Status
Not open for further replies.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Pdib, I think you are on to something there. The riptrip version used 28g for the core and 32 for the wrap. 7 inches of 28 and 36" of 32, but then a lot got trimmed off after the coil was mounted. So it seems the resistance is the same as the core and the wrap dissipates the heat and improves juice contact. Am thinking about giving this a try.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

vap_drifter

Feb 17, 2014
midwest
Electricity always takes the least resistant route but I'm sure some of it is bleeding off into the outer coil as well. I think the outer coils are mainly there to create more heated surface area to trap liquid. Its basically a metal wick wrapped around the main heating coil. This is more then likely the most efficient coil I've seen made yet.

The only wire I had when I seen this coil for the first time was 32 so I took it a step further and took three strands of 32, twisted them with a drill and used that as the core and spun 32 around the triple 32. Works even better by adding even more surface area to the coil.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
If it were nr wire, then the current would prefer it. Anyone notice which guitar string was in the video? I know it is .4mm, but is that a d or an e? I'm going to be around an old guitar tomorrow and might bring some cutters.

Edit: my wikifu tells me that is a g string, the thickest before the wound ones. :)
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vap_drifter

Feb 17, 2014
midwest
So, I could wrap the fat wire with just about anything? doesn't even have to be resistance wire? Would it maybe be better if it wasn't res.? Worse?

might be better then, to not have the outer wire get to the posts. last thing you want is some confused electrons. ;)

Using non resistance wire would just make a short regardless. The non resistant would be the path the current would choose avoiding the resistance wire. all the wire in this coil needs to be resistance wire.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Using non resistance wire would just make a short regardless. The non resistant would be the path the current would choose avoiding the resistance wire. all the wire in this coil needs to be resistance wire.

duh :facepalm:

it's a good thing I don't invent stuff.

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
duh :facepalm:

it's a good thing I don't invent stuff.

LOL.
ba-dum-tish.gif

Last edited:

silber

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
Just tried my hand at hand-wrapping some clapton coils in the bathroom. I call it the Crapton coil.

p0eMhb7.jpg

First tip, is you can stop the extra wraps short of the posts and just thread your core wire into the posts. It will glow up and vape the exact same way, tested it. So you don't need a fancy RDA to use these, in this picture I'm using a 4 dollar nimbus clone with tiny post holes.

I personally noticed that these vape the best when the core and outer wire are the same diameter. The pictured coil is 28ga on 28ga (which is a PAIN to wrap, do not recommend doing it by hand) but I built another 30ga on 28ga one and the glow-up time was insanely long, even using less wraps so the resistance was equal.

It does vape like a lower resistance coil than it is, but the warm-up time is a lot longer than a normal coil. When I fire it, barely any vapor comes off for around 1 full second. Then it will make a loud popping sound, shoot hot vapor everywhere, burn me a little, and start ....ting forth massive billowy clouds. The warm up time on the 30/28ga one was more like 3 full seconds.

Over all its a decent coil, but the warm up time makes it a gimmick at best. The flavor is great, the vapor production is decent, but that warm up time... Wold be an awesome vape for high watt regulated mods, but it still gets beat by a regular old coil on mech mods. Just my 2cents.

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Also OP, please share with us what kind of camera you are using. I want.

Hope this info is helpful:

A lot of people, when trying to shoot something small, put the camera up very close to the object. This can end up with blurry photos, since the camera doesn't focus well at short distances.

You can get better results if you back the camera away, and zoom in on the object. (You'll also get better depth-of-field).

HTH...

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
Hope this info is helpful:

A lot of people, when trying to shoot something small, put the camera up very close to the object. This can end up with blurry photos, since the camera doesn't focus well at short distances.

You can get better results if you back the camera away, and zoom in on the object. (You'll also get better depth-of-field).

HTH...

*Sometimes* this is true. Generally when using an SLR of some sort this will help (to a point) but if you're using a camera with digital zoom (which is more or less useless anyways) this really doesn't help.

I've been in the market for a somewhat inexpensive DSLR macro lens for some time, and was hoping for some insight.

Reactions: VegasVaap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread