the vivi nova

Status
Not open for further replies.

payne1226

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2012
minnesota
i wonder why the vivi nova is not ok to run on the sb? or is it if im using the kick is that not a type of regultor to stop a bat from shorting or going into a melt down? any answers would be wonderful thanks.

also i seem to not have a problem with the stone tank so whats the real difference between that and the vivi besides the actual setup on the inside of the tank

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i have four Novas that i run on my SB. I realise GrimmGreen has had a problem with his, but mine all still perform flawlessly and have never leaked. When the atomizer gives up the ghost i just rebuild it - but i test everything before i attach it to my SB with a multimeter and a separate portable dedicated Ohms meter, just to make really sure.

I find them to be reliable, great for work with a full metal case on them - i dropped it once and broke the tank tube, hence the full metal. They are easy to fill and unlike a lot of the dual coil tanks i have used - they don't flood. Am i worried it will short a battery..sure, but i worry about that with anything. My 18650 batteries cost me about $20 a piece so they are not cheap, but the Novas have proved to be great value for the $.

I heard from another youtuber (don't remember which...i watch so many) that grimmgreen was running a kick in his SB, and that's likely what caused the battery melt downs. Granted, I do NOT know how accurate that information is, but it is a possible explanation for the issues he specifically had.

With how prevalent the vivi novas are, I'd expect more than one report of issues with that specific, also very prevalent mod. No disrespect to grimmgreen, I sub his channel to and love his videos, just seems odd.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
oh - i quite agree - and i think he is one of the fairest minded of reviewers out there, but his is the only case of someone having issues like that with a Nova - twice.

I heard from another youtuber (don't remember which...i watch so many) that grimmgreen was running a kick in his SB, and that's likely what caused the battery melt downs. Granted, I do NOT know how accurate that information is, but it is a possible explanation for the issues he specifically had.

With how prevalent the vivi novas are, I'd expect more than one report of issues with that specific, also very prevalent mod. No disrespect to grimmgreen, I sub his channel to and love his videos, just seems odd.

payne1226

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2012
minnesota
well what i want to know is if it is safe to run a vivi on a kicked sb and if it is not what can be done to the sb to make it safer? a short stop or a vape safe. im not to sure how them things work but i dont want to drop a bunch of money on a new mod and i have a twist but like the big mod seeing as i work in a harsh environment and im worried steel dust will mess up my carto tanks. so is it a good idea or a horrable idea to use a vivi on a kicked sb?

DigiManTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
TX
i run 2 different vivi nova's on 2 different SB's... one kicked and the other not (but i use a vape safe fuse in that one)... narry an issue... :D

*edit*

also, on the nova's... i took a sharpening stone and took down the center pin a bit (both of mine seemed to stick out quite a bit) and i also notched out the grommet around the wicks to allow for better wicking... now the only time i have wicking issues is when the tank gets considerably low...

Last edited:

Gabe1291

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
www.myspace.com
The Vape Safe is essentially a mechanical single use fuse. You just put it between the battery and either the top post or the host spring. If you short out, it blows the fuse, and breaks the circuit. Pretty good for mods that don't have circuit side protection built into them.

I've used the Vape Safe before, went through a few of them on some of my home brew genesis attys, and found the ShortStop, which does the same thing, but is a reset-able fuse that costs the same as a Vape Safe. The fact that it resets is the part I like about it, didn't like losing $10 every time I forget the resistance on some of my toys and dropped a 0.8 ohm atty on my PV. Though I also don't like the idea of a runaway battery, so I use them. Adds a bit of protection on some of my mechanicals that don't have anything other than vent holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread