Thoughts from a neophyte...musings on beginners issue on taste/wick/etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnotherADDiction

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2010
St. Pete, Florida
Being someone who is new to the vaping scene, I had been lurking and researching for quite some time before I started to vape approximately 1.5 week ago.
i has (very briefly) tried a cigarette size pos years ago without success.
i started with a twist and a maxi twist with mini pro tanks. luckily there is someone I work with who speaks the lingo and has helped me greatly.
i just received an iTaste SVD with iClear 30 and a black ed. Kayfun.

some things that I have discovered/learned is that:
Always boil your new metal atomizers. - you may have seen my queries on why does my new kayfun taste like Satan's ..., and how can I fix it. A15-20 minute boil last night removed the posterior of pain, and I am going to do it again tonight since I must put in a better coil. My first attempt looks and acts like one.

No matter how many reviews/people love device x, and say it is the best thing since sliced bread, it may not be or act like that for you. In my case, the iClear30 is not behaving and is not tasting great. I will try it with a thinner juice, but I cannot get satisfactory results with the virus in it. I can't seem to get more than 1or 2 hits before I put it down to wait for the wick to get juicy.

i think that I, an admittedly lazy person, will pre boil organic cotton. Why, you ask? I noticed that tonight, on a mini protank head that I had just removed the silica wick and replaced it with cotton, which I had been sucking on all day, and loving it ( sorry with the run on sentences, I need to get in a real PC). Anyway, I replaced the cotton with a new piece so I can load a fresh tank with my newly receive Franilla. I immediately realized that the crappy taste was coming from the cotton - this does go away, but I would assume that boiling will help or remove it. This issue I also have in the kayfun, but admittedly, I have only just begun.

i also realize that I do not like silica, or possibly I need to preburn to remove taste.
My friend at work has given me some ekowool(sp?) today, so I may rebuild the kayfun with that instead of cotton.
i realize that the coils play a big role in taste, but...I am shocked that I, a smoker, can taste and more importantly am sensitive to the bad tast of new, uncleared cotton. I also possibly may never use silica again, more experimentation is required. I know that when I first took out the silica in the protank head and replaced it with cotton, it was a "wow, that is what this should taste like"

Also, my second NT juice came! More on this somewhere else. I can say that the delicate and vapegasmic flavors of Franilla do come through the new cottons wick and it is wonderful. I can't wait for the next tank when the bad taste is gone (or sooner).

Thanks, i have more meaningless babbling to regurgitate, but the iPad is not for me and I must do some other work too.

Fenris4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Welcome to the learning curve.. it gets easier, and it seems you have a great head to figure this all out...

I noticed that "crappier" silica does taste like the south end of a northbound mule, but I find I don't mind the "good" stuff (german silica), and Ekowool is pretty solid too.

For drippers/ stuff like my REO or a Kayfun, I hafta say that cotton is the way to go (at least for me). I still haven't been able to rebuild a protank/ EVOD head with cotton and have it perform as well as with a 3mm braided silica rebuild. Dunno why. Maybe I'm using not the right amount of the fuzzy stuff?

Either way, stay strong, and vape on!

AnotherADDiction

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2010
St. Pete, Florida
I will be playing tonight with some ekowool and cotton on the kayfun and a new chi-triot. The look and feel of the ekowool looks vastly superior to the 'oem' wicks. I guess the crappier silica (and every other item) has issues with taste/build/feel/etc. - you get what you pay for usually.
There isnt any need to preburn the ekowool wick, correct?

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
I will be playing tonight with some ekowool and cotton on the kayfun and a new chi-triot. The look and feel of the ekowool looks vastly superior to the 'oem' wicks. I guess the crappier silica (and every other item) has issues with taste/build/feel/etc. - you get what you pay for usually.
There isnt any need to preburn the ekowool wick, correct?

I'm not as well versed in Ekowool because I use cotton primarily - it just holds more juice, and seems to wick better. Works better in a microcoil, that's about all I roll.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
I've never had to pre-torch my Eko wool, personally. I do notice a slight odd flavor at first, but that can be said about almost any wicking material.

Tapped out on a phone... I think

For sub ohm builds (3-4 wraps) Eko wool is populat for sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread