Not open for further replies.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Paxil and other SSRI anti-depressants. This one hits home pretty hard for me too. My wife was given this after our child was born because she supposedly had postpartum depression. Turns out she didn't and was just being worn down with baby duties being a first time mother, so she ATTEMPTED to get off it. Withdrawal from this kind of medication is unreal and I honestly feared for her life. We didn't even realize the lack of the medication was the problem until 6 months later when we finally figured out that her symptoms started about 2 weeks after she stopped taking it.

Check it out. http://http://www.drugrecalls.com/paxil.html

The actual side effect list is unreal and includes things such as electrical "discharges" in your brain, loss of memory, extreme fatigue, distorted vision, etc.

The cool part about this is that they APPROVED it and then issued a ton of "advisories" warning of yet another side effect. They of course have yet to even ban these drugs in children that I know of, which is where they are even MORE dangerous.

Articles about the handling of the situation.

British vs FDA

Congress Vs FDA

Nicotine Vs SSRI

Make sure to read the part in the last post about 83% of the test patients using an additional "substance" with the nicotine. I'm sure the narcotics had nothing to do with the sleep problems, it was definitely the nicotine that parents have smoked for a hundred years with healthy children being born to them on the regular.

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV (in a small cloud)
Fen-phen injured a ton of people and was approved by the FDA.

The ...... thing...yah...that stuff's dangerous. Had a friend who had his drink spiked with some.. Apparently he and his girlfriend left his house 3 days later..

I know there's a ton of things the FDA has approved that hurt people, yet there's no accountability. There are no real repercussions for them (that I know of) approving a drug or product that isn't safe. They just seem to say "sorry, we didn't know, we're issuing a recall".

Edit: forgot to say.... If it's between zits and a messed up colon, I'll take the zits thanks. ^_^

bamdet

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Wixom, MI
As much as I like my e-cig and how it has absolutely made it possible for me to stay away from analogs(along with many orhers on this forum)

...it is a losing battle

Sad to say that no amount of flyers (or anything else) is going to make a difference. It is all about money, corrupt politics and special interest groups that run this country. Don't mean to rain on your parade...but it is just a matter of time.

piratecaptainbob

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
north carolina
As much as I like my e-cig and how it has absolutely made it possible for me to stay away from analogs(along with many orhers on this forum)

...it is a losing battle

Sad to say that no amount of flyers (or anything else) is going to make a difference. It is all about money, corrupt politics and special interest groups that run this country. Don't mean to rain on your parade...but it is just a matter of time.

yep, like george carlin said, this country was bought sold and paid for a long time ago

brandon555

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2010
Wisconsin

...it is a losing battle

Sadly, I agree.

lookin2quit

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2009
La Mesa, California, United States
What about Enbrel? My mom was on it for rheumatoid arthritis and got lymphoma. According to the prescribing information,

"Patients have been observed in clinical trials with ENBREL® for over five years. Among 4462 rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with ENBREL® in clinical trials for a mean of 27 months (approximately 10000 patient-years of therapy), 9 lymphomas were observed for a rate of 0.09 cases per 100 patient-years. This is 3-fold higher than the rate of lymphomas expected in the general population based on the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Database.10 An increased rate of lymphoma up to several fold has been reported in the rheumatoid arthritis patient population, and may be further increased in patients with more severe disease activity11, 12 (emphasis mine).

I guess the question is how much increased risk is tolerable in a drug? To me, a 3-fold higher risk of cancer is not acceptable in the least, no matter what the benefit of the drug is (in my mom's case, the drug worked wonderfully for her arthritis).

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
What about Enbrel? My mom was on it for rheumatoid arthritis and got lymphoma. According to the prescribing information,

"Patients have been observed in clinical trials with ENBREL® for over five years. Among 4462 rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with ENBREL® in clinical trials for a mean of 27 months (approximately 10000 patient-years of therapy), 9 lymphomas were observed for a rate of 0.09 cases per 100 patient-years. This is 3-fold higher than the rate of lymphomas expected in the general population based on the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Database.10 An increased rate of lymphoma up to several fold has been reported in the rheumatoid arthritis patient population, and may be further increased in patients with more severe disease activity11, 12 (emphasis mine).

I guess the question is how much increased risk is tolerable in a drug? To me, a 3-fold higher risk of cancer is not acceptable in the least, no matter what the benefit of the drug is (in my mom's case, the drug worked wonderfully for her arthritis).

I'm very sorry this happened to your mother.

Just because something has the FDA *stamp of approval* does not mean it is safe. I will repeat what I said earlier. The balancing act is risk vs. benefit plus factoring in any medical conditions, other meds and OTC meds the individual takes. The FDA seems to fast track too many new drugs and we basically get to beta test them while BP rakes in our money and bilks insurance companies :(

I know the risks of Premarin but I choose to take it. I know the risks of nicotine to my high blood pressure, but I choose to vape. Our best defense is to be educated consumers. I don't see a ban happening, FDA and BP see dollar signs and will posture until they can find a way profit...no matter the health risk vs. benefits.

Sorry if I rambled, been a long day :facepalm:

MsV

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Boon, MI
That is exactly the point. All of these things that are hundreds of times more harmful than an ecig and they're "approved" without so much as the bat of an eye. I'm aware of the effects of nicotine. I was aware of that when I smoked it AND 4000 other chemicals. Is this perfect ? Of course not! But it is a heck of a lot better than continuing to smoke. For me and everyone around me. Sadly I have to agree that all they are really after is how to line their pockets. I just want something to awaken the general public. The ones whose blind faith has them spouting fountains of misinformation. I can't change the world but maybe I can change a mind or two. I don't have dreams of running up the steps of Capitol Hill and magically making the House and Senate agree with me (that would be so cool though!LOL). I just want to educate Joe on the street. Support can come from unlikely places.

Tampa2

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tampa
www.gatorvapor.com
chantix...side effects include thoughts of suicide...this is the new tactic, make people kill themselves instead of the FDA killing them. so if e-cigs are banned, your choices are either smoke analogs and die a slow cancerous death or take chantix and do yourself in quickly. sorry i dont have a list of the rest of the side effects but this is my favorite one. when i get more time ill try to help you out more.

Chantix......Has been linked to over 100 deaths now!
But this drug is owned by Big Pharm so the FDA approves!

the_antisheep

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2010
CO
Your fave one should be the other side effect which is 'homicidal ideation'. You might not just be at risk of hurting yourself but of hurting others.

I like the idea of picking up a less harmful addiction like killing people! I mean, part of the addiction is finding something to do with your hands, right? :D

Kirssstens

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Thodeepught
Just to throw in another opinion,

The problems with these medications is how different everyone's experiences are.

I took Paxil during my pregnancy years and I just put two healthy teenagers on the bus about two hours ago.

I also took Acutane as a teenager without any thoughts of suicide, obviously, just didn't clear up the gosh darn zits.

The grumblings about Chantix are the same side effects that may occur when giving up cigarettes, so how do you tell which is which?

Dr. tells me to try a low-dose birth control pill to up my estrogen levels and the only side effect is that I want to rip someone's head off and pee down the hole. Who Knew? I bet if you asked them, my family would say this commonly prescribed medication is less than safe.

The whole thing is a big mess and I honor you MS.V for attempting to wade through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread