Status
Not open for further replies.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
I don't think I've ever been harassed by a vaper or non-vaper, my immediate loved ones maybe when I first started and only out of concern.

I educated then and showed them proof, my wife now which was one of the most concerned people is now a 3 and a half year vaper and can now run and get up in the morning without coughing.

Quite honestly, if it's someone outside of your circle tell them to piss off, If it's someone you care about education will go a long way and if you have facts to backup what you say they won't be as closed minded as a stranger would because they would actually care.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I think maybe for a lot of us the barrage of people giving us negativity in regards to vaping hits a sore spot in part because we spent so many years being the abuse magnates of the world for being smokers. To me it was kind of like "Really? You harangued me for years to quit smoking and now you are starting it up again? How about it's a nonya!"

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I don't think I've ever been harassed by a vaper or non-vaper, my immediate loved ones maybe when I first started and only out of concern.

I educated then and showed them proof, my wife now which was one of the most concerned people is now a 3 and a half year vaper and can now run and get up in the morning without coughing.

Quite honestly, if it's someone outside of your circle tell them to piss off, If it's someone you care about education will go a long way and if you have facts to backup what you say they won't be as closed minded as a stranger would because they would actually care.

To be honest, I've had a few that "heard the bad things about vaping on the news" more than once, but usually, I just tell them it's propaganda, the tests were faked to give bad results because too many has too much to loose if people stop smoking...

A single medium size city looses 1/2 a million in taxes alone per week if just 20% of smokers quit. ( I did the math with actual figures)

I then tell them about VG and PG usages since the 50s, and that in over 10 years of vaping, not a single bad health issue has arisen, but every smoker that mentions that they have switched to vaping have had their health improved (some will state by quite a lot).

Then I tell them, instead of listening to the anti-vaping crap, just go and look for "real" information instead.

I've yet to see a single person argue at this point aside the (but.. news!) and at that point I know that these are the type of person that I could sell a bridge to.

I guess the people here stating that they keep getting harassed just hang around the bad type of people or just can't explain things in a calm and tactful way.

KurtF

Jan 15, 2017
North Carolina, USA
Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Just remind them that one of the best aids to quitting smoking is family and friends' support and thanks to vaping, you are managing quite well without theirs.
Oh snap.

Really I guess it just depends on the people.. maybe I just live in a more "to each his own" type of an area..
Where do you live? I may want to retire there.

I think that those with the "short" (and possible "angry") responses to others would not help the situation.

I think the goal should be to educate others to understand that they have only heard the propaganda, and what's needed is the truth to be heard and known.

I'd rather have people that don't vape on our side instead, that they would be ready to accept vaping as an alternative that so far, doesn't have any proven bad factors compared to smoking, so that when the topic comes up, they are educated with correct information.

Your job is to make them aware that it's a positive to vape instead of smoking.
:thumb:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Oh snap.

Where do you live? I may want to retire there.

:thumb:
I'm just glancing over my list of people I would expect to use the phrase "Oh Snap". Funny, it appears your name is remarkably close to the bottom....

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I fell to my knees and cried hysterically. Nobody has brought it up since. 5 years and counting....
Bold and hilarious! What was that about a man card?
Latest one I heard just recently is that vaping causes pneumonia and I should be really careful.
What? Because it dries out your lungs?

I believe vaping saved my life after my heart surgery. It turns out that pneumonia is the leading cause of death after heart surgery. The doctor was amazed at how clear my lungs were.
Really I guess it just depends on the people.. maybe I just live in a more "to each his own" type of an area..
San Antonio is pretty relaxed. When I went to Boston last year, people kept warning me that vaping is not acceptable there. Not a very relaxed, accepting place apparently.

Stinkytofus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New York City
bit of background story before I start :D
I was a smoker for "only" 6+ years, a pack of Reds a day, sometimes 2. Started vaping about 3months ago, after that initial first week of vaping, I havent touched any cigarettes since. My body feels much better than I ever was.

but then, about a month ago, my parents and relatives discovered that I vape, since then they bombard me with "those articles" about the "dangers" of vaping, and today, the local newspaper wrote one of those article, I read it and to be honest, it's bs, it's something along the line of "the chemical in e-cigs (PG/VG/etc) are carcinogens/dangerous", that's it, no data, no reference, nothing. Since then, I feel the pressure and constant bombardment is getting worse. Of course I stood firm because I know what is better for me and what vaping is really all about. But to be honest, this happening constantly is getting annoying. sometimes it feels that people implied "you're better off smoking".
How do you guys deal with this? How to explain to them about the real benefit of vape over stinkies?

I just tell them be glad im not on cigarettes which has up to 5000 chemicals and many of them cancer causing

I understand what u going through, my mom and gf is changing their tone to "why dont u just quit it all?"

Before was "why dont you quit cigarettes", "oh ecigs, good!", then they start coming at me with articles with no references no proof and i tell them "u cant believe everything newspaper says"

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
San Antonio is pretty relaxed. When I went to Boston last year, people kept warning me that vaping is not acceptable there. Not a very relaxed, accepting place apparently.
I've met a number of people who've moved here from Boston.
Relaxed is most definitely not a word I would use to describe them.
:laugh:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I want to see photos of their faces when they get there.:lol:

When north-easterners move to central Kentucky, it takes about six months for them to completely adjust to the slower pace and enjoy it (if they aren't wondering that I have shoes and and a whole bunch of teeth).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread