USB adaptor for Passthroughs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0cmp

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Harlingen TX. USA
I'll bet this has been requested before, but I didn't see any sign of it in the last several pages.

Usb Passthroughs are designed to be plugged into your computer. Unfortunalely most if not all USB wall adaptors are designed for charging, and deliver a trickle of current unsuitable for operating a passthrough.

The reason a wall wart type USB power adaptor is necessary, is because not everyone has a computer (but maybe 99% of us do) or more importantly have a computer but not where we want to plug in and vape!

Another concern is: Do you really want to trust your usb bridge to your latest passthrough? ive heard of them sticking on, shorting out, etc etc, and I've already blown the USB bridge out of one mother board while using a device designed to be operate by USB power solely (an outboard storage drive).

When i'm sittin in my recliner, I should be able to plug in my passthrough and go to town..unfortunately while a plug in is availabe, my computer is not, as it's all the way across the room. My usb power is already frightfully weak..barely equalling a battery in output, usually not...and a USB extension cord just makes things worse, powerwise.

I'd like to see the chinese manufacturers whip up a plug in the wall 5v USB adaptor for my passthrough so i can plug and vape anywhere i have a couple prongs to plug into...and for that matter, a Vehicle type adaptor for passthrough kinda makes *duh!* sense too come to think of it...again the 12v auto usb adaptors are almost exclusively designed for charging..ive not tried the couple i have around here, but i'd bet on it from some of the user comments ive heard.

Thank you for your consideration.

bernel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2009
I bought this one on Ebay:

DUAL HOME WALL+CAR CHARGER+USB Cable FOR IPOD Touch 2nd - eBay (item 400068814213 end time Sep-20-09 03:45:30 PDT)

DAPPIPODTC16_3_es_L.jpg

Wall Charger with 2 USB ports (one for my passthrough, one to charge my PCC) Looks cheap, but it's working great.

USB Car charger: I never use this one, but it's included.

Last edited:

framitz

Moved On
May 24, 2009
RSM, CA

Sherrick

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2010
Blackwater, Kentucky USA
Or, you can pick up a USB 2.0 powered hub that comes with it's own wall adapter. It'll give you multiple slots for USB connections of various types so you can plug in your passthrough, a PCC, a USB charger, etc. and use them all concurrently. And, because it has its own power adapter, you don't have to plug it into your computer, and you avoid potential issues with over / under powering. Most of the USB hubs on the market today are about the size of a pack of cigarettes, so you can move it where you need it. Also, down the road, you can attach it to your computer for other purposes and thus multiply the number of available USB ports that you have. Just make sure it is at least USB 2.0 compliant, as USB 1.0 or 1.1 compliant hubs may not provide adequate power to the ports for your purposes. (USB 3 is just hitting the market and there are not a great many devices available yet that support this new standard.)

Sherrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread