Using gift or prepaid cards for online e-cig purchases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Buford, Ga
After one fraud attempt and a canceled CC to go with it (for once, thanks BOA!), I've decided to pursue other forms of payment that are not linked to my checking account. At this time, I also do not want to sign up for an additional account or CC with my bank (or any other). Below are my options as I see them, starting with the most reasonable option (again, as I see it).

As a BOA customer, I have an option for using Shopsafe. It sounds like a good idea, however, I've read that the CC account still gets closed down if fraudulent activity is detected on the generated Shopsafe number. I've looked through the BOA site but can't confirm this. Can anyone here shed some light before I blow an hour on hold with customer service? :glare:

Prepaid / non-reloadable gift cards look like a good option, except for the 6%-10% upfront fees, and the apparent problem of vendor rejection due to not having an address that matches the card.

Reloadable cards: Reloading fees, monthly fees, and yet another place I'd need to submit my SSN. If my SSN is required, it's not going to happen. Period.

Paypal: Yeah. I' be happy to use it if I could, but we all know that story as far as most vendors are concerned.

So... If anyone can make sense of this half-question / half-rant, what are my best choices? I've overloaded myself with information and cannot seem to make a clear, informed decision. :facepalm:
HELP!!!

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Buford, Ga
i just buy $100 prepaid cards every month (its an extra $3 up front) for juice and buy hardware from places that accept paypal

What cards are you using, and where do you get them? Are these one-time gift cards or reloadable debit cards? If they're one-time cards, are they always accepted at online stores, or do you have rejection issues (with the card :D).

Thanks for your input!

kuritaro9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Misawa Japan
i have tried those "online shopping specific" visa prepaid cards (vanilla visa) before, but how are you guys getting around the shipping address thing with them? i always had a problem because there was no registered shipping/billing address associated with the cards, so basically they were useless to me for shopping online. havent tried them in a year or so. have they changed the way they work now?

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Haven't had any issues using a check card or credit card for vape supplies. I don't buy from shady vendors, who skimp on security and credit card processing, though.
I have received gift cards as gifts and was never able to use them online, as there is no billing address associated with the card. If a vendor does accept them, that would be a good indication to me they are lax on security, and will process any card- whether tied to an address, or not. I basically just end up using gift cards at Target, because of the type of CC processing they have at stores. They don't work at Target online, though, or Amazon.

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
i have tried those "online shopping specific" visa prepaid cards (vanilla visa) before, but how are you guys getting around the shipping address thing with them? i always had a problem because there was no registered shipping/billing address associated with the cards, so basically they were useless to me for shopping online. havent tried them in a year or so. have they changed the way they work now?

Well, you go to the website listed in the instructions and register the card with your zip code.

That's it, you're done. Go shop online.

kuritaro9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Misawa Japan
Well, you go to the website listed in the instructions and register the card with your zip code.

That's it, you're done. Go shop online.

i did that with the vanilla visa site, but never had one that actually worked for an online purchase. maybe they have changed the process a bit since i last used them. ill snag one today and see if its something i could use.

candimccann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
Lenexa, KS, US
www.youtube.com
Our out of state family always sends us/the kids prepaid walmart visa cards at christmas and birthdays. You go to the website printed on the card and register it with an address. Once that is done, we've not had any trouble using them online.

I'm thinking of going the same route for vape spending, but admit that the fee is what's holding me back. But I am getting increasingly leary about cc/debit card use since I do so much shopping online now. (I've always shopped online, but maybe one transaction a month...since vaping it is more like 6 transactions a month).

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I use BoA's ShopSafe for my online and phone orders.

I've had one instance where someone attempted to use the ShopSafe number. BoA called me and I asked her if I could just close the ShopSafe number without affecting my regular CC account. She said she could do that, so I closed the ShopSafe number and my regular CC number stayed intact.

I will never shop online or by phone without using ShopSafe.

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
I had a separate account set up through my bank that is not linked to my other two accounts. I just transfer the amount I am getting ready to spend and it is ready immediately. I went through searching for alternate ways as well about a month ago when my account was wiped clean of $1497.00. After that there was no way I was going through that again.
But if you don't want to set up a separate account with your bank you could always get a Paypal card linked to your Paypal account. I was going to do this but I often times buy spur of the moment and to out cash in your account sometimes takes a couple of days.
So another account through my bank was the ticket for me. The account shows up on my online banking like my other accounts but with no overdraft Set up. I tried it one day just to make sure as I had $5.00 in there. Tried to check out at a store for about $15.00 and it was declined. So I felt pretty good after that. I also took my primary bank account off of Paypal and linked it to this "shopping" account in the event I want to buy something from someone on here, that way my primary account is not linked at all when shopping on line, Paypal or not

murphyramone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
Rockford, Il
I use a pre-paid walmart mastercard. Its $3 to add money to it and $3 a month. The $3 dollars is worth it to me to not have to worry about any fraud with it. I only buy things 2x a month and just put that amount on the card and go home and pay. I used the giftcard visa/mastercards one time but it took 24hrs for the money to be available on it, i didnt like that.

J.R. Bob Dobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
near buffalo, NY
i use the 3 $ green dot cards from wal mart. I load them, make my purchase and cancel it 24 hours later. This prevents the 3$ monthly fee if you do not load 1000$(this card has an additional fee if you do not add 1000$ in a month).

normally i get a check back for a few bucks in a couple days.

BennyBlanco

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
Jersey City
What cards are you using, and where do you get them? Are these one-time gift cards or reloadable debit cards? If they're one-time cards, are they always accepted at online stores, or do you have rejection issues (with the card :D).

Thanks for your input!

they're visas and non reloadable afaik, i get them at shoprite

never had a problem using them at ave juice or good life vapors which are the only places i use regularly (when they're open :glare:)

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
..........I don't buy from shady vendors, who skimp on security and credit card processing, though. ............

just an fyi for those who don't know, but ecig vendors have a hard time getting CC processors..... and several prominent vendors have been "hacked", it's not just "shady" or "cheap" vendors..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread