Concerns about vaping luring non-smokers to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaywardMage

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
www.linkedin.com
I strongly believe that the real reason that many of us started smoking in the first place is that, whether we knew it or not, our brains do not produce dopamine or use dopamine as effectively as other peoples brains.

I started smoking because the cool kids smoked. Simple as that. I believe that is the real reason most of us smoke. Somewhere along the way, we knew someone we respected (or at least, respected at the time) and they smoked and we wanted to be like them, so we started smoking.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
I started smoking because the cool kids smoked. Simple as that. I believe that is the real reason most of us smoke. Somewhere along the way, we knew someone we respected (or at least, respected at the time) and they smoked and we wanted to be like them, so we started smoking.

I started smoking intentionally. It was my knowledge of psychology, weirdly enough, that got me smoking.

I saw some really bad stuff while I was on the road, and I had no access to help. I didn't have enough time or money to be "down and out," and I had no other resources.

So I recalled that cigs contain nic, an anti-psychotic, and MAOI's, an anti-depressant.

I bought a pack, and lit one up. It helped immediately. And that's how I started smoking. I knew I'd become an addict. But at the time, believe it or not, that was the better of my options.

WaywardMage

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
www.linkedin.com
I started smoking intentionally as well, it was my knowledge of pretty much nothing at all that got me smoking. I just did it because I was 16 and my 23 year old co-worker had a cool car and a cool job and all the girls. I bought a pack, and lit one up, and I almost choked to death. But I kept at it because I knew when I was 23 years old, I'd have a cool car and a cool job and all the girls. The first time I managed to get it into my lungs, I just sat in the break room for 10 minutes laughing from the brain rush. Damb...how that laughter depresses me now...

Kevin Freeheart

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Live Free Or Die
How do people here discourage non-smokers from trying vaping when there are so many videos and posts with reviews of cool-looking e-cig-type instruments and interesting-sounding flavoured juices? How do people make a non-smoker believe they don't want to start this, even if they think they can do it more safely by choosing no nicotine content in their juices, especially when many of the people telling non-smokers to give it up have reams and reams of information on how to enjoy the very thing people here are telling the non-smoker to swear off?

I don't.

I have no problem with people picking up and running with addictions, frankly.

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
Ok, there's a reason I made this thread seperate from my original one, because this thread was not meant as a way for me to whinge on about my feelings from the other thread. Please do not use this thread for my other one. I'm asking a legitimate question, raised by the compassionate members of this group who already spoke to me in my other thread. Let's stay on topic.

How do people here discourage non-smokers from trying vaping when there are so many videos and posts with reviews of cool-looking e-cig-type instruments and interesting-sounding flavoured juices? How do people make a non-smoker believe they don't want to start this, even if they think they can do it more safely by choosing no nicotine content in their juices, especially when many of the people telling non-smokers to give it up have reams and reams of information on how to enjoy the very thing people here are telling the non-smoker to swear off? (And because it looks like it needs to be said, I know you can't just one day "decide to stop". I've known enough smokers in my life who tried to quit and failed, tried and succeeded, didn't want to try, were forced to quit for medical reasons, etc. to know it's not that simple.) That is what I'm asking. Do you know there are people who will put on spandex suits and stuff themselves inside little metal tubes with rails so they can go shooting down ice-covered half-tunnels with frightening curves at break-neck speeds? And they've made this an olympic sport where you can win a big piece of real gold and be called a hero for doing this! (The luge, for anyone wondering.) How do you tell people not to try luging when it's so praised by those who are interested in it?

And again with the "If I dun like what's said, it must be a troooolllllll!" I'm just going to ignore any of those kinds of comments from now on. Come talk to me when you graduate elementary school, you guys who are doing this.

Ok troll. I've been here ong enough to sniff you guys out. Wasn't that hard though, as your post are just plain silly. Go ahead and ask your ignorant questions, I'm done with you. Just had to call you out though. What kind of 39 yr old ask those kinds of questions? Jus sayin.

Hideto

Verified Member
Dec 27, 2009
Canada
Ok troll. I've been here ong enough to sniff you guys out. Wasn't that hard though, as your post are just plain silly. Go ahead and ask your ignorant questions, I'm done with you. Just had to call you out though. What kind of 39 yr old ask those kinds of questions? Jus sayin.

Promise me you're really done with me? That'd be awfully nice. I'd love to have a thoughtful conversation with intelligent replies that wasn't filled with "Troll!" every five posts. Thanks for being done. Take care! :)

Kevin Freeheart

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Live Free Or Die
Spoken like someone who has never had to deal with one.

That would be an incorrect assumption. :)

I just don't stress myself out over the actions of others. People today have no reason not to understand the potential impact of ingesting addictive substances. Nicotine is addictive. Everybody with a half a brain knows this. Same goes with many other drugs and chemical substances.

Someone who is claiming that shiny blue LEDs and rhinestones will potentially lead to their uncontrolled uptake of an addictive drug is 1.) Skirting their personal responsibility to themselves and 2.) Obviously so easily drawn into addiction that a few posts on a forum won't alter much other than wasting my own time in writing it.

Mrs. Mae

Oct 16, 2010
the Midwest
Ok I would say I definatley do not want to encourage anyone to smoke or to vape. But, you are a grown adult, and can do whatever you please. As for all the flashy bling blind associated with e-cigs, I think it's more to keep people into it. People need variety, choices, a chance to individualize themselves. My husband and I both use e-cigs, but we have VERY different tastes and styles. He being the more pragmatic do it yourself (who would always buy whatever cigarettes were cheapest, no brand loyalty) bought himself a long V4L battery because it would have a longer charge, no flashy colors, just black. He also tends to chose more basic flavors of juice, he's not going to be picky about it, and generally will pick whatever is on sale. He also likes to use the larger juice bottles and refill his cartridges, saving money in the long run. Me on the other hand, am a completely impractical, complusive person. I started smoking with clove cigarettes, as I have a severe sweet tooth. I would tell people when they asked why I smoked them "it's like having my dessert and cigarette at the same time." I got myself three different colors of batteries, have tried probably twenty different flavors of juices, and always get prefilled carts, because I can't be bothered to fill my own. The point I'm getting at here is everyone is different. Just as there are 100s of brands, flavors and strengths of cigarettes, there are just as many for e-cigs. It's not that it's to be alluring, it's that people that use the products are not the same, and want options, so the retailers are providing it to them. Smart marketing, doesn't always have to be sinister. I use e-cigs so I don't use real cigs, but if they were around when I had started smoking I would have been glad I had smoked them instead.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
re: the "bling".

I'm with those of you who say it's to keep us interested in vaping. I know that, FOR ME, if I thought cigarettes weren't going to kill me I'd toss my TW Tornado in the trash today and go get some Camel Filters! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Tornado!

But why do I love it? The flavor is ok, the TH is good if I use the right juice... but it isn't smoking. There has to be more to it or I'll go back. The money savings is a big draw for me but I'd still go back to Camels if that was the only difference.

I need the bling so that when I look at it I will be reminded that I'm NOT SMOKING! I need it to not look like I'm smoking so that I can convince myself that it's finally over. I need to feel like it's a choice that I've made because if I forget that then I'll go back.

I know I'm kidding myself by thinking I'm actually in control now, but that white lie may be saving my life.

Mrs. Mae

Oct 16, 2010
the Midwest
On another note, I don't think necessarily that anyone should start smoking with e-cigs or smoke at all. All I do know is that they have helped plently of people quit smoking cigarettes, and should never be banned. Even if they had only helped one person quit smoking that would have been enough for me to support them. I think the fact that states are trying to ban them is outragous. I've tried it all, cold turkey, nicotine gum, even mentos, this has worked the best, and has obviously worked for other people. If some non-smokers start smoking these of the get go, at least we should be happy they aren't smoking regular cigarettes.

Mrs. Mae

Oct 16, 2010
the Midwest
One other thing. I like that I have a flashy e-cig. I welcome questions when I'm out and about, and having one that is very obviously not a regular cigarette will do that. I would say probably 95% of the people that approach me about it are smokers. I will answer any questions they have and always encourage that they go online an order one. I like that V4L gives you a stack of business cards with every order, if I have them handy I'll hand them out to anyone interested. Getting noticed gets the word out.

Bekinder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
Oklahoma
I call my e-cig, my idiot stick. It is not pleasant having a desire constantly for something that is soooo harmful to your health
as cigarettes (analogs) I had smoked for 50 years. Started out at 19 and was warned against them. I do have COPD, but that improved after I stopped smoking and using e-cigs last Nov.

You certainly are an adult at 39, and what you do, is none of my business. I would feel guilty if I did not warn non-smokers
off of any nicotine or hand to mouth habit. I have quit for many months on several occasions; but the nagging desire never ceases to pester the addict. I am so happy to have changed to e-cig., but they don't make me feel cool as when I first started smoking. Also remember that 50 years ago there was huge amounts of beautiful people smoking; it was on billboards and in movies and magazines; it was advertised enough to brain-wash. I do not use my e-cigs in public, because the really good ones seem to be the larger 5V or so and could be mistaken for something other than an e-cigarette. I'm hopelessly
addicted to nicotine; and would not "ever" entice someone into using anything remotely connected to cigarette. Sorry you have had so much flack on this; but us addicts know of that which we speak!

Kizmara

Jan 2, 2010
South Carolina
I would not advocate anyone to start a hand to mouth habit. E-cigs are not cool and you don't look cool smoking one.

There messy they are time consuming and they can be extremely frustrating when they don't work correctly. I use it for my nic habit. If not for that I wouldn't put myself through the time or expense of doing this.

Is it healthier for you, well we don't know that for sure. Not smoking anything at all would be our ideal world but most of us do not have that luxury, so we vape.

Vaping got us off cigarettes, and we view that as a godsend as we have all ran through the gambit of other NRTs.

Most of vape because we have a choice of vaping or smoking, so someone wanting to vape because of the cool factor is a concept that I can not understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread