Tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeapa

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2013
Delaware
Being new to DIY I have been researching the forum for tips on making juices. I have found some threads on adding vinegar, lemon, ethyl malto..ect... I thought it would be helpful with for the influx of new people looking to start making our own juices if the experienced veterans could share some of their secrets for making juices great and that way we could have it all here in one thread.

I would like to know if there are things that you add to certain types of flavored juices or all your juices and why? How long will the flavors that we buy last? How long will our mixed juices last? Thanks.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
I would like to know if there are things that you add to certain types of flavored juices or all your juices.

Lemon Juice to my fruit/light flavs. Apple Cider Vinegar to my dessert/savory flavs. One drop per 3ml for my recipes.

Makes flavs pop or buffers overwhelming characteristics.

How long will the flavors that we buy last?

I mix some that's a year old.

How long will our mixed juices last?

Sorry, can't really help ya there in that mine aren't 'round long enough for a shelf life evaluation!
BigGrin-1.gif

Last edited:

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
Ethyl Maltol is technically a sweetener; it doesn't sweeten per se but adds a thickness to the taste and helps blend flavors. I add it to everything, between 3-10 drops per 30ml: 3-4 drops for fruits, 5-8 for bakery/dessert, 8-10 for tobaccos. It doesn't take much, really. This is liquid EM which is diluted to 10% in PG. You can get pure EM crystals and dilute it yourself but that (I have found) is a PitA, and the diluted version isn't that expensive.

Acetyl Pyrazine is another 'base additive' that has a strong nutty essence to it. Also helps to add thickness and depth to flavors. I put this in everything except fruit, 3-4 drops in a 30ml. IMO it doesn't affect taste much at all in that quantity but will change the 'essence' of your vape.

Oak Wood and Hickory Smoke flavorings are super tricky, but great to have: I add one or the other to every tobacco and nutty juice I make. Oak is woody and very deep, hickory is strong and smokey. No more than 4 drops in a 30ml. The oak wood is a great alternative to tobacco absolute as a base for tobacco mixes; it gives the added depth without that grassy element that many people despise so much. Toasted almond and hickory, try it.

IMO juice will last about a year. I have a couple from last January: the flavor has deteriorated (2 are simply much weaker, 1 turned gross) but the nicotine is still fine. Not sure about raw flavorings.

With flavorings you can generally go by color - the darker it is, the more it is likely to gunk attys/cartos. With hickory that's fine bc you only need a few drops. Some flavorings, I believe, are best to just avoid. Cake Batter and Black Walnut, f.e., are suuuuper gunky, and require significant quantity to do anything, so to me they are useless.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Lemon Juice to my fruit/light flavs. Apple Cider Vinegar to my dessert/favory flavs. One drop per 3ml for my recipes.

Makes flavs pop or buffers overwhelming characteristics.

I mix some that's a year old.

Sorry, can't really help ya there in that mine aren't 'round long enough for a shelf life evaluation!
BigGrin-1.gif

does water make the flavors pop the same way vinegar does?

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Still haven't tried vinegar, but I am growing increasingly curious about it.

Hoosier's blog is great just read it for the first time. Let's see #4!

same here. totally agree- good stuff.

im liking these tips and tricks. please correct me if any of this is wrong.
but so far as far as the additives go, this is what ive gleaned:
Ethyl Maltol - blends/smooths flavors
Vinegar/Lemon Juice - blends, "thickens" vapor, flavors pop, balances pH
Water - flavor pop
Caramel Color - balance pH, antimicrobal

im still making my way through the lenghty "Vinegar?" thread, so please forgive me if im reiterating somehting that has already been brought up there.

the way im understanding it so far is the EM and Vinegar should basically be put in every juice in the amount of 1-4 drops per 5ml. im wondering if water shold be put in as well, or if vinegar takes the place of the attribute water would give.
also, is caramel color still needed if we are using EM?

and then theres these three additives:
Magic Mask
Vape Wizard
Bitter Wizard

i dont know anything about them. do they offer additional attributes, or are they a rehashing of what is offered by any of the first list of additives?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread