Status
Not open for further replies.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
As to the nicotine:
So it's not good IF the nicotine is extracted the wrong way. I have only read on the surface so far, will do more thourough reading, but it is clearly stated that Satire has not done any investigation on any liquid himself - so Satire, do you have any evidence or strong leads THAT it is being handled the wrong way by the liquid-makers? Or is this an if>then and if not>then not write-up?

And thank you very much for your efforts and time!

mouse

Nov 15, 2008
Hull, UK
I guess if there's a sudden trend towards 'new & improved' e-liquid we'll know suppliers have been using the chemicals listed/derived in dangerous ways. I don't see how they can fail to comment.

It would increase my confidence enormously if suppliers would just give us an honest list of ingredients though. It's kind of easy to see how big tobacco became so sly; something about history repeating itself first time as tragedy, second time as farce :mad:

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
Yes Frankie, I quite like a bit of nicotine gum I find I get a nice hit from the 4mg. It does give me mouth ulcers though. If you haven’t tried some you should you might like it.
Thanks for the info. Actually I was in a process of trying to get some when I learned about the possibility of using e-cigs. I think I will get some now. Just in case. To try and see if it can work, too, to keep me off analogs.

How's the head Satire, no doubt collating all that would have caused a bit of blurred vision and increased cranial pressure LOL

I think two items needs to be clarified here,
One being that a MSDS is simply produced by chemical manufacturers to conform to various Govt Regulations and usually spells doom and gloom, to satisfy our increasingly litigeous society...that is not to say the information isnt correct ,however it is slanted towards safety of use rather than the actual harm potential...The MSDS for water would probably indicate that inhalation could be fatal, application of a electrolytic current could cause it to become flammable, and prolonged skin contact may lead to a breakdown of the dermal ability to resist infection.
Two being , that without an actual spectrographic analysis of each suppliers ingredients, one cannot ascertain whether the nicotine is synthetic, a poor fractal distillation, or simply juices squeezed from tobacco leaf itself,one cannot further ascertain that any of the chemicals in your report are in fact present, or if they are , in what proportions... this does back up the need for disclosure by manufacturers of quantities and composition
It is important to note that inhalation has different outcomes often than ingestion.
I agree that all of the chemicals in our liquids have the POTENTIAL for harm , but as I sit here typing on my keyboard, my fingers are absorbing volatile organics given off by the plastics ........ like anything , it is the amount of exposure that is critical ...
I do not wish to disrespect your hard work or reporting in any way , all the information in it appears to be valid , but without knowing the actual concentrations/compositions in the liquids it is impossible to make any conclusions at all.
The very air we breathe today contains toxic elements and volatile organics that may have cancerous and mutagenic elements, That does not mean that stopping breathing is good for you LOL
I must point out , that the various flavourings etc AREN'T necessary, but if they are in the liquid , one must also consider if they are de-natured or broken into by-products by the vapourisation process...in that case , NONE of the MSDS's apply

I am not convinced e-smoking is safe ( nothing is ) ....... I am entirely convinced it is far better for me than the alternative of lighting tobacco.
I truly believe that if the future of vaping is to be guaranteed , it must be viewed from a harm reduction stance rather than a chemical safety one.
I for one have no problem with inhaling or ingesting food approved chemicals or compounds as from a harm minimisation standpoint the 2 or 3 used to flavour my liquid is far better than the 4000, odd present in ciggies, of which over 60 ARE PROVEN carcinogenics in cumulative circumstances.
The long term effects of vaping will not be known for any years, the same as the long term effects of simply breathing our modern atmosphere will not.

As a disclaimer, I am an overweight , drinking , smoking( well up until recently and I still have the occasional analogue), motorcyclist, who enjoys ultralight aircraft.... SOMETHINGS GONNA KILL ME !!!!!!

riddle80

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2008
Nashville, TN
What I don't understand is why we haven't found out about this until now. There have been several tests done on the liquid and I don't remember any of them naming most of these ingredients.

I'm still interested in seeing the lab work that was done to determine the ingredient breakdown and what types of liquids were tested.

It is probably worth posting here a toxicology report that actually tests the liquid
http://healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartridgeReport21-Oct-08.pdf

It is also worth noting that the liquid supplier for Ruyan also makes over 90% of the consumed liquids that come out of china.

I would not think they would alter the composition between ruyan and non-ruyan liquid??? I have no proof of this particular statement I just made, just an observation from years of being an industrial chemist lol Makes no commercial sense ????

Riddle, most of the nasties mentioned are the chemical constituents of the flavourings, it is important to note they should be all approved food grade, and ( based on Ruyan test results) constitute approximately 0.6% of the total liquid .... i.e per ml they equal 0.006 of a gram !!!
Each blend would typically be made up of 1-3 or 4 of the compounds mentioned, and not all of them

Last edited:

efaglil

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Basically Kate, Satire has painstakingly gone through the list of ingredients he was supplied with and collected all the information he's been able to find.

The main issue for me relates to nicotine extraction and how pure that nicotine is. According to Satire's report, if the method of extraction isn't done properly, the nicotine may contain some of the "nasties" which are contained in tobacco. Doesn't mean I'd take up real smoking again (the nasties are already in there, what's the point?). Just makes me think twice... and a little disheartened...

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Ok, thanks Lil, I'll read it soon.

We've had worries here about ingredients for ever, this is going to be an issue until we get long term and thorough testing of all liquids we inhale.

Bertrand posted a few weeks ago about the dangers of propylene glycol not being formulated properly and maybe containing toxic propylene oxide.

We really are at the mercy of the manufacturers, they have got to have a safe formula and uncontaminated supplies.

There is no quick, cheap, easy answer to our concerns. There has to be regulation, double checking, testing and long term study. Until then, in maybe twenty years or so, we won't know for sure that what we are doing is a healthier alternative to smoking.

It looks like we're in for an uncomfortable few years of worry.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
What am I? Your Researcher today??? LOL
I guess so Lil :)
so some or all of our liquid contains the following:

Acetaldehyde, Acetone, Acrolein, Acrylonitrile, Anthracene, Formaldehyde, Methyl phenanthrene, m-,o-, p- Cresols, Phenanthrene, Pyrene, Styrene, Xylenes, methylcyclopentan-1, 2-dione, malic acid, tetramethylpyrazine, 2,3,5-trimethylpyrazine, beta-damascenone, Acetylpyrazine, Ethanol.

Doesn't sound too savoury from the comments. but if these are in the liquid Dr. L tested, it does't seem he's bothered.

Trumpy, what is your source for 90% of the liquid consumed is from the same manufacturer of Ruyan's ?

smoking gnu

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2008
Wales
As I understand flavourings could be the main problem ie tobacco , and obviously they will be different in each flavour liquid, so any lab test should be carried out on each different flavour. Has any supplier tested their full range of liquids? I’d be pleasantly surprised if they have.
The actual pg or vg + nicotine seems to be ok .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread