Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeygizmo

Perfectly Imperfect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
South Carolina
Just saw the thread on "Pay It Forward" regarding the good deal on e-juice at Vaper Renu ($7.00 for 30mls) and went to the website to check it out. I established an account to place an order and prior to entering my credit card info noticed that it isn't a secure site? Shouldn't the address be https// if it's secured?

Not a computer wiz so please feel free to educate me :) Not so sure about sending CC info via internet unless it is secured/encrypted/safe (or appears to be)...

TIA

Pokeygizmo

Perfectly Imperfect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
South Carolina
Just got a reply via email from the site-owner / store-owner regarding this issue...

He is currently working on fixing the security issue and it should all be good this weekend!

He was very quick with his reply (like, within 20 minutes). Great customer support/service already!

Looking forward to trying his juices...

candre23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2010
NJ
chipandre.com
No, it's not secured. I wouldn't really worry about it, because someone would have to be actively attempting a man-in-the-middle attack on your computer as you are placing the order. This is incredibly unlikely. Of all the ways for someone to get your CC info online, this is probably the last one you should worry about.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Just got a reply via email from the site-owner / store-owner regarding this issue...

He is currently working on fixing the security issue and it should all be good this weekend!

He was very quick with his reply (like, within 20 minutes). Great customer support/service already!

Looking forward to trying his juices...

Hi there PokeyGizmo,
I was going to order from Vapor Renu also, but I had a couple of Q's for them first, but I did register for the time being. He even gave me his Corona, CA address. My Q is: After you order their juice can you come back and let us know how they are? Also, when you go to order there, they give you an option for all PG, PG/VG blend, or the Vapor Renu blend. Do you know what the Vapor Renu blend is? They don't explain that on their site.

Last edited:

Neekyme

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2010
PA
Hi there PokeyGizmo,
I was going to order from Vapor Renu also, but I had a couple of Q's for them first, but I did register for the time being. He even gave me his Corona, CA address. My Q is: After you order their juice can you come back and let us know how they are? Also, when you go to order there, they give you an option for all PG, PG/VG blend, or the Vapor Renu blend. Do you know what the Vapor Renu blend is? They don't explain that on their site.

The Vapor Renu blend is 75PG/15VG(10 is proprietary secret) according to his post in the Suppliers Forum (can't link yet..sorry, but it's post 22 of the "30ml for $5.85..." thread)

Harleymedic53

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Appleton, Wisconsin
I just recieved an order from them. I think their juice is pretty good. And very costomizable on site. Good prices and the juices taste pretty good. I would suggest getting the aggressive TH tho. I ordered medium cuz i figured it would be more standard and average and it was pretty mild. Good prices tho! i'll be going back

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
Thanks for the link to the reviews - I ordered some stuff when the sale notice went up a day or two ago, so now I can whet my postbeing-stalking-machete. I mean anticipation. Whet my anticipation.

The "s" in https:// in your browser bar mostly reassures you that the info being sent to your screen from the website is secure. That's one reason banking websites and such tend to use it - you wouldn't want anyone to "overhear" your account number and balance just because you checked it yourself.

Information you type into a field can get from your screen to the website owner in a number of ways, some secure and some not so much. On a site that displays without HTTPS, the "send" button can be sending to an HTTPS URL, and that's fine for the purpose but less visible to you than what's in your browser bar.

I didn't notice at the time whether he was using a shopping cart application (usually pretty safe) or a simple POST field (not really any security measures at all there, short HTTPS) - but as candre23 said, it's very unlikely that typing in a CC from your home computer would be a problem even then. If your connection is wireless, that's one reason to worry (unless the connection is encrypted). And never, ever, how many times can I say ever in one post ever buy online from a coffee shop hotspot or other public connection - because there, the chances of someone sniffing traffic trying to overhear CC info goes up by a factor of YES, ABSOLUTELY.

The best answer is to use an actual credit card from a bank with good customer service. The next best is to open a free checking account somewhere and keep no more than you intend to spend as mad money in the account, and think of that debit card as disposable - it will get scammed somehow, so make sure when it does and your account gets frozen at best or emptied at worst, you won't miss that money too badly while the whole thing gets resolved. You can also go to a lot of check-cashing places to get an "account" that you charge with cash and spend from the associated debit card, but you're far likelier to lose all your money forever that way because their customer service can be less than enthusiastic. (Sorry, I don't mean to lecture you personally; it's just hard for me to stop the safe-online-ordering spiel once it starts.)

Credentials: I haven't done web design in showing-my-age-now years, but I do IT support professionally and this is the kind of thing I often have to advise home users and SO/HO users on.

reverendg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2010
washington USA
www.themadvaper.com
Thanks for the link to the reviews - I ordered some stuff when the sale notice went up a day or two ago, so now I can whet my postbeing-stalking-machete. I mean anticipation. Whet my anticipation.

The "s" in https:// in your browser bar mostly reassures you that the info being sent to your screen from the website is secure. That's one reason banking websites and such tend to use it - you wouldn't want anyone to "overhear" your account number and balance just because you checked it yourself.

Information you type into a field can get from your screen to the website owner in a number of ways, some secure and some not so much. On a site that displays without HTTPS, the "send" button can be sending to an HTTPS URL, and that's fine for the purpose but less visible to you than what's in your browser bar.

I didn't notice at the time whether he was using a shopping cart application (usually pretty safe) or a simple POST field (not really any security measures at all there, short HTTPS) - but as candre23 said, it's very unlikely that typing in a CC from your home computer would be a problem even then. If your connection is wireless, that's one reason to worry (unless the connection is encrypted). And never, ever, how many times can I say ever in one post ever buy online from a coffee shop hotspot or other public connection - because there, the chances of someone sniffing traffic trying to overhear CC info goes up by a factor of YES, ABSOLUTELY.

The best answer is to use an actual credit card from a bank with good customer service. The next best is to open a free checking account somewhere and keep no more than you intend to spend as mad money in the account, and think of that debit card as disposable - it will get scammed somehow, so make sure when it does and your account gets frozen at best or emptied at worst, you won't miss that money too badly while the whole thing gets resolved. You can also go to a lot of check-cashing places to get an "account" that you charge with cash and spend from the associated debit card, but you're far likelier to lose all your money forever that way because their customer service can be less than enthusiastic. (Sorry, I don't mean to lecture you personally; it's just hard for me to stop the safe-online-ordering spiel once it starts.)

Credentials: I haven't done web design in showing-my-age-now years, but I do IT support professionally and this is the kind of thing I often have to advise home users and SO/HO users on.

You can also use a random number generator that assigns a new one time use number for your credit card, allowing only the amount you type in the field to be charged to your credit card. I know discover has this as a desktop application, as I'm sure several other cards do.

and if you use several credit cards on line you can actually get hardware that you swipe the card through and it will encrypt the number for you. I've seen these at tiger direct, but it's after 1:30 a.m. here and I'm not really seeing straight.

As far as the coffee shops and wi-fi hot spots I agree This is dangerous, but you can also protect the i.s.p of your computer with zone alarm. It can hide part or all of your address so there is no traceback.

reverendg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2010
washington USA
www.themadvaper.com
Thanks for the post, reverendg. All info is nice to know. Happy vaping.

Happy vaping to you as well seabrook.

I was born in oceanside!! haven't been there in a very long time though. Went to cooking school at the sandiego base right next door in .well let's just say a long time ago :) age withheld I've said too much already :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread