My 1.5 ohm coil is tripping my shortstop

Status
Not open for further replies.

card

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
TX
For some reason when I use a 1.5 ohm coil in my Igo L with Efest 18350 800 mAh battery my shortstop fuse is getting tripped up. This happens every time I go below about 1.9 ohms with all my RBAs. The battery should support up to 6.4 amp draw and with this setup the output should be about 2.5 amps. Ohms law A=V/R 3.7v/1.5ohms=2.47 amps. According to my multimeter there is no short and I always test with a dry burn. With the shortstop in the dry burn goes out after a 3-5 second pulse. Any ideas why this is happening? .

Equipment Recap:

sigelei mech #20 Version 2
Caravela Clone mod
Igo L with a 1.5ohm coil
Efest 18350 800 mAh

side note: When I vape without the fuse the bottom spring gets very hot.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Do you have any standard equipment (carto, clearo, disposable atty, etc) in a similar resistance range you could throw on those devices, just to rule out the problem being anything with the coil/build?

And When you list two mechs, I assume that mean this same issue happens with both of them?

Tripping the shortstop means very high current draw. Heating up springs can mean very high current draw AND/OR poor conductivity in that area. Although poor conductivity wouldn't increase the current load as I figure, it would just reduce performance delivered to the coil.

I'd look for something inside the mod that's shorting out, and quadruple check there is no issue with your build.

card

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
TX
ok rebuild 1

.6 x .1 mm ribbon kanthal equivalent of 30 ga kanthal
1.5 ohm coil

Dry burn test battery one in sigelei 20: lit up real fast in the center first and spreads to the rest of the coil then tripped in less than a second as soon as entire coil is red.
Dry burn test on battery 2 in sigelei 20: (same battery just the other of the pair): Same results as battery one.
Dry burn test on a 650 mAh ego: Quickly lit up and held first for 5 second pulse, then held for a full 10 second pulse with no problem. The ego battery does not feel warm to the touch.

This apears consistent with the poor conductivity in the mod theory.

card

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
TX
Since you say the spring is getting hot, which I assume is the ground spring? Check the resistance from the top of the spring to ground on the body to see if you get high resistance.

When I check the resistance of the spring and bottom cap ground I get an inconsitent reading ranging from 1 ohm to 1.5 ohms, seams to level off closer to 1 ohm.

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
When I check the resistance of the spring and bottom cap ground I get an inconsitent reading ranging from 1 ohm to 1.5 ohms, seams to level off closer to 1 ohm.

Ideally it should be closer to .1-.2 ohms......for the entire mod. That may very well be the issue for the heat, try cleaning, tightening, or any other adjustments that may be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread