USB passthrough help

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Dripping can really kill a passthrough. A few people have tried to revive the auto switch in the device with mixed results. You could try tapping it on a hard surface or doing light puffs and draws on the device to unstick the switch. If these things fail, you could try (not highly recommended) to dip the threaded end into some hot water (not more than 1/2") for a few seconds, shake and let dry thoroughly. The water might help loosen the switch.

If you are the least bit DIY-inclined, rip out the internals and convert it to a passthrough with a manual switch. That can be done in an hour or less.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
No tutorials on this forum that I am aware of. Essentially, you gut the passthrough, connect the wire from the center conductor of the threaded piece on the battery to a switch and extend that to the positive wire from the USB cable. The negative, usually black wire, goes from the threaded section of the battery connector directly to the black/negative wire of the USB cable. Here is a poor rendition of the schematic.

Attachments

• m_USB manual passthrough.jpg
    m_USB manual passthrough.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 45

iiimathman24iii

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2009
Louisville, KY
www.myspace.com
i read somewhere that someone heated a 901 battery with a lighter while rotating... and then SLOWLY pullet out the threaded end with a pair of pliers but if it is female then i dont know how this would work... but i would recommend searching the forums in the DIY section seen some great threads about dis assembly over there... gotta DIG BABY DIGGGGGG...:D

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
DFW, TX
moddersupply.com
You're probably not going to be able to use the same housing, if the passthru is the same size as a battery theres no way you'll be able to fit a switch in there. Just use a pair of pliers to crush the tube about a 1/2" below the connector, then crush it again the other way, grab the base (NOT THE THREADS) of the connector and pull it out, then strip off the autoswitch and circuit board and you're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread