Status
Not open for further replies.

ccubed

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
Denver, CO
Good Evening Everyone,

I'm getting so tired of seeing vaping and ecigarettes portrayed in the news with such a negative slant. Also tired of seeing things like Chicago's city council meeting on banning ecigarettes in some form or manner. I have never posted anything on the web, except here in ECF until today. It finally got to me when I was reading an article on Chicago's PBS station WTTV and finally posted my opinion and how I felt.

This is my post as a response to both the article and to someone's post on supporting the council's decision. I'm not looking for advice, just venting.

"Here is a recent study from Drexel University, School of Public Health. It finds almost no health risks from ecigarettes and second hand vapor
http://publichealth.drexel.edu...

"It bothers me that so many articles and hearings don't talk about this study, but come at ecigarettes in such a prejudicial negative manner. I believe in science and experience. So far the science shows little or no risk to ecigarette usage or second hand vapor.

This next link from a talk from a researcher in Great Britain. I know it is a long video, but I never see this research mentioned in news articles about ecigarettes, personal vaporizors and vaping.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...

I am a vaper. I use ecigarettes and have been tobacco and smoke free for 107 days. I did a lot of research prior to trying vaping as a replacement to smoking. It is agreed that there are no long term studies, yet. However, I am comfortable that the risk I am taking with vaping is substantially less than with smoking. During my 107 days I have also cut back on nicotine from 18mg to 12mg and hope to be nicotine free within one year.
There is a Canadian MD who has some great videos on youtube. He is NOT pro-tobacco or smoking in any way. However, he says that nicotine does not kill people....smoking does. Because of that, I choose to make the healthier choice to vape rather than smoke. I agree that it is not proven to be risk free, but it is much safer than smoking. Both for me, the people around me and the folks in my life who care about me and who I care about.
I wish there were more balanced discussion and reporting on this topic."

I know this is preaching to the experienced believers, but I appreciate having a place to come and get support.

Namaste

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
Personally I have no mercy for the vapers.
And I am one.
We the people have the power to change things like this, and we don't.
And we are known to have short term memory on things LIKE this
(banning, taxing and regulating things to death), and keep voting
the same people back in time and time again.
SOMEBODY likes being told what to do, being taken care of.
Again, WE have the power to change this. And we don't.

As a whole, we'd rather just b about it on the internet than
turn off the puters and actually do something to change this system
which is very very broken.

bulldog63h

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Elizabethton Tennessee
It's nothing more than an assertion of power. They (government) are in a position to make you do as they wish, and they are going to use that power. The more restricted our daily lives become, the closer the government gets to absolute control. Fear is the greatest of their tools and they use that to their advantage. Political rant over.

Schwiggiddy

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2014
Kentucky, USA
Personally I have no mercy for the vapers.
And I am one.
We the people have the power to change things like this, and we don't.
And we are known to have short term memory on things LIKE this
(banning, taxing and regulating things to death), and keep voting
the same people back in time and time again.
SOMEBODY likes being told what to do, being taken care of.
Again, WE have the power to change this. And we don't.

As a whole, we'd rather just b about it on the internet than
turn off the puters and actually do something to change this system
which is very very broken.

I appreciate what you're saying, I really do. I think the problem is everybody is comfortable with certain levels of social control. Some people want to ban public vaping, other people want the government to say who you can and can't marry or whether you are required to carry a baby to term or whether that decision is solely up to the host parent. There is enough social control out there regardless of which of the two dominant parties we vote for. Without turning this into a political discussion, I just wanted to express my agreement with half of your post, but firm disagreement with the other half. I also think you have too much faith in people to vote for their best interests, rather than what they perceive as their best interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread