Vaping and anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2016
I have started vaping a year ago and I've always had anxiety but not as bad as it is now. I started vaping at 12mg but when I bought a better vape I went down to a 6 and now a 3. I was never a cigarette smoker, just socially would smoke. But in this past year, I've had major anxiety and been to the hospital for it twice. I feel like I'm gonna past out, but don't actually pass out. I have rapid heart rate and that makes it hard to sleep at night, so I have just one drink every night to calm me down. I can't even shower without these symptoms. Like I literally have to wash my hair and body outside of the shower. Last time I was in the hospital for this, they said it could be my nicotine intake but I only vape on 3mg which is almost the lowest. I vape like crazy and I don't want to stop so I was wondering if going down to a 0mg would help? I don't know what to do and I don't want to feel like this everyday. I'm only 22 but it stops me from doing the things I want to do.

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
I agree with sonicbomb, it's probably not vaping, but try zero nic. I have anxiety and panic attacks too. I need to avoid caffeine, but nic is fine for me (and I vape 24 mg). I know for me, once I have one panic attack, they seem to escalate until I can somehow break the cycle. A doctor can help you out with this. You may need some meds for a short time to get through it. It does get better in time! Hang in there!

Forkeh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
California
Well vaping certainly isn't causing your anxiety disorder. That's a brain thing, and a legitimate illness. However, stimulants have been shown to exacerbate anxiety, therefore reducing, or completely eliminating, your stimulant intake may improve symptoms. Nicotine is a stimulant. So is caffeine. I would try strictly limiting, or eliminating both.

But I also think that you should consult with your doctor. You have a legitimate brain disorder, and it sounds like your symptoms are pretty serious. You would certainly benefit from medical care. Even if you can reduce some of your symptoms by reducing or eliminating stimulants (and there's no guarantee there. It helps some people, not everyone), the underlying causes are still going to be there, and you might still have some symptoms, any may still be at risk for future anxiety attacks.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I have heard, from a respectable source, that anxiety disorders, if uncontrolled, can be progressive. Seeing a doctor is a very good idea.

Because I have dropped so low in nic, I don't vape as regularly as smoking. I do like to sit and vape and that is probably a healthy thing. Relaxing, to disperse stress, is helpful to me.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I have suffered with anxiety problems for many years. When I smoked and now after 4+ years of vaping. My anxiety is up and down like a yo yo, but I never once attributed it to smoking or vaping.

I was in therapy for years and have been on every medication ever made. I have had to accept that this is just the way it is for me so I take the good with the bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread