The Subject of COOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaYBoNeS

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
Vancouver
My opinion: not cool in the sense that taking up a potentially harmful habit ever is. As far as the cool factor, the marketing is definitely geared towards this. Our definition of the word has also changed throughout the years. It used to be "cool" to smoke. The look of smoking defined "cool" for a time. There will always be a factor of that in anything that is marketed to the masses. Especially for something that is outside the mainstream. The "cool" factor is a part of the attraction.

Anyone looking for the next great mod on these forums cannot help but see the "cool" factor attached to these devices. It goes beyond any "cool" factor that ordinary smoking ever had. The cigarette, even when made into a cigar, had very little changes in look. The only additions were mouthpieces and pipes. And those changed little over hundreds of years. And here we have shiny, elaborate and great looking pieces of art within less than a decade. So, if you're asking if there is anything cool about vaping, look no further than anyone dropping more than 70 bucks or so on a device which performs the same function as a $30 one (excluding the rip offs and kiosks etc.).

So, definitely people think vaping is "cool" to a certain extent. And that would obviously extend to some others looking to take up vaping. From personal experience, every one of my smoker friends thinks that my pv's are "cool." And my non smoker friends to a large degree think the same. But none of them actually want to start it just to be "cool." Hopefully the definition of "cool" has changed enough throughout the years that not too many people are thinking of taking up vaping to be "cool."

JaYBoNeS

Gribeau

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2010
San Antontio, TX
Oh come on. Vaping is not cool, being a non-smoker is cool? That sounds like boilerplate anti-smoking propoganda. Cool has nothing to do with whether you choose to enjoy a vice or not. Are we stuck in high school, back to the herd mentality belief that the only way to be cool is to mirror your peers?

Cool is whatever you can do confidently and unselfconsciously. Cool is being able to make your own choices. Cool is being comfortable with the fact that you don't always conform to the crowd. Cool is the crowd wanting to conform to you.

I was never cool because I smoked. I am not cool now because I use a PV. I would not be more nor less cool if I never smoked or vaped.

To address the original question. Is vaping cool? Yes, it is, within the proper frame of reference.

When weighed against the various methods of enjoying nicotine using a PV is the coolest by far. You aren't making messes with ashes/butts or globs of nasty spit, you don't reek, you aren't stinking up your car/house/club/whatever, you aren't intruding on anybody else, and you're doing a lot less health damage this way (to name a few reasons).

That's pretty freaking spiffy in my book.

Dawna

Apr 3, 2010
Ohio
Every smoker that has seen me vaping thinks it's ... cool! But usually because they've tried quitting smoking, and just haven't been able to do it. You know what is cool? Waking up in the morning and not feeling like I'm inhaling fire. Aside from feeling better and not smelling like an ashtray, no addiction is "cool", but at least the new version of my addiction doesn't smell bad. :D

Oh, right... the person that posted about starting vaping to lose weight... not cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread