vapesafe 2 and Shortstop - sub-ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaseruckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Chicago Area
Was wondering if people were experiencing this same problem with the Shortstop by Holocron. I have 2 genesis atty's setup at 0.7 ohms. My vapesafe 2 can handle the 0.7ohms but every time I use the Shortstop, it always cuts off with a fresh battery. Only thing I can think of is that the amp limit 5 amps on the Shortstop, vapesafe 6 amps. Can you go pass 5 amps with a 0.7 ohms on a fresh battery? I'm pretty sure the shortstop is still working since it seems to just reset and allows me to use it with a partially drained battery or with higher ohms.

Should I just stop using the fuse protection all together? What worries me is the fact the some of my mods don't use hot springs and just use direct contact. So far right now 0.7-0.8 ohms have been my sweet spot for the juices I've been using lately with my mechanicals, I kind of don't want to go to 1.0 ohms or higher.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
0.7 ohms resistance at 4.2 volts draws 6 amps. I think if you keep kicking out the Shortstop it will eventually fry.

Check out this calculator. Just plug in any 2 variables (voltage and resistance) and it will calculate the rest.

I'm vaping this K100 mechanical and a AGA-T2 with a 0.7 - 0.8 ohm coil made with 27 awg Kanthal with a good IMR 18650 battery in it. I'm not using a fuse or a hot spring. My coil is stable (it's not changing resistance during use). It could suddenly short and draw a lot more power from the battery and if that happens I am counting on three things to keep me safe. 1) My coil will pop (melt) and stop the discharge. 2) My battery will become very hot and I will notice that and stop the discharge. 3) My battery is a safer chemistry IMR battery that can become very hot before it explodes.

If I were you I would continue to use the Vapesafes. Buy a couple more just so you have spares. It's working for you and it gives you an extra layer of protection in the system. All the while that you are using this setup you are gaining experience with it. If you trip a Vapesafe take it seriously, know that you have a short and fix that before you continue vaping.

Last edited:

Jaseruckus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Chicago Area
Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the replies. I knew that it couldn't have been a short since the shortstop worked with the battery partially drained and tripped with a fresh battery. I just didn't know that 0.7 ohms could exceed 5 amps. I think I'll just use the fuse protections for setting up the coils and then take them out. The signs mentioned earlier of detecting a short should be easy. Thanks again for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread