Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I have a V5 with no thread problems, Only thing I've noticed is mine seems to overcook the juice more than my other mod's
even at the same wattage. If you scour this forum you'll see Many Many different problems with the Vamo. I think its a pretty good
deal. Price isnt that bad at all, Theres alot of better mods available, Like everthing else, there are plenty of folks Loyal To Vamo!!!

Dave

The V5 can fire in either of two modes - mean (average) or RMS. RMS is the better choice.

This from one site (as I couldn't find it in the manual.... what's new?)

RMS vs AVG: Press and hold down the top left or " -" button for at least 10sec, the OLED screen will display its current state either Mean or RMS Output. Press and hold it again to toggle it to the other state. It is highly recommended to set it to and leave it set to RMS Output.

1buda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a Vamo V3, V5, & a Provari. The V3 I've had for years with no thread problems at all. I think if your careful putting and taking off your atty you shouldn't have threading issues. When I bought the V3 from my local B&M, it came with a cone that you screw in the top so like my protanks sit flush. The V5 didn't come with one. Anybody know where I can purchase one for the V5? I have other cones but thy don't fit right.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
The V5 can fire in either of two modes - mean (average) or RMS. RMS is the better choice.

This from one site (as I couldn't find it in the manual.... what's new?)

RMS vs AVG: Press and hold down the top left or " -" button for at least 10sec, the OLED screen will display its current state either Mean or RMS Output. Press and hold it again to toggle it to the other state. It is highly recommended to set it to and leave it set to RMS Output.

That info is slightly misleading. When you press and hold the " - " (Left "Minus") button it does not Display what it is currently set to. It actually changes that setting from one to the other. So IF after you push and hold that minus button and it displays MEAN it WAS Set to RMS and now has been changed to MEAN. Let go of that button and once the screen clears Press and Hold again until RMS is displayed on the screen.

It is then set to RMS.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
Alas, the vagaries of translation :)

Yes, the clue was in the "toggle" bit. But RMS is where you want to be.

Yeah.

I have also heard that on some earlier firmware versions, not sure if that includes the V5 of the Vamo, every time you change the battery it gets set back to MEAN. Like the system is Rebooting to factory defaults with a battery change. Later firmware versions retain all the settings. So just on the odd chance one or both of my Vamo's have a early firmware I do the check and reset every time I switch out batteries. Only takes a few second to make sure it is set to RMS.

Rdarkness

Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
Waterville, Maine, United States
I have the V5 and noticed that the threads have weakened a bit, but like other people have said, I just am careful with putting tanks on and off. My primary VV/VW right now is the VTR, but I still make sure I have my V5 handy while I'm at work (vape shop) for testing coils and using ego threaded tanks. My only real gripes are the size in 650 mode and an issue that seems unique to the stainless model where after a few toots, the spring gets very hot. We had about 20 stainless ones on hand and all had the same issue and found that the spring in the stainless was not the same as the black chrome, which doesn't appear to have the hot spring issue.

In the end, while I love my VTR and mechs, I would definitely purchase another V5. I would just get a new spring from Home Depot if it was a stainless one.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Last week I had trouble with the base getting hot, but discovered that the spring was in the wrong position, and was not conducting adequately.

an issue that seems unique to the stainless model where after a few toots, the spring gets very hot. We had about 20 stainless ones on hand and all had the same issue and found that the spring in the stainless was not the same as the black chrome, which doesn't appear to have the hot spring issue.
Yeah, moving the spring around to make better contact seemed to work. Hoping that will continue working.

Almost a geothermal artesian thing, LOL!!

Last edited:

kczar

May 6, 2014
United States
Glad I read this thread. Have had my V5 for 3 days. I like it, however, mine tends to switch back to mean after battery change. I originally changed it to RMS and then I noticed the unit getting hot and my liquid was burning hot. I made a couple new coils, same problem until I decided to check that mean/rms feature. It was in mean mode again. Changed it back to RMS and I am quite happy. Unit stays cooler and so does my juice. Also, any comments about the wobbly fit RDA's have on the V5 would be appreciated. My Igo L and Nimbus clone fit firmly but don't feel quite stable.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
Glad I read this thread. Have had my V5 for 3 days. I like it, however, mine tends to switch back to mean after battery change. I originally changed it to RMS and then I noticed the unit getting hot and my liquid was burning hot. I made a couple new coils, same problem until I decided to check that mean/rms feature. It was in mean mode again. Changed it back to RMS and I am quite happy. Unit stays cooler and so does my juice. Also, any comments about the wobbly fit RDA's have on the V5 would be appreciated. My Igo L and Nimbus clone fit firmly but don't feel quite stable.

When you CHECK IT and It INITIALLY States "MEAN" "IT WAS" in RMS Mode. With the Vamo there is NO CHECKING of anything and Then Changing that. It is just like the voltage or wattage settings. Once you hit the button to raise or lower that setting it take you up or down one notch. Same for the RMS and MEAN setting. If you go to check it and it "IS" in RMS mode it will then read MEAN, IE switch you to MEAN mode.

If you go to check it and it states RMS it was initially in MEAN mode. Every time you access that setting it switches it to the other mode.

porkchop_express

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2014
tx
I'm not having problems yet I didn't even get it yet but I was just getting worried after seeing so many complaints about the threading lol I think I will definatley pull the trigger on a provari my girlfriend will prob kill me tho haha

I've had a Vamo5 for a few months and while it is a competent mod, there are two things in particular I don't like about it. First is how big it is. Second is that the top portion (with the electronics and buttons) is slightly wobbly, and will sometimes lose connection to the battery.

One thing I've never had problems with are the threads, and I screw/unscrew toppers on it all the time. You just have to understand that the 510 threads are chrome plated brass, while most toppers are steel. This means that if you crossthread them while screwing it on, the steel wins and your vamo threads lose.

For a $30 mod that regulates to 15W and reads your atty resistance, I think it's a decent pickup.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
the 510 threads on the Vamo are brass and chromed.... they will open up on you over time leaving the topper a bit wobbly

I got the SVD by Itaste.... the body is all SS even the 510 threads too.... it can handle ohms down to .8 ( absolute minimum) and can pump out 15W and 5 amps has VV/VW and a pretty nice sized screen...

very happy with mine....

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
I had the V2 and the V3 ...even though I was careful the threads did strip...plus on mine the tanks always had a whobble problem. Now a MVP 2 they sit solid. I first recommend a Provari but anything by ITaste is nice quaility also. I just like being able to send in my Provari when something goes wrong.

I had the V2 and the V3 ...even though I was careful the threads did strip...plus on mine the tanks always had a whobble problem. Now a MVP 2 they sit solid. I first recommend a Provari but anything by ITaste is nice quaility also. I just like being able to send in my Provari when something goes wrong.

I got the Itaste vtr and I love it! The vamo is a good mod. I gave it to a buddy of mine. Tanks don't seem to screw on very well anymore for now they do lock in at the last minute but it doesn't seem promising but my buddy still really likes it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread