Using a humectant and we feel dry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pegaso

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
Spain
Sorry if this matter has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it (in that case, just give me the link and close this thread ;) ).

The fact is that we all feel "dry throat and mouth" when we vape a lot. But... VG and PG are supposed to be "humectants" (I don't know if that's the right word in English... maybe "wetters"?), I mean, they are used to keep humidity in food, cigars... why do we feel "dry" then? :confused:

Maybe the "dry feeling" is in fact a feeling of "excess of humidity" and we misunderstand it? (same as when we are too much time in a swimming pool and our skin wrinkles?)

I was just wondering myself, so I leave this question here... maybe the "experts" can give an answer... :)

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
From reading around this subject a fair bit, my understanding is this:

As humectants, both pg (and I think vg) have to draw moisture from somewhere where there is a source. For instance, the way a humectant in say an external body moisturiser works is to normally draw moisture from the surrounding air which in turn keeps your face/body moisturised.

However, as the vapour we inhale settles largely in the oral cavity and throat, the obvious source of moisture is saliva/spit which naturally occurs in our mouths. So the effect of the humectant is simply to trap all of the moisture in the mouth leaving a dry feeling. The throat obviously suffers more, because its further from the source of moisture which are the saliva ducts.

By this token, a few good swigs of water after you vape helps no end as it will provide much needed relief to the dryness and wash the humectant down. :thumb:

Pegaso

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
Spain
Sorry smokindeuce, but I don't understand it...:oops:

As far as I know (I may be wrong), PG is used in special boxes to keep cigars with the right level of humidity, but PG is not touching the cigars. As the box is closed (sealed), according to your explanation it would draw moisture from air inside the box... and form the cigars themselves... it makes no sense to me :confused:

I'm sure I'm wrong in my argument... but where? :?:

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
I'm not that familiar with cigar humidors, but could add the following explanation which may help.

The pg in a humidor will probably draw in moisture from the air outside - plus a humidor I believe should be seasoned with distilled water as well so the pg will draw this too, whereby creating a retainer for the moisture which will thus regulate the moisture levels around the cigars.

If you think of the distilled water in the humidor like the saliva in our mouths, ie. being drawn to the pg, this might help explain the dryness.
I just found this on the web that might help:

'Propylene Glycol is a liquid substance that regulates humidity perfectly at 70%. You can find PG at most pharmacies and drug stores. A lot of cigar smokers use PG in their humidors and pre-mixed humidification solution also contains PG so it’s safe to add to your humidor. Simply add a one-time dosage of 50% PG and 50% water to your humidification device and you’re ready to go. One dosage of PG can last years so you only need to add it just once. After that, whenever your humidification device is getting dry, simply add distilled water.'

So if you consider the comment in italics: for a start, our mouths will be probably nearer to 100% humidity due to excess saliva etc... this means that when vaping (bearing in mind pg regulates to 70%) the pg in the vapour will be trying to cut the moisture level in our mouths by 30% hence leaving a dry feeling.

Hope this helps - just from gathering some info on the web so might not be all technically correct... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread