The Chinese angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orb Skewer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
Terra firma
Given that European and non European countries, and the USA are the biggest consumers of vaping products-now running figures in revenue going into $£billions, and all of the moves on restrictions/licensing/medicalisation etc etc would this effectively mean a trading embargo on Chinese E-cig products ? who else on the globe purchases these goods ?-what happens to all the products manufactured in China-the factories-the jobs-the industry ?
Openly-the MHRA said "nothing currently on the market would qualify for an MA"
Does this 'simply Mean' (do you see what I did there?) that there will be 2 lane distribution of these products available-one Market Approved (for the Pharmas to distribute) and one for open distribution to ordinary 'consumers' ?
And who informs the Chinese that they can stop loading their container ships of these thousands of products?

:confused:

Orb Skewer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
Terra firma
When it comes to regulation, it's going to be applied to the juice, not the hardware.

I too think the easiest approach to a 'market grab' would be to strangle the juice supply-or alter it to low doses, but how attractive would a Vamo or a Provari then be as a purchase when all you were left to stick on top of it is a pre filled Kanger ?.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
We just all have to move to a land of free people where adults can make their own choices. Hopefully that will remain the USA and I don't have to move.

The pilgrims fled religious oppression and started new lives in the new world. Then they got taxed and regulated to death, started a revolution, killed a whole lot of redcoats who had no concept of the meaning of liberty, and the rest as they say, is history. Is vaping a faith as strong as religion lol?

The problem with the 'market grab' angle, is that prefilled equipment will have to be made well...no gurgling or leaking or dry hits, because if you label it a medical device the price is going to sky-rocket and the quality is not there. We currently have people to complain about $3 BCC tanks leaking and whatnot....i just dont see it happening, the days of well made chinese stuff is behind us in the left mirror, and cheap high quality US made stuff is in the right...they could possibly restrict the juice though, and if they do i'm going to expect it to be the best juice i've ever had and i'm going to expect my insurance to pay for it :D

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Just read the entire thread and recommend it. Some interesting insight on who knows what and how much and who's doing the recommending and policy-making in the UK.
I haven't read the whole thread yet. Though post #108 is concerning if true. There were similar comments from AEMSA members after the FDA session, indicating that the FDA didn't even know about free roaming e-liquid being sold. The impression given was that e-cigs were all cigalikes. This sounds similar to what post #108 is eluding to about the MHRA. Extremely sad if true, that regulators from around the globe are quick to pull the trigger on e-cigs if they truly don't even know the extent of the market.

Orb Skewer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
Terra firma
Just read the entire thread and recommend it. Some interesting insight on who knows what and how much and who's doing the recommending and policy-making in the UK.

Ahh, therein lies the problem AgentAnia-no one seems to have any 'definitive' information, and most alarmingly-the ones who are least clued up are the ...... whos job it is to legislate all this (potential-catastrophe-waiting-to-happen),
There have even been UK government ministers side stepping protocols and fast tracking this in Brussels :ohmy:
I hope and pray that they 'beat the retreat' before it all starts to wobble-and they all go away and do their homework this time (they have had 3 years already) and it seems 'the dog' ate their homework.
The implications of a '.... up' are immense.

I used the Chinese angle to draw attention to this, I do of course care more about 10's of thousands of jobs and infrastructure all across the EU/non EU countries and the USA.

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
The black market will fill any gaps the regulators force on consumers. The public will not be told to lie down, shut up and die.

I am in total agreement with your statement. Off-color markets are everywhere; this would be no different.

Slight edit: The vaping public will not be told to lie down...! :)

I like this one: "The toothpaste is out of the tube."

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Ahh, therein lies the problem AgentAnia-no one seems to have any 'definitive' information, and most alarmingly-the ones who are least clued up are the ...... whos job it is to legislate all this (potential-catastrophe-waiting-to-happen)

Deliberate liars aside (and they abound), I am dismayed by the abysmal ignorance about ecigs shown worldwide by academicians, researchers, legislators and regulators who hold our future in their hands. I'm going to be charitable and assume they don''t know enough to know how ignorant they are and that their ignorance is so obvious. It's almost embarrassing to read most of what they say.

I know they don't like anecdotal evidence or testimonials, I know they want to rely on "real science" before passing on the safety (or not) of ecigs, but for gawd sake, can't they at least talk to a real vaper so they'd at least know how the technology works, instead of relying on outdated pictures and descriptions from 2007? :gnashing teeth and pulling hair out now: /rant

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
I know they don't like anecdotal evidence or testimonials, I know they want to rely on "real science" before passing on the safety (or not) of ecigs, but for gawd sake, can't they at least talk to a real vaper so they'd at least know how the technology works, instead of relying on outdated pictures and descriptions from 2007? :gnashing teeth and pulling hair out now: /rant
Wise words!! The problem is to THEM, we are no better than smokers or i'd go as far as to say, to THEM, all we are is a bunch of smokers who want a better way to smoke. They have no regard for our movement or technology. It is up to us to change that perception somehow. How many articles have we seen that mention "smokers found a way to circumvent the laws" Thats what we are to those who don't understand. My own stepfather doesn't acknowledge that I have quit. People are ignorant, they are so used to demoralizing us, they plan to continue no matter what we blow out of our mouth! It looks like smoking, it can't be any healthier. We have ignited the ANTZ nightmare all over again. :vapor: We gotta figure this thing out, and until the media stops stomping on us with constant lies and garbage its going to be tough.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Wise words!! The problem is to THEM, we are no better than smokers or i'd go as far as to say, to THEM, all we are is a bunch of smokers who want a better way to smoke. They have no regard for our movement or technology. It is up to us to change that perception somehow. How many articles have we seen that mention "smokers found a way to circumvent the laws" Thats what we are to those who don't understand. My own stepfather doesn't acknowledge that I have quit. People are ignorant, they are so used to demoralizing us, they plan to continue no matter what we blow out of our mouth! It looks like smoking, it can't be any healthier. We have ignited the ANTZ nightmare all over again. :vapor: We gotta figure this thing out, and until the media stops stomping on us with constant lies and garbage its going to be tough.

You hit the nail square on the head as far as I am concerned.

It looks like smoking.......Don't let the children watch or they might get infected.....God help us all!

:vapor:

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
You hit the nail square on the head as far as I am concerned.

It looks like smoking.......Don't let the children watch or they might get infected.....God help us all!

:vapor:

I don't like my children (now grown) to be subjected to a-holes. Does that mean I have the right to make them leave when I enter a public area?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I don't like my children (now grown) to be subjected to a-holes. Does that mean I have the right to make them leave when I enter a public area?
I'm not sure I understand this post, but...

Exposure to a-holes is not the same as exposure to something that looks like smoking.
But again, maybe I'm missing your point?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
My point was completely sarcastic and pretty much out of context. Just one of those moments. :)
Okay, I see what you did there...

And yes, you have the right to clear the public space of a-holes when your children are present.
You just need to be very tall and very intimidating.

But if you are those things, then you have that right.
If you are not those things, then the a-holes do not have to consider your concerns.

Great world we live in, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread