Vaping vs Smoke Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barefoot

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Xianning, Hubei Province, China
A thought occurred to me that i haven't seen mentioned - either on the pro or anti side of the ecig debate.

The media pick up on the use of VG/PG in ecigs - and that PG is 'an ingredient in anti-freeze - yet i've never seen it mentioned that both are also used in commercial smoke machines common in nightclubs etc - and in large enough quantities to create enough 'smoke' to fill a room. Whilst i'm sure that these chemicals have been passed as 'safe' - how come i've never seen this mentioned perchance?

Aside from the fact that it obviously doesn't provide the required 'scare tactics' that is!

They also contain triethylene glycol which would appear to be more dangerous and unvapeable too!

Thoughts and corrections appreciated

Barefoot

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Xianning, Hubei Province, China
Whilst it is obvious to a Vaper - did a quick search and i've never seen it mentioned within pro vs anti debates - generally anti say anti-freeze and pro say that PG is safe - without using the smoke machine as an example of mass exposure without permission - nightclubs will these days often have a sign warning folk of lighting that may bring on epilepsy - but i've never seen a warning for those that may have an allergy to PG!

Kookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2010
Detroit, Michigan, United States
A thought occurred to me that i haven't seen mentioned - either on the pro or anti side of the ecig debate.

The media pick up on the use of VG/PG in ecigs - and that PG is 'an ingredient in anti-freeze - yet i've never seen it mentioned that both are also used in commercial smoke machines common in nightclubs etc - and in large enough quantities to create enough 'smoke' to fill a room. Whilst i'm sure that these chemicals have been passed as 'safe' - how come i've never seen this mentioned perchance?

Aside from the fact that it obviously doesn't provide the required 'scare tactics' that is!

They also contain triethylene glycol which would appear to be more dangerous and unvapeable too!

Thoughts and corrections appreciated

Well I’m going by memory, (and that’s a little shoty these days, lol) but PG is not commonly used in antifreeze. Ethylene Glycol is most common in antifreeze. Sierra antifreeze, I think made by Peak used PG. It is very hard to find locally in Detroit. Trust me, I know. I bought the last few bottles before Murray’s discontinued it and that was years ago. The reason I needed it is because you cannot mix ethylene glycol and propylene glycol antifreeze. I know of no other PG antifreeze besides Sierra. I used that in my 1988 GMC Suburban because I have dogs and it was touted as being safe unlike ethylene glycol that can kill a dog. Yes, they have used PG in antifreeze but I think it is still rare that you can find it. They like to make that analogy because people know that antifreeze is dangerous if consumed, but they are referring to ethylene glycol that can kill you.

I just wanted to address the “antifreeze” comment and inform that it is rare that PG is used as antifreeze. Now what I’m referring to as “antifreeze” is the coolant for engines. I work at the airport and we use PG as deicing fluid. (I used to be a deicer for two seasons.) It is usually a 50/50 mix of water and PG depending on the temperature. It is called Type 1 that is PG and is heated to no lower than 160°, usually 180°, and sprayed on aircraft to safely remove snow and ice. That is deicing fluid not antifreeze though. I wasn’t sure if that was commonly known. Also, it was also touted as safe. You get a lot of that in your face, well, everywhere while working.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
There are a few arguments to counter the anti's claims against both vaping and shs regulations. One that always strikes me is the fact that restaurants who use peanut products are allowed to simply post a warning sign that they use such products. Since coming in contact with peanut products can be instantly fatal for some people and neither shs or vaping is, I am always struck by the concept. Why can restaurants/bars post warning signs for peanut products to enter at your own risk but the same places are not permitted to post such signs to warn the public that smoking/vaping is allowed inside. Exposure to peanut products kills. Estimates say that in the United States, thousands of people visit the emergency room annually because of allergic reactions to food. "Somewhere around 150 to 200 people die in the U.S. each year because of food allergies. It's estimated that around 50 percent to 62 percent of those fatal cases of anaphylaxis were caused by peanut allergies." Discovery Health "How many people die each year from peanut allergies?" Ask any anti-smoker to name 3 people who have ever died due solely to shs exposure and there will be no intelligent response. There are no names. Yet, anyone can produce the names of peanut allergy victims, but it is still ok to simply post a warning sign. It is the ultimate hypocrisy.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Well I’m going by memory, (and that’s a little shoty these days, lol) but PG is not commonly used in antifreeze. Ethylene Glycol is most common in antifreeze. Sierra antifreeze, I think made by Peak used PG. It is very hard to find locally in Detroit. Trust me, I know. I bought the last few bottles before Murray’s discontinued it and that was years ago.

Prestone Low Tox and Texaco PG are also antifreeze alternatives with PG.

Tepid

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
Somewhere
The ANTZ have lost the battle on the PG side of things, they truly know this, but will still try to throw it out at the low information crowd to stir them up. Till you point out how much they ingest PG on a daily basis, then the argument falls apart, and they have to throw something else out there and see what sticks. Typical Control Crowd Tactics.

What they are centering on now, is not PG, or really even the devices themselves,, nope... it's the NIC base.
And Nicotine in general.

But, keep in mind, that this isn't about the safety of the public in any way shape or form, at all, not one bit.
Much like ObamaCare isn't about helping those who have no insurance.
Or Welfare helping only the people who really actually need it.

This is every bit about control, Do as I say crowd, I know better than you, and I don't like what you do, therefore I am going to force you to stop doing it by any means necessary. ONLY Because, I DO NOT LIKE THAT YOU DO IT.

These people need to be struck down at every turn. But much like the Gun Control crowd, no matter what happens, no matter the facts, no matter the consequences, or what the people want, they don't like it, and they are going to make sure that everyone around them does exactly what they say, and get rid of them by any means necessary. And never stop trying, ever.

We Are Borg, you will be assimilated.

Facts do not matter, only the end result, which is, I don't like it, you shouldn't do it, and I am going to force you to stop.

Let's put it a bit more succinctly ,,,, Terminator will not stop .... Ever - YouTube

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
PG from what i have heard is used a "antifreeze" used for food & drink products. i recently watched a show called "Bar Rescue" that showed it being used for new beer taps that are being used. but is is definitely not the same product used in car antifreeze.

Propylene Glycol is used in pet safe anti-freeze. It's not to be confused with Ethylene Glycol which is a normal anti-freeze ingredient and deadly to pets.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Ever wonder why vodka doesn't freeze solid in the freezer? Because it's an antifreeze. All alcohols are technically "antifreeze" (will lower the freezing point of the water, depending upon the alcohol-to-water ratio) and propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are also both a type of consumable alcohol.

So, if you're in a bar or at a party vaping and someone drinking next to you says, "I heard those things have antifreeze in them," you can tell them, "So does that drink in your hand!"

Last edited:
When someone asks me "Isn't there anti-freeze in that thing?" I say "Yes. And it also has glycerin, which is an ingredient in suppositories." Then I make that Hannibal Lecter fava bean sound. Usually that breaks the ice so I can continue to explain why I made the switch, give out a card from one of my favorite vendors, etc. I also like to include that combustible tobacco is radioactive and that e-cigs aren't. (source: www.epa.gov/radiation/sources/tobacco.html‎)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread