The one quitting smoking symptom I was hoping to avoid this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
You should get some whole tobacco alkaloid e-juice or look into smokeless tobacco like Camel Snus. For people with mental health problems, nicotine alone often does not work, because you become dependent on the anti-depressant effects of alkaloids like anatabine, also found in tobacco. Nicotine doesn't create the calm feeling to the degree that anatabine does.

I've never known anybody to cough from second-hand vapor. That's just nonsense.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
treatment and/or therapy for you and your family. There are more anti-depressive drugs out there than doctors can shake a tongue depressor at. They will find something that will work
Repeated for emphasis. I have been on many antidepressants, and finally found one that works, and have been on it for years. And a lot of depression is not just originating in the individual. There are often cultural and familial issues.

grannykimmy

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Alabama
I didn't speak to my husband last night about my feelings. Sunday is a busy day here with kids and grand kids and we both usually fall into bed exhausted by the time everyone goes home. Plus after 33 years of marriage I have found it is almost always better to give yourself time to think about things and having some calm down time before bringing certain issues up, especially when strong feelings and hurt feelings are involved.

We talked this afternoon. I explained what I've read, how I feel. He talked about his concerns, which where mainly that I gave up smoking to do something even more dangerous for my health. I told him that while it's still not known the long term effects but we do know the effects of smoking and I feel inhaling a couple of chemicals has to be better than inhaling over 5000. He agreed to back my choice and I agreed to regular check-ups.

I felt much better depression wise even before we had our talk. This weekend was extra busy and I didn't do much vaping so I'm wondering if I felt so down this morning because of that. After a few hours of vaping my mood improved greatly, I will however order some WTA some of you suggested. The only time I have ever had bad depression was when quitting smoking, of course it may be an underlying thing and by smoking I have been self medicating. I have had more mild depression before that was lingering and tried meds which only caused more health issues I don't want to deal with.

Last edited:

MissBlue

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2014
Lansdowne, PA, USA
I feel inhaling a couple of chemicals has to be better than inhaling over 5000. He agreed to back my choice and I agreed to regular check-ups.

Well done there, on both your parts. :toast: Here is an interesting piece of information that might be useful to talk about with hubby, in your next discussion.

it's a comparison chart showing the ingredients in "Nicorette Quick Mist" - a stop-smoking product sold in drugstores - compared to the ingredients in E-juice.

It shows that E-juice is made of the exact same things as the ---> FDA-Approved Nicorette mist - and in fact the mist has MORE chemicals in it than e-juice does.

So here is proof that the e-juice you are vaping is just as safe as this other inhalation product which is sold by Nicorette, recommended by doctors, and that people inhale every day -- (but nobody is talking about THAT on the news propaganda like they are about vaping, are they? HMPPH). :facepalm: :D

Electronic Cigarettes vs. Nicorette Quickmist » The Electronic Cigarette Buyers Guide

Last edited:

Deeo

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I didn't speak to my husband last night about my feelings. Sunday is a busy day here with kids and grand kids and we both usually fall into bed exhausted by the time everyone goes home. Plus after 33 years of marriage I have found it is almost always better to give yourself time to think about things and having some calm down time before bringing certain issues up, especially when strong feelings and hurt feelings are involved.

We talked this afternoon. I explained what I've read, how I feel. He talked about his concerns, which where mainly that I gave up smoking to do something even more dangerous for my health. I told him that while it's still not known the long term effects but we do know the effects of smoking and I feel inhaling a couple of chemicals has to be better than inhaling over 5000. He agreed to back my choice and I agreed to regular check-ups.

I felt much better depression wise even before we had our talk. This weekend was extra busy and I didn't do much vaping so I'm wondering if I felt so down this morning because of that. After a few hours of vaping my mood improved greatly, I will however order some WTA some of you suggested. The only time I have ever had bad depression was when quitting smoking, of course it may be an underlying thing and by smoking I have been self medicating. I have had more mild depression before that was lingering and tried meds which only caused more health issues I don't want to deal with.

You might want to let him know that there are quite a few people on here that have been solely vaping only for years and they haven't died yet.

Glad you were able to get him on your side.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
congratulations on your first breakthrough, grannykimmy. here's hoping there are many more to come. stand your ground and keep the education coming. you'll feel physically better soon and with some eye opening and acceptance of your loved ones, you should be able to thwart away some of the depression, too.

we're pulling for you.

damn sensationalist propaganda...

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
The depression could have little to do with quitting smoking and more to do with predisposition. Quitting smoking could have triggered your depression, grannykimmy.
I'd go for a depression screening if I were you.

By the way, how much nic is in your juice? If you can handle 24mg, go for it, or at least get the 18mg. That may help lessen the depression. Don't forget, we're on your side, ready to give you support.

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
We talked this afternoon. I explained what I've read, how I feel. He talked about his concerns, which where mainly that I gave up smoking to do something even more dangerous for my health.

There's a lot of FUD being spread about e-cigs right now, almost all of it unfair. So it's easy for a nonsmoker to buy into that. Very little positive is being said about electronic cigarettes aside from e-cig enthusiasts themselves. For nonsmokers, e-cigs are just another front of the "Tobacco Wars" that give them a sense of moral superiority over smokers.

I felt much better depression wise even before we had our talk. This weekend was extra busy and I didn't do much vaping so I'm wondering if I felt so down this morning because of that. After a few hours of vaping my mood improved greatly, I will however order some WTA some of you suggested..

When you quit before and had depression, did you quit cold turkey or with NRT? Nicotine is an antidepressant in itself, but for some people the additional alkaloids in tobacco enhances antidepressant and anti-anxiety effects of nicotine, and people with mental health issues seem the most sensitive to WTA.

Dusif

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Denmark
I would say you should up your nic a bit and watch a good movie while sitting relaxed with a good cup of coffee... Nothing seems to kick a depressions rearend than just sitting back and enjoying life... A good book can substitute the movie, i recommend "a song of fire and ice (game of thrones)...

Vamo vivi/protank
Kts+ igo-w 0,7

grannykimmy

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Alabama
Well done there, on both your parts. :toast: Here is an interesting piece of information that might be useful to talk about with hubby, in your next discussion.

it's a comparison chart showing the ingredients in "Nicorette Quick Mist" - a stop-smoking product sold in drugstores - compared to the ingredients in E-juice.

It shows that E-juice is made of the exact same things as the ---> FDA-Approved Nicorette mist - and in fact the mist has MORE chemicals in it than e-juice does.

So here is proof that the e-juice you are vaping is just as safe as this other inhalation product which is sold by Nicorette, recommended by doctors, and that people inhale every day -- (but nobody is talking about THAT on the news propaganda like they are about vaping, are they? HMPPH). :facepalm: :D

Electronic Cigarettes vs. Nicorette Quickmist » The Electronic Cigarette Buyers Guide

Thank you for sharing this I posted it to my FB page and will be showing it to my husband.

grannykimmy

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Alabama
The depression could have little to do with quitting smoking and more to do with predisposition. Quitting smoking could have triggered your depression, grannykimmy.
I'd go for a depression screening if I were you.

By the way, how much nic is in your juice? If you can handle 24mg, go for it, or at least get the 18mg. That may help lessen the depression. Don't forget, we're on your side, ready to give you support.

I tried 24 and didn't like the way I felt, 18 seems to be perfect for me.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
It might be the social pressure that is triggering the depression. Can you try vaping unflavored? I find that mood swings are eased by a dose of nicotine.

This.

When I quit I dropped my nic levels way too fast and found myself dealing with anxiety and depression. These days I vape 0 nic most of the time but when I feel the depression starting up I vape some 6 mg I keep around and it usually passes quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread