Vaping at the Doc's Office: Doc gives e-ciggies 2 thumbs up :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kauaifinn

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2008
Kauai, Hawaii
I wrote to Steve (at PureSmoker) about this, but thought this story was worth sharing with others as well.

I had a doctor's appointment today, and when doc came into the exam room, i was eager to show him my new "toy" (my e-cig) and announce that i'm no longer smoking.

The moment he saw the e-cig in my hand, his eyes widened with excitement! He said he had just been researching these gadgets online & thought it was a fantastic idea & insisted i give him a demonstration.

So, considering i was in a doctor's office, i took a light drag (just enough to pull a slight bit of vapor).

He looked a little disappointed and said that he had seen e-cig videos online that put out a lot of vapor.
I said, "Oh, you want to see the vapor? OK...." And so i gave my e-cig a good hit and let out a big billow of vapor.

Well, i thought my doc was going to urinate in his pants. He was SO delighted! He then made me come out and give a demonstration to the rest of the staff in the clinic. LOL!!

Imagine this scenario: A waiting room full of patients watching their Doctor, Nurses & other clinic staff standing around a patient urging her to SMOKE! LOL!! I gave my e-cig a couple more hefty drags and let out billows of vapor to everyone's delight & curiosity (and i cannot even begin to imagine what the patients might have been thinking. haha!)

My doc was very impressed & said he thought this was the greatest thing since sliced bread ....and from all his research, he could not find any harm in smoking e-cigs whatsoever. (In cases of patients who should not be taking nicotine: he said it was fanastic that e-cigs also sell decreasing levels to even zero-nicotine caps).

OH! And then fun part is when i expressed my dismay that i was down to my last capsule & my order for e-juice from PureSmoker hadn't arrived yet, and that my only hope to continue vaping would be to extract remaining liquid from used caps: my doc immediately started loading me up with all sorts of syringes so that i could recover e-juice from all my used caps!

In short: My doc gave e-cigs 2 thumbs up and was surprisingly supportive and enthusiastic of the idea. He even said he plans to buy a bunch of these e-ciggies himself -to let some of his chronic smoking patients give them a try (and some for his friends)(and i suspect one for himself :)).

He wanted to know where i recommended buying them, and of course i had to recommend PureSmoker.com for many reasons. Best of all has been PureSmoker's customer service. Steve always responds to email questions promptly & is incredibly informative. I've never experienced customer support like this before! My doc wrote the website down -and with all the excitement, we almost forgot why i had come in to see him in the first place. LOL!

Anyway, i came home from my doctors appointment with hands full of syringes of all sizes (feeling too happy to be aware of the fact that i probably looked like a ...... addict rushing home for a fix) and managed to successfully extract an amazing amount of remaining juice from used caps with no problem, .....and am now sitting here happily vaping off my recovered "2nd-hand juice." WhoooHooo!

It's quite encouraging to have a physician not only reassure me of the safety of e-smoking, but also support it & share the same excitement of this discovery!

For the first time in my life, i can honestly say that my doctor made me smoke. :D

**Oh, and in the waiting room prior to my appointment: i vaped away in my seat and was only detected by one person who did not know what to make of the mist coming out of my nose while i was nibbling on what looked like nothing but a black pen. *grin*

Aloha!

kauaifinn

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2008
Kauai, Hawaii
Very funny, and great to hear.
I just Hope these same Doctors are around if the government decides to stick their nose in things.

I agree! I'm terrified that just when i've finally discovered this wonderful gadget, some government agency will step in and take it away from me.

I'd be furious! 8-o

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That is a great story, and medicine needs more doctors like yours. My doctor was extremely pleased that I'd quit smoking, but didn't seem to care one way or another how I'd done it. I just .. wasn't smoking, and that made him so happy he too forgot why I was there. I demo'd my e-cig for him.

Truth is, though, that I'd have a hard time recommending any of today's e-smoking gizmos to the general public. Too much trouble. Too unreliable. We are so close to the next generation of e-devices and people like our Dr. Loi are going to get us there. Until then ...

When I recieved my 1st ecig, I told my girlfriend that it was the greatest invention of all time. Of course I was just being silly, but I think it is a very great invention, at least of this millenium thus far...don't you think?

I think in the future when these devices get better, it could be serious business. I can see the ecigs NOT every being banned, as they are simply a device. I went to my local head shop the other day, and there was 100 different types of papers, 00's of types of water pipes, bongs, and atomizors or course. These shops don't sell the stuff you need to fill these apperati, but nonetheless, they are not illegal.

the eliquid/carts may have to be sold seperately, as they do contain a drug. this is where it might get sticky. but luckily the internet is around and we should always be able to get the liquid/carts from 'somewhere'. so i'm not worried about it.

Tumbleweed4829

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2008
Virginia, USA
Similar thing happened at my doctor's office. I showed her and her face lit up and she called another doctor in for me to show him too. They asked me all kinds of questions because they have never heard about them or seen them before. The doctor told me she was so proud of me for quitting smoking yet I wonder if doctors are just so happy that we quit that they don't care about how the e-cig wll affect us (I mean they really don't know).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread