Status
Not open for further replies.

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
I was wondering if the tobacco bill passes whether it would be enforcable on tribal land and I ran across this:

Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Oklahoma), a member of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, has proposed an amendment that allows the FDA to enter into contracts with states to enforce the law. The provision runs counter to the version of the bill that passed the House, which preserved tribal sovereignty.

The House bill, as passed, reads:
The Secretary shall not enter into any contract under clause (i) with the government of any of the several States to exercise enforcement authority under this Act on Indian country without the express written consent of the Indian tribe involved.

I don't understand how the first paragraph runs counter to the second in the way of tribal sovereignty, - unless reservations are considered states - but would either of these mean that a supplier could contract with a Native American tribe to sell their product and it would be legal? Is that even legal? lol...

Can somebody clarify this for me?

Here's the link to the website if anyone wants to read more:

Indianz.Com > News > Coburn proposes anti-tribal provision in tobacco bill

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
I believe you may have struck gold here...................most reservations in the west right now have big smoke shops that are tax free. Reservation owned and controlled.

Thanks, Happily...

I've been digging for gold, and I hope maybe this is a new idea.

I have been spending a lot of time - too much time lol - trying to find a way around all of this insanity. If this one won't work, I'll dig some more, but I am positive that there is a loophole somewhere that will make everything work out. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread