurbishing pipes earlier on, and now for cleaning PV hardware, for over forty years without ill effect. Word to the wise: read the label.

Great info!
I'll be looking for Isopropyl Alcohol from here on out!

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Great info!

Same here. I got a big bottle of Everclear: $20. Big bottle of IPA: $1 - or $2 for the 91%.

It's also not good for some people to have drinkable alcohol around, including myself. I quit drinking ~May 2012, and even as I type this I think "Hmm, how about I just take a swig of the Everclear?" - or, "I have some lemonade right now I could mix a shot in". Maybe I better stop thinking about this. :blush: Just like trying to quit analogs, all it takes is one to fall back down the rabbit hole. I think we all know about that!
However, this DIY stuff really IS fun - it's now a hobby.

Plus, I saw another post stating that the LD50 of IPA concentration is actually HIGHER than ethanol (i.e. it takes more).
After this bottle of Everclear is finally gone and out of sight, out of mind - it's IPA for me. I wash them out with water afterwards anyways and let them thoroughly dry.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I only saw one reference to damaging tanks with high proof booze. Will Everclear or 100proof bourbon damage my Evods, iClears or ProTanks? I was considering 101proof Turkey for the job. One for the ProTank, one for me!

Well, I've been using (cheap) 100 proof vodka for the last month with no apparent ill effect on about 12 different tanks from different manufacturers, so that's a good sign for me.

I just go check out local pharmacies, and have been able to buy bottles of 99% Isopropynol. Basically almost pure rubbing alcohol. Evaporates quickly, doesn't leave a residue behind if you let it sit for even a reasonable length of time to dry. I'm careful regarding plastics, but its absolutely fine for metal and glass. If you cant find it easily, make sure to track down a compounding pharmacy. They generally have a wider variety of things, or are more able/willing to order.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I would go for rubbing alcohol, just make sure you get the 99% and not the 70%. Still I have a feeling even the 70% would be better than vodka because the alcohol / ethanol concentration in vodka is so low compared to Isopropyl.

99% Iso is very hard to get--it's sold mostly on line and is VERY flammable. Proceed with caution.

PGA is the best--non-toxic and very effective.

91% isopropyl (AKA rubbing alcohol) is very good--but needs to dry completely or be rinsed off thoroughly.

Cheap strong vodka works too.

Denture cleaning tablets are excellent. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Great info!

Good but not great. Rubbing alcohol is not the same as denatured alcohol. The term "rubbing alcohol" has become a general non-specific term for either isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) or ethyl alcohol (ethanol) rubbing-alcohol products.

Mostlyclassic's post--edited:

BOOZE ALCOHOL: This is ethanol for drinking: vodka, Everclear or moonshine. Flavored or colored boozes will lend "interesting" flavors to whatever device we're cleaning. All, except the moonshine, involve paying heavy federal and state taxes.

ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL: Chemically, this is a different kind of alcohol that is poisonous to drink straight out of the bottle. But, if it's labelled "USP," it's safe for cleaning anything we'd insert in our mouths (drip-tips, attys, cartos, the relevant parts of Vivi Novas, Stardusts, RBAs, etc.) provided you let whatever you cleaned with it dry thoroughly!! The 91% concentration will kill anything that lives on God's green earth. It's also dirt cheap compared with booze alcohols (again, excepting moonshine).

RUBBING or
DENATURED ALCOHOL: Chemically, rubbing denatured alcohol is ethanol (i.e., booze alcohol) that's been denatured (which is a fancy word for "poisoned") so you can't drink it and thereby cheat the taxmen. Sometimes, it's only denatured with methanol, but many states require the addition of non-volatile poisons. Methanol will evaporate, but any other poisons added won't. Word to the wise: don't use rubbing alcohol!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thank you all for the advice. I'd heard about using vodka to clean but as a recovering alcoholic really didn't want to purchase even a very small bottle, but water just wasn't doing the cleaning job very well. I will try the "rubbing" alcohol just making sure to rinse well.

Try denture cleaning tablets--no alcohol whatsoever and just as effective. Choose an unflavored variety, though--unless you really like mint. :D

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Hate to thread jack but would Rubbing alcohol on a cotton swap be a good way to clean thread on my mods?
Yes, it's actually what most recommend. It's probably a good idea to do that to a newly purchased mod to get any leftover machine oil/grit off the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread