Vets: Is it still hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I know we are going off topic a but but I had to give out a "me too" about a recent hospital stay. I had no idea how that two days was going to go. Much to my surprise I just left my PV in my bag and I was ok without using during the entire stay. Didn't see that one coming!

You're quite possibly already off nicotine then, and could just switch to zero nic with no fuss; the only thing is that nic gibes that peppery taste that might be missed; perhaps there's an alternative ...

It's someyime theorised, reasonably that some peple are more addicted to the nic and some to the whole range of alkaloids in tobacco. It is possible that the 'addictiveness' of nicotine alone is quite small and for those people it is quite easy to be off nicotine through the similarity of experience that an e-cog provides.

Twenty year smoker and quit over a year ago. Was a struggle at first, but been vaping on a VV ali'i with boba's bounty for six months now with no problems. I think just upping the volts and finding the right juice did it for me, before I was getting tired of any flavors I tried after a few days and the strength of the vape left me unsatisfied.

CharlieGirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
Lehigh Acres, FL
I totally getcha OP. I have been vaping about 3-4 months and still struggle with cigs. daily. It isn't so much the nicotine alone I think, because after a few hospital stays I was totally nic free and yet the craving for a cigarette was brutal! I was literally vibrating when I left the hospital and could light up again! I think some of us have more addictive brains than others, whatever that boils down to scientifically! Whether we don't make enough of those "feel good" chemicals or don't utilize them as well or whatever, I know I crave that "reward" with every fiber of my being. Almost every cigarette I don't smoke still feels like a struggle and it is just so frustrating! I truly want to hate smoking, it is not only disgusting health wise, odor wise, dollar wise, etc. etc., I despise the idea that I am lining the pockets of BT with my hard earned dollars so they can kill me, or rather help me kill myself. I do enjoy vaping too, though there is not that same level of satisfaction that the nasty weed provides. I can vape like a fiend with good equipment and high nic, maybe even too high because it sometimes gives me symptoms, and I still crave a damn cigarette! I also still like their taste and have not found a liquid whose flavor I enjoy as much. Menthol flavored juice is maybe the closest, but I even get tired of that. I don't have the money to support 2 habits, and with the recommendation of adding snus or WTA fortified liquids, 3 or 4, so WTF is wrong with me??? It is becoming maddening especially reading how so many switched over just about effortlessly and never looked back. I so want to be one of you! It isn't for lack of trying or wanting or willing or anything like that, and I certainly don't want to be one of those people who are still smoking through their laryngectomy incision for heaven sake! I've done all my homework and followed the leaders, but here I am still battling this pathetic opponent at every turn. I don't mean to come across as a whiny little wuss grovelling for sympathy, I just want to be a happy vaper and be done with cigarettes! I can't work now, yet I'm not eligible for disability because I spent more time raising my children than paying SS so I am 2 quarters short of being able to apply...I can't afford to buy tons of liquids to find my go to's, I even have to save up to DIY, so if there is an answer for me, I certainly can't afford to find it and smoke too! It makes no sense even to me, so I sure can't expect anyone else to understand! I am my own worst enemy, and yet I don't want to give up... how pathetic is that? There aren't even words to describe it without sounding masochistic or something. So trust me OP, you aren't alone, sadly, for whatever that's worth, I just wish I could give some helpful advice, instead of also being in dire need of some! Hang in there baby!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
You're quite possibly already off nicotine then, and could just switch to zero nic with no fuss; the only thing is that nic gibes that peppery taste that might be missed; perhaps there's an alternative ...

It's someyime theorised, reasonably that some peple are more addicted to the nic and some to the whole range of alkaloids in tobacco. It is possible that the 'addictiveness' of nicotine alone is quite small and for those people it is quite easy to be off nicotine through the similarity of experience that an e-cog provides.

It shall remain for the moment one of these unsolved mysteries - at least in my experience. And this is coming from someone using 26 & 30 mg liquids.

Both my GP and Allergist have their own theories. One said, based on how an e-cig works "you are only going to absorb so much nicotine." In so many words, no matter what the mg/ml there is a limit to how much can be taken in because of the delivery system. The other thinks there is far more placebo effect going on here than nicotine intake. Regardless I'm staying with my 26 mg liquids. And since 0 mg costs the same at 26 mg... ehhh. Why bother?

But more to your point, from my experience the comparison of the impact I felt on both my physiology and personality between smoking and vaping was drastic. So whatever it is I was getting from smoking I'm sure not getting the same thing through vaping. And that's a good thing.

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
I think it would be harder for me if I lived in a warmer climate AND if FS cigs were not the law in so many (if not all?) states.

I remember when I was absolutely attached to my B&H menthol lights back in the day (going on 20 years ago). Used to keep cartons of those things in my freezer. Cost of cigs kept going up up and up, quality/taste kept diminishing, and the idea of smoking in the house and subjecting my pets to second hand smoke was something I was not willing to do.

When I gave up cigs and switched to vaping, going on 2 years ago now, I was going outside to suck on a Camel menthe, or on the occasional Djarum black. Winter SUCKED - it was cold, dark, and inconvenient. The fact that cigs had gone up to about $6 a pack at that point (now they're closer to $8 a pack) made it even less attractive.

I was one of those folks who always quit and came back, quit and came back. The psychological addiction was always stronger than the physical one. Thanks to vaping, I can get the happy nicotine brain and the satisfaction of hand to mouth combat without inhaling stuff other than VG, flavoring, and nicotine.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
It was a struggle for me until I found that all day vape. I found many juices I liked but most would either be too strong or too weak or I would burn out on them quickly. I read on ecf that most new vapors look for tobacco flavors thinking that is what they will like but most find they like other flavors more. Well that's what I did I ordered fruity or candy anything and everything except tobacco flavors. Many hundreds of dollars and many bottles of juice I will never vape later I found out tobacco flavors is exactly what I want!! More specifically a tobacco that is smooth and very lightly sweet.

I sure hope y'all find that 1 juice like I did I know it is frustrating but stick at it because when you find it those cravings for analogs will completely disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread