Vaping, more addictive than smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BangBang

Sep 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I have been vaping for only a week and a day now. Placed my first order on 8/31 and received a week later. After much research and deliberation, I settled on the V4L Ultimate Ultimatum Manual kit. It seemed the right choice given its ease of use and largely positive reviews. I added a a couple of sample cart packs to the initial order. Before I even received it, I placed another order for some additional cart flavors and a small bottle of doc pep from V4L.

When I finally got everything and took my first hit, I knew this was something special. I have only had two analogs since then (beer is to blame) compared to the pack a day habit I was in to before. After a couple of days I ordered a couple of bottles from Halocigs (Freedom Juice and Menthol Ice) and a day later a couple more batteries and some 555 from V4L.

In a nutshell, I'm already in for more than $225 (with no end in sight) and it's been less than two weeks. Before, smoking cigarettes was simple...step 1, go to store...step 2, buy cigarettes...step 3, smoke cigarettes till gone...Step 4, repeat...and eventually step 5, get cancer and die. Though not positive, still very simple.

Now I seem to always be engaged in some type of vape-related activity. I am either reading reviews, looking at products to buy, tracking my orders for things I'm waiting to be delivered, or fiddling with the carts (changing flavors/ refilling). All this why constantly vaping. Today while scouring for everything GG (my next considered purchase), it occurred to me...

vaping is more addictive than smoking.

I am hoping this is just the result of it being so new, but something tells me it's not. Being a relatively new industry, there is so much room for growth. Which can only mean more and more equipment to be developed, more juices to try and more companies to offer them.

Smoking was a habit. Vaping has quickly become both a habit and a pastime. Not that I'm complaining. Just an observation.

Has anyone else experienced the same?

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
At first perhaps but really not now - I have the same cravings for my PV that I had for my pack of cigs but Im honestly not buying stuff other than spares or replacement parts / replacement juice now.
If I wasn't chain vaping Id be chain SMOKING at weekends when Im at home. When I go out I use the PV far far less than I used to smoke and tend to only take a couple puffs if I feel I 'need' nic rather than how many puffs a whole cig was.
Ive also seen anecdotal evidence from here on the forums that vaping is actually easier to give up than smoking was (for those people that wish to cut all ties to any habit) :)

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Hmm... yes and no.

Do I enjoy vaping more than smoking? Very much so.

Do I feel I'm more addicted? Not really. If anything, I think I'm less addicted.

I was a 30-a-day smoker. A cig every 30 minutes. And if I missed one, I became irritable almost immediately.

I can go hours without vaping, just out of laziness, if my cartos run dry and I just can't be bothered to fill them.

I don't feel like I MUST VAPE NOW OR I'M GOING TO KILL SOMEONE like I did with cigarettes. Sure, I get hit with a craving once in a while. But not very often anymore.

I do enjoy the hobby, but my acquisition has slowed down. I have found what e-cigs I like to vape, what e-cigs I don't like to vape, I know the juices I like, and the juices I don't like. I really don't want or need any more than I currently have.

I enjoy making DIY juice, and I get a lot of joy out of these forums - especially this section.

But I do plan to taper down and quit. And I don't think it will be that bad - at least nowhere near as bad as smoking. And even after I do, I can still sit around and enjoy a no-nic vape sometimes, just for the pleasure of it.

Even though I spend more time on it, and get more pleasure from it, I don't feel "owned" by vaping the way I did with cigarettes.

Last edited:

DawnH

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
Ozarks in Arkansas
Good grief yes! I am soooooooooooo addicted to vaping and everything connected to it! I bought 2 starter kits, one for me, one for my friend. I won't give the name, but I think it's an 808 and had cartomizers. The guaranty for life "battery" is what made me order from them. Then I got hooked on this forum and ordered a 510. Wow! What a difference THAT made! With the 808 I was still smoking, but with the 510, I only smoke maybe 1 a day, if that! Meanwhile, I'm a menthol smoker, so here I am, on all these different e-juice sites, ordering 1 bottle to find just the right mix for ME. I am just so addicted to reading all about vaping and finding all these neat sites to order juice from! I finally bought a passthru and I absolutely LOVE this thing! After I pay off my Discover from THIS month, next month I want to get an Ego, mainly, something to last me all day at work. I only get one break a day and there's not enough time to mess with changing out batteries etc. I don't get out in public much, but when I do, I am showing off my 510 and last week, someone wanted me to order them one. (They don't have a computer LOL) So tomorrow, after work, I'll be going by there to drop it off and show them how to use it. Oh the joys of vaping! There are 2 other friends that smoke, but seems VERY hesitant to get off the analogs. I told them it will take patience and they have to WANT to get off them and onto the 510. Like you said, go to the store, buy smokes and smoke them, easy as that.

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
I'm with mistress...I can go "without" much longer and not panic, BUT, I'm more addicted to the flavors now, than the nicotine. Its weird. I'm slowly working down the nicotine levels just as a natural progression, as it feels I'd have to TRY to maintain a higher nic if I didn't. I'm in no rush either way though, and I just taking my vaping easy, and enjoy. I've found my place of contentment with my models, atties, juices etc. I still try new stuff, but only because I can, not for a certain need. I dig this whole "relaxed" ora I have around the habit now, vs. the massive stress I had with analogs.
I'll say it again...The "relaxed" ora around e cigs seemed to have followed through life itself as well, so I dig it.

Last edited:

lairkeeper

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2010
Upstate, South Carolina
I was never as desperate for my PV as I was for a cigarette. And now, in less than 7 months, I'm down to 0 nic (havent had nic in at least 2 months) and only vape when I want. The same batteries that only lasted for a few hours in the beginning now last me all day or longer. It is costly to get started, but once you find your "groove" it'll settle down fast.

banjo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2010
Rio Oso, CA
I think that vaping is as addictive as smoking because of the nicotine. ECigs and cigarettes are both little more than nicotine delivery systems. The former, though, provides us with a lot more options - and, consequently, more ways to spend our money, which I have certainly done over the last couple of months. I do expect though that my spending will decrease over time....

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
I think that vaping is as addictive as smoking because of the nicotine. ECigs and cigarettes are both little more than nicotine delivery systems. The former, though, provides us with a lot more options - and, consequently, more ways to spend our money, which I have certainly done over the last couple of months. I do expect though that my spending will decrease over time....

There are more addictive chemicals in cigs besides just nicotine.

And they aren't in e-cigs. I think this is the reason a lot of us feel more "relaxed" about vaping and have an easier time tapering off than we did with cigs.

eruelas

Jul 23, 2010
California
I also go like MistressNomad, but I am still buying a lot of sample juices right now because I want to find a flavor I can vape all day. I am looking for a high voltage mod, but it is not something that I truly need, I am happy vaping the 510 cartomizers on a hello 016 right now, and I am also happier with vaping than with cigarettes, but when I am hanging out with friends that are smoking, I tend to chain vape like crazy.

I guess my addiction comes from the fact that vaping makes me feel better.

Best regards.

BangBang

Sep 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
There are more addictive chemicals in cigs besides just nicotine.

And they aren't in e-cigs. I think this is the reason a lot of us feel more "relaxed" about vaping and have an easier time tapering off than we did with cigs.

Absolutely true. I have a friend who was in middle management for one of the large cigarette companies. The stuff he used to tell me about the tests they did there, always looking for ways to improve "customer loyalty" through chemicals would blow your mind. Perhaps that's why he no longer works for them.

WickedWrister

Aug 29, 2010
MO
I don't think it is more addicting to me personally. I do know I'm spending more money now on e-cig stuff than I was an analogs, but I've only been doing it for two weeks. (No analogs since I started..and I wasn't even trying to quit) The reason I have spent more is because I'm trying to find my favorite juice and equipment. I don't have a problems with batteries like a lot of other people do, mine is trying to find something that will hold ample juice and more importantly vape most of the juice I put in there instead of the filler retaining most of the juice and having to top it off constantly. Once I find my "happy place" with everything, I'm sure my spending will go down a bunch. So I do know what you mean by it feeling more addicting than smoking. Every night I keep telling myself you need to go to bed but I stay up and check out the forum and juice sites etc. This sure beats the hell out of smoking.

Denrock316

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
Ohio, USA
I've bought a lot recently. (I have 4 orders I'm waiting to come in). I'm still kinda new though about 2 months vaping and finally 1 week analog free. Once my USB pass-throughs come in though I only see myself maybe buying a little e-juice. In the 2 months I've been vaping I've spent roughly about $500 on 2 510 kits, 550ml of various e-juices, a bunch of extra carts attys, batteries etc. I smoked about a carton a week which is about $50 (I smoke the cheaper ones) So I'm about $100 behind atm but I'm stocked up to vape for about a year with no more purchases so in about 2 more weeks I'll break even then enjoy huge savings after that. I've bought a lot of juice but it wasn't from searching for an all day vape, I found too many flavors I love and many I could vape all day. I also like feeling of knowing I am set for a long while.

PS - And yes I am spending way too much time on this forum but I've always liked forums. I used to really spend a lot of time on Computer/ gaming forums too.

Last edited:

coralie

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
USA, Chicago area
I was more addicted to my pv at first, researching, taste-testing, getting used to the change. I tapered off on the cigarettes *super* slowly and have now been vaping a year. In general I am much more relaxed. Yes, I vape more often than I smoked, but I don't get irritable as easily. It's much more peaceful to me. And I don't buy much stuff at all anymore. I've settled on my favorites. So the "addiction phase" has passed and I feel less controlled, and more in control. I'm sure you'll feel the same in time.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Vaping seems to have more addictive components than smoking. I enjoy all of the "stuff" associated with vaping. I immediately began the quest for maximum vapor and flavor and build my first mod 4 days after starting to vape... I built an AC powered 5 volt setup that is pretty hysterical to look at at, but YOWZA, lots of great vapor and flavor...

Oh yeah, back to the addiction... I was roughly a pack of analogs per day, now I occasionally have one cig a day... but I'm convinced I am FAR more addicted to nicotine than I was before, but that doesn't actually bother me. Perhaps I'll cut back over time, but for the moment, I have been known to chain vape for hours at a time, because I never used to smoke in my home or in my office... now, I vape places that I NEVER smoked...

So yeah... I feel it feeds the following addictions:

1) Nicotine
2) Oral Fixation
3) Shopping Addiction (NEED---- MORE---- JUICE)

Just my two cents...

And hello... I'm new to the forum!

Kaen6

Aug 15, 2010
United States
I'm more addicted to the feeling of not being addicted to analogs. I've spent a lot over the past 3 or 4 weeks just because I'm terrified they'll be pulled from the market, so I'm more or less "stocking up". But I did the math on this and with what I've bought and what I anticipate buying on a regular basis, I've ultimately got this down to about a dollar a day, conservatively, over $6.50 a day buying analogs. I vape more at night than during the day, which is completely opposite of when I was smoking analogs exclusively. That is largely due to my addiction to the forums: I'm spending a lot of time reading on here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread