Vandy Vape Requiem RTA | Reviews by Z-Lee

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Vandy vape Requiem rta

1685397544180.png

Let's go, round two! I have another Sourcemore review for you today, and this time we'll be taking a look at the diverse Requiem rta by Vandy Vapes and El Mono Vapeador. I just finished a review for the GeekVape B100 Aegis Boost Pro 2 also sent to me by Sourcemore if you're interested in checking that out.

Where do I even begin? The Requiem RTA is the first RTA I've ever seen or received with 5 interchangeable tank and top cap components accommodating airflow. Yes, Steam Crave has some crazy kits with 4 different decks and tank sizes, but those components do not pertain to airflow. All of the pieces that come with this kit enable the versatility offered by this RTA in allowing it to be used in MTL all the way to DL. Many atomizers boast full MTL to DL functioning, but do they actually achieve that? Does Vandy Vape's Requiem RTA achieve that? Let's find out!

I appreciate Joyi's kindness over at Sourcemore for being patient with the release of my reviews. I like having the ability to fully test a product out and wear it out some before submitting a review on it. Sure, almost everything functions as its supposed to right out of the package, but how does it last over time? Yes, I want to know that as well, and I want the ability to be able to share that info with you, the potential future purchaser. As a reviewer, this critique will remain fair and honest.

Can you dig it? (we can dig it). Can y'all dig it? (we can dig it). Shall we? :w00t:

(photos can be clicked on and zoomed in for easier viewing)

• Overview •

Colorways:
    1685399303728.png

Options are:
    > Stainless Steel
    > Matte Black
    > Matte Black Red
    > Frosted Grey

Key Features:

1685399424883.png

> 4.5ml e-juice capacity, innovative juice flow
    > 3 airflow sets and chimneys, supports MTL, RDL and DL
    > Airflow straight from the side for RDA-like experience
    > 2 top caps and drip tips, fit for 810 & 510 system
    > PSU material, high temperature and corresion resistance
    > Easy coil installation and wicking

Product Specs & Packaging:

1685399555648.png

Specs:

Brand: Vandy Vape
    Product Name: Requiem RTA
    Product Size: 40.75*Φ24mm (diameter)
    Material: PSU
    Capacity: 4.5ml
    Fit For: 510/810 drip tip system
    Color: SS, Matte Black, Matte Black Red, Frosted Grey

The Vandy Vape Requiem RTA Tank Atomizer Comes With:

1* Vandy Vape Requiem RTA
    1* MTL Top Cap
    1* MTL Drip Tip
    1* MTL Airflow Cap
    1* Accessory Bag
    1* RDL Airflow Cap
    1* Instruction Manual
    2* Fused Clapton Coil

The key points here are the atomizer width (24mm), the tank capacity (4.5 mL), and that the Standard and US packaging are likely the same. TPD regulated countries will likely have a silicone or plastic insert to reduce the tank size down to 2 mL.

• Testing & Observations •

Intro:
    1685399924663.png

So, as I mentioned in the intro to the review, there are a lot of components that come with this kit. Aside from the preassembled tank with a 5 mm diameter chimney, removeable 810 drip tip, and top cap, there are two additional tanks with 3 and 4 mm diameter chimneys and an MTL top cap with a removeable 510 drip tip. You also receive two 2.5mm ID clapton coils and a bag 'o goodies full of O-rings, grub screws, a coil installation tool, and a flathead screw driver. Everything is packaged nice and tightly, so you shouldn't have to worry about anything busting during shipment.
    1685400801021.png

The Tanks:
    1685400930946.png

In the top center picture above, you can see the different bore diameters of the chimneys. The one on the left (preassembled) is 5mm in diameter. The middle 4mm, and the right tank having a chimney being 3mm in diameter. For anyone that's tried to MTL a DL atomizer by simply choking off the airflow knows it really doesn't work. You need the air restriction so that the airflow pulls vape from the coils correctly, and a big airy deck isn't going to do that very well. Aside from the different chimney diameters, each tank is the exact same parameter making them all interchangeable with one another.

In the bottom row of pictures, I have disassembled the tank in a step-by-step fashion so that you can see how easily this tank comes apart. Once you're down to the airflow ring, that's the last piece to come off before the tank is stripped bare like you see in the top left picture. Simply choose whichever airflow you think you might like, and reassemble the tank. If you're a DL vaper, definitely choose the 5mm chimney. If you're an open RDL vaper or very loose MTL vaper, consider the 4mm chimney, and if you're straight MTL, go with the 3mm chimney. There's quite a lot of airflow play between the chimney sizes. With the MTL top cap, 3mm chimney, and the airflow wide open, I land somewhere between a tighter RDL and very loose MTL draw. Closing the airflow all the way is where you'll achieve a tighter MTL. Even with a single slot open at one of the ends of the airflow ring, I'm still getting a slightly loose to proper MTL.

The airflow does not have a stopper and can be difficult to see how open or closed you have it. The only way to tell is by using the 3 engraved hash marks on the base/bottom cap when properly tightened into the tank. Line the 5 vertical airflow slots in the airflow ring above these 3 vertical hash marks and then slide it left or right to reduce the airflow as needed. If the entire atomizer is tightened down properly, the 3 hash marks in the top cap should line up with the 3 hash marks in the base/bottom cap.

The base/bottom cap is not reverse threaded, so be aware when you're screwing in or taking off the atomizer, that the base cap can unscrew itself. In this case, that's okay because there are two O-rings sealing the base cap, so it will only spill juice if you yank up and pull the base cap off while removing the atomizer.

The Coil Installation Tool:

1685402225899.png

When you looked at the bag 'o goodies, I'm sure you were wondering what the black ring inside of the baggy was. I know I was. The coil installation tool is form-fit to lock inside the outer ring of the base cap (Electrode Table as mentioned in the exploded view of the tank, above) that you would normally screw into the tank, giving you an easier way to install the coil instead of by freehand.

In this case, I chose to space the coil windings out to cover more area, but I'm not sure how positive or negatively this has affected the taste since I've stuck with the same coil to get a fair comparison between the different tank chimneys and top caps.

Wicking:

1685403366845.png

After dryburning the coil, I tightly squeezed 3mm of rayon through it knowing that when the rayon becomes saturated, it will shrink. So far I've had zero issues with wicking, although I'm not much of a chain vaper. 2 and 3 puffs here and there.

In the first wicking which you see above, I ended up thinning the wick ends a bit too much which resulted in juice leakage out the airflow, especially after filling the tank and putting the top cap on. With the second wick job was a bit too thick on the wick ends and I ran into trouble with the wick not feeding enough juice to the coil which always ends up with burning. The third wick job was just right and and I've since replicated that wick job a 4th time.

The only real issues I've seen thus far as far as wicking is concerned, is that when filling the tank and tightening down the top cap, the vape tends to want to be slurpy, meaning it's pushed some of the tank juice through the juice ports, oversaturating the wicks. Usually the first few puffs will clear this out, but I've not figured out how to get around this. Possibly filling the tank half way might help, but the tank only holds 4.5 mL to begin with. Who do I look like, the UK!? (kidding, kidding) :wub:

1685409389907.png

In conclusion, how does it vape?

I'll go right out and say it, this isn't the best flavor blaster I've ever wicked and vaped, but it's also not the worst. This could also have a lot to do with the position I have the coil in relation to the airflow. Maybe I didn't hit the sweet spot? I used the coil installation tool, so that may have put the coil a tad bit too low or high. One note I will make is that using the Requiem RTA in MTL configuration puts out one hell of a bang in terms of a throat hit. I'm vaping 3mg/mL freebase and it feels like I'm vaping 6 or 9 mg/mL. If you like a good throat hit, take this atomizer into consideration.

Admittedly, the Requiem RTA does a pretty great job of making adjustments for airflow restriction, I'm just not sure they executed the airflow correctly in relation to where the coil installation tool puts the coil. I also don't claim to be the world's best wicker, so it's more than likely me. If you've had great success with this RTA, please let me know!

Lastly, the DL configuration with the largest chimney bore and 810 top cap isn't exactly a wide open DL. DL, sure, but if you like a really airy vape the Requiem RTA probably isn't the one for you. If you enjoy anything from a loose RDL to MTL, this may hit the spot for you if you get the wicking down. I however, could not. I'm still getting in my small nic fix, so I'm not complaining. I've had fun testing out this RTA.

++ Pros ++
    > Very creative design
    > Fun to play around with
    > Large range in airflows
    > 2 premade coils
    > 3 different chimney bores (3mm, 4mm, and 5mm)
    > 2 different top caps (810 and 510)
    > Tank assembles and disassembles very easily
    > Juice level is very easy to see
    > Removeable drip tips

- - Cons - -
    > Juice leaked out the airflow everytime I refilled the tank
    > Airflow ring can be difficult to tell how open or closed it is

+ - Considerations - +
    > I'm not the world's best wicker
    > 5 out of 10 rating in flavor (see consideration above)
    > No wicks come with the kit
    > No parts of the atomizer are reverse threaded, so be careful screwing/unscrewing the atomizer
    > Bottom/side airflow
    > Tank sections and drip tips are made out of PSU

Rating:
    7-7.5

I gave this RTA a slightly higher rating because of its innovative design, and also because I'm doubtful that I optimized the flavor potential. I'm sure I haven't, but this is what my experience dictates the score should be, so I'm going to go with it. If you have a better experience with the flavor output in this RTA or know a secret, please feel free to share.

If this RTA is something you think you might want to play around with, you can find it on Sourcemore here. There's a May sale currently, so use "may10" or "may5" if you're a bronze member for a 10% or 5% discount. Again, I want to thank Joyi over at Sourcemore for providing the Requiem RTA for review. Thanks for reading.

Cheers and happy vape hoarding!
    :rickroll:

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Great review! Is that an o ring inside the tank in the last picture with the tank on the blue geekvape mod?
    Y'know, I'm like 99% sure that's a bubble, because I had disassembled it a few times changing the tanks around and I can't imagine that O-ring would have just magically popped back into place, lol.

It for sure looks like an O-ring, though, not gonna lie. I didn't see that, good catch!

Last edited:
    Reactions: hittman

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Enjoyable read as usual.

El Mono Vapeador here in Spain is kinda a big deal,he has a huge following in South and Central America.
    Personally even thou i enjoy his video reviews i am not that fond of his products,the RDA i reviewed a while back i really didn't like that much.
    That's pretty cool that you know of him locally. It's very difficult to tell when you're never sure if you nailed the wicking. I feel like I got it close, but overall it just wasn't as intense as I was hoping. I will give him credit for the innovation of the kit as a whole, though.

I have the Requiem RDA and I never built on it, lol. Maybe on a rainy day.

Thanks for reading and the feedback, as always Jav.

Users who are viewing this thread