• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Traumatized for life - non e-cig issue, thankfully..

Status
Not open for further replies.

comfortably numb

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Northern IL
Breyers has an all natural vanilla, I think Hagen Daaz does also....

It won't necessarily stop the seizures, if he has another you may need to put him on meds. In my case, with my other dog so ill, I just had to feel like I was doing something to prevent it from happening again.

As for your father in laws comment:

Just a dog

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a human."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile, because they "just don't understand."

Author: Unknown or if anyone knows please let me know

Kimerpuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2009
CO, USA
www.OneStopDIYShop.com
Rumor gets icecream after every dog show.. often times its from DQ or Culvers. I just ask for vanilla in a sundae bowl, the smallest size. She LOVES it!! I started it to make dog shows fun, hoping she would put show = icecream.

She also eats ice cubes, when its hot lol when my son gets out a freezie, I swear shes staring at him thinking "ok wheres mine?" With her double coat ice cubes are great! cools her right off. After her first sheep herding workshop I took a bowl half filled it with ice and then covered it with water.. she loved that too!

Of course when its 20 degree's outside I cant get her to come in lol

Vets can be a pita! our last vet was meh, nothing special and didnt listen to me.
Our new vet is awesome! Sox the cat started throwing up, after a couple days and no stopping I tried a new vet as we had moved. He got an x-ray, exam, fluids put under his skin to rehydrate , shot to stop him from throwing up, and something else I forget for $90.00! Then they called me every day for a week to see how he was! I was shocked.

When you find a good vet, keep em as long as you can! I agree SudokuGal Hmmpf! hehe

His fathers comment really...reallllly upset me. I have kept my comments to myself, but I vented all night to a friend. My husband is nothing like his father..nothing, probably because he was raised by his grandmother. I learned a long time ago I need to keep my comments about my partners family to myself. I wouldn't want to hear negativity about my family, even if it may be true, so I do that in return. Bill is still upset with his father as well... to say something so callous, so.. inconsiderate is unforgiveable, to me. No matter how poorly I get treated or how bad of a day I may have, I can always count on my animals to be there.. unconditionally. I have a bookmarker that was given to me by my husbands grandmother before she passed away and it says: The only other living thing that loves you more than they love themselves, is your dog. My dogs know more about me than I do myself. When a migraine starts, they know before I do... They start licking my forehead, snuggle with me and they don't bark at any noise. It is very odd, actually.. but they know how I'm feeling and they KNOW how to get me out of a bad mood. They'll start playing and acting silly until I start laughing, then they come to me..tails wagging..and give me the best kisses ever! Honestly, I shouldn't have expected anything more from him... this is a man who claims to have loved his beautiful Hannah (rottweiller), but when she was hit by a car and killed, he just LEFT HER IN THE DITCH! The mere thought of losing one of my animals will bring me to tears. I have ALWAYS said, you can tell how a person is, by how they treat animals. That has never failed me.

After more research, I remembered that the groomers gave Atlas a pill called Comfortis in June. I had asked for him to be dipped since we had a horrible flea problem at the time, but I did not authorize or want him to take meds (nor did I know that this pill was available.) When I picked him up, and I looked at the receipt, I noticed the comfortis charge and asked what that was. They explained to me what it is, but I was very upset. I didn't know they were going to give him a pill.. nor would I have wanted that. My dogs being at the groomers gave me enough time to clean my house, their bedding and vacuuum everything and anything. Then I spray frontline (liquid) on their bedding, carpet, under the bed etc. I use frontline topical and that's all they need. So, when I came home after that visit, I googled comfortis. It is known to give seizures in dogs!!!!! Here is a post from someone who gave comfortis to their dog:

"I had been using Advantix with a Capstar tablet once a week on my Penny,a Rhodesian Ridgeback for awhile. We live in Ocala, Florida in a rural area (on almost 4 acres) with lots of fleas and ticks and lots of feral cats and other critters. On a monthly basis I would have the groomer bathe/dip her and I would fog the house---I tried very hard to keep our home and surrounding area pest free. On June 2, 2008, my vet recommended Comfortis, since it seemed that the Advantix was not as effective anymore. The fleas were gone immediately and she was no longer scratching. On July 3rd, she had a seizure --- the first ever and within an hour she died. I do not know if Comfortis had anything to do with this, but after reading the different comments regarding Comfortis, I am beginning to wonder. Penny was an indoor dog, she was approx. 120 lbs and was approx. 11 years old. Ironically, On July 2, I purchased another Comfortis pill, but never gave it to her. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated."

Lat night, I actually found a FDA warning issued about comfortis given to dogs whose heartworm medication has ivermectin. I looked at his heartworm medication box (Iverhart MAX) and it does contain ivermectin. Now my worry has turned into pure anger. The groomers is associated with my vet. It's all the same place. The vet clinic is up front, and the groomers are behind the building. Now, when I google comfortis with side effects/cons/seizures all kinds of information is coming at me with how up to three months after the dose was given, their dogs had seizures, respitory problems etc. All of the dogs were in perfect health prior to the dose of comfortis, and now have medical issues that can only be related to this pill.

Has anyone used this on their animals with any success?

Link where I found the inital comments of problems:
http://www.dolittler.com/2008/03/29...inary.veterinarian.Ihrke.Comfortis.Lilly.html

The FDA warning against side effects:
http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/jul08/080715b.asp

Last edited:

comfortably numb

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Northern IL
Many of the flea and tick meds are very dangerous... my brothers dog began having seizures after a treatment with Hartz spray about 15 years ago.

I have lost two dogs to AIHA (Auto Immune Hemolytic anemia)...many dogs get this disease from vaccinations, heartworm meds, and flea and tick meds, it can also be brought on by infections. They all cause the immune system to go into overdrive. It is a horrific disease I do not wish on anyone, furry or human.
I believe a drug called Proheart 6 caused many cases of AIHA in dogs, and was taken off the market for a time because of that.

Needless to say I am very careful about what goes into my dogs now. They do get their monthly heartworm pills, only because the skeetos are so darn bad here (I do every 45 days in the winter months). They only get vaccinated for Rabies, and my old girl will not get that anymore either. My Sibe, Lab and Golden all reacted to their vaccines last year. The sibe began having seizures, the lab just got intestinal issues for a month, and my golden died of AIHA. The pup will get her booster at one year, but each shot will be spaced 3 weeks apart... from then on she will only get rabies vaccines.

I wish I had a good natural answer for fleas... I saw a couple of stragglers this year, but we did not get infested. I have not had an infestation of fleas since I no longer have cats - they seemed to be the biggest culprit. I have heard of people having good luck with something called Bug off Garlic.

Good luck to you, I understand your anger and frustration.

PatriciafromCO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Colorado
Mischelle, that's the best you can do is keep yourself informed.. so you can make choices..
I almost lost all 6 of my dogs 10 years ago at the same time due to a bad vaccine **** tail.. It was an office visit discount if you took everyone in at one time... They all went unconcious within 6 hours.. Nothing anyone could do for them but wait.....

It was so very wrong of the groomers to medicate with out you giving your ok... I'd be livid too...

(too funny it wouldn't let me use a word for multuple vaccince mix) lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread