The Buzz Pro - a Dissenting Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GadFly

Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Well, I just unwrapped my new Buzz Pro.

Given the reviews I've read, I expected to be blown away by the Buzz Pro. This device is seemingly very highly regarded in the community, by reviewers that I've come to trust. Universal acclaim. But my initial reaction to the device is disappointment. So much so that initially it occurred to me that I may have bought a fake.

I've heard raves about the "fit and finish" of the Buzz Pro. I was not similarly impressed.

The unit arrived wrapped in bubble wrap, no box, no accessories, just the Buzz Pro in some bubble wrap. Included is one laser-printed sheet of scant information. I had to guess at battery insertion. Good thing it comes with "reverse battery protection", huh?

The battery cap is junk, the threads are plastic and will strip, especially given that the cap also functions as an on/off switch. Just a matter of time. And when I screw the cap down, its' circumference doesn't align with the circumference of the tube, i.e. one side of the cap juts out from the body while the other side is flush. The bottom of the cap is not flat, and the device wobbles precariously when stood on it's end. Nit-picks perhaps, but also a testament to QC issues.

The fire button, while serviceable, strikes me as cheap.

The voltage thumb-wheel is tiny, stiff and difficult to adjust with precision. I have to use my thumbnail. The voltage level indicators are but sloppy dabs of red, yellow and green paint. Time will tell whether these paint dabs will chip or wear off. I'm not betting against it.

The 510 connection sticks up far enough to prevent my tanks from sitting flush against the body, but not far enough to allow me to use my eGo attys and tanks which comprise about 75% of my accessory collection. That just sucks. The contact is a Phillips head screw, lending the Buzz Pro a DIY look that's probably best reserved for mods in the 10-15 dollar range.

And finally, I am mystified by the decision to hide the power and activation LED inside the mod, requiring one to tilt the device to check these conditions. Forget about doing so as you use the device. This is a design flaw that is easily remedied.

Being a newbie around here, I'm concerned that I'll not make any friends with this post, but these are points I wish I would have read before I paid the $160+ price of admission for this mod. Honestly, I feel ripped off by a product that I perceive as little more than a flashlight body equipped with a 75-cent potentiometer.

Last edited:

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Well, I for one am not mad at you!
We can all have different opinions. However, I agree with a lot of your points. Its does work well with very little fiddling though. That's a plus. I understand though, and do feel like the bottom cap is crap, the button, to me, very nice with good feedback but can fail and does.

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
Gadfly,

I understand your concerns but i have to ask, did you read any indepth reviews? Did you look at the features before you bought it ? I guess I only ask because while these features seem crude that is what the Buzz is noted for. Before i bought it i understood it was a no frills workhorse intended for long service. It doesnt look nor was it intended to be a provari.

My number 1 gripe with all mod manufacturers and distributors has always been lack of documentation and lack of accurate descriptions on the manufacturer or distributor websites. It is almost as if the manufacturers cater to experienced users and it is a lacking part of our industry that i am hoping changes time permitting.

I did however get exactely what I expected and it works exactely as described. Their warranty is great and despite the no frills approach it does what it should when it should. I think you need to do a couple of things. Relax on your first impression. I know you spent alot of money on the device and so I am not discounting or taking anything away from you but more of a suggestion, give it the chance to prove you wrong. The device wont mystically transform into a cadillac or a ferarri, it was designed as an old faithful. It's like that wrench in your toolbox that despite being 50 years old and not being the prettiest tool in your toolbox it is still there for a reason....... It just works. It doesnt let you down.

If you want the up sides to the Buzz pro it:

Is simplistic
It is durable
It is rebuildable
It comes with a good warranty from a reputable vendor
It throws out a ton of power
It is safe
The batteries last a hell of a long time for what it is capable of
They retain excellent resale value

Sometimes a device much like anything else is defined by the whole of what it isnt.

GadFly

Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Hey newq, many thanks for the insightful reply. Your post was precisely the sort of info I was seeking when I posted my review. I want to like this mod and I want to be in the BP fan club.

I did indeed do my research. I was definitely familiar with the functionality of the Buzz Pro. I was looking for a well-made device that could move a lot of vapor. I've been getting some giant, cough-inducing hits off of this thing all night. This is a pleasant contrast to my 510 and eGo and thus it satisfies the latter requirement.

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
Don't be ashamed to put your opinion out there, youre entitled to it. I do not own a buzz pro, i would like to some day. However this, and the numerous posts about the less than drop proof design don't exactly fill me with confidence in what is supposed to be a quality american made device. I guess I'll keep going back and forth on which one to buy first

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
Please don't mistake my post for attempting to quiet your concerns , objective criticism is the mother of continuing improvement. Quite the latter iI like when people speak their minds it often brings up points I had not thought of. I also know that the threading on the plastic end cap needed to be such to function as a on/off switch but was not to thrilled about it and would rather have seen a on off switch or something as opposed to the cap however if the threading does break or wear out you can buy the delrin threads alone from buzz for like 8 bucks if memory serves or if you want to you can purchase the old style all metal cap in brass or Chrome.. The buzz much like Gad has said has the ability to choke you out if you aren't sure of its settings it does throw a lot of power. I think there is room for improvement in everything but as a whole the device puts the money where your mouth is!

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
The battery cap is junk, the threads are plastic and will strip, especially given that the cap also functions as an on/off switch. Just a matter of time.

Not to dismiss your concerns, but the threads are plastic because if you ever have a bat go short, these threads will soften and thus the cap is designed as something of a blow out protector. I've been using mine going on 4 months, and mine haven't shown any signs of stripping. In fact, with all the people that use B Pro's around here, I have never heard a single person say that their threads stripped. Ever. The offset is just the way the threaded insert is seated on the back plate. You can readjust by loosening the nut, readjusting and retightening. I have a slightly different gripe with the bottom cap. I have had a couple times had the nut loosen enough that the cap would lo longer spin off. When this has happened, I just took a screwdriver and spun the screw until the nut came completely off inside, took out the threaded insert carefully with a screwdriver, and reassembled. This is partly the way this is designed, and partly my fault for not putting a drop of Locktite on the screw to keep this from happening.

The voltage thumb-wheel is tiny, stiff and difficult to adjust with precision. I have to use my thumbnail. The voltage level indicators are but sloppy dabs of red, yellow and green paint. Time will tell whether these paint dabs will chip or wear off. I'm not betting against it.

The wheel is stiff intentionally, so when you carry the device in your pocket, the dial won't be as apt to move. It still does, but not very much. It will also loosen up a bit with use.

HTH

Chris

Last edited:

jkoppk

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2011
hanover,PA.
I don't think my Buzzpro is a great looking mod either but the performance it gives made me forget about that long ago.I have run this mod hard with dual coil 1.5 ohm and 1.25 ohm cartos in tanks for a long time and it never fails me.I saw in a review somewhere it puts out over 5 volts under load to a 1.5 dual coil and that rocks in a tank setup.I bet the BP grows on ya LOL.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
I don't think my Buzzpro is a great looking mod either but the performance it gives made me forget about that long ago.I have run this mod hard with dual coil 1.5 ohm and 1.25 ohm cartos in tanks for a long time and it never fails me.I saw in a review somewhere it puts out over 5 volts under load to a 1.5 dual coil and that rocks in a tank setup.I bet the BP grows on ya LOL.

Man, that's 16.6 watts with a 1.5, and 20 watts with a 1.25. Have you found any juice/tank that needs that much power to taste and vape at its best, or was that just for kicks?

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Man, that's 16.6 watts with a 1.5, and 20 watts with a 1.25. Have you found any juice/tank that needs that much power to taste and vape at its best, or was that just for kicks?

From what I hear, the math is different with dual coils, but I cant remember for sure.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
The disappointments you listed are all features others find desirable. A couple of them were already mentioned - the bottom cap being part of the safety features to easily blow out if a battery failure occurred - the wheel being a little tight and recessed so as not to change positions while in a pocket - etc.

Let's hit a couple of other features real quick:

The fire button - It is a C&K switch. Now and then I read someone knocked the pin cover (button part of the switch) off and I think that's a bit of a concern. C&K rates that particular momentary switch for no less than a half million state changes (clicks) under full load. I think that was a good switch choice for that device. C&K has been in business over 60 years and make pretty much every button and switch we touch in our daily lives from inside our automobiles to every elevator button to turning on our dishwashers etc etc etc. It's tough to fault choosing a C&K... even if this particular button seems a little small and now and then someone will knock the pin cover off of one.

The connector w/ screw center pin: This is what I really wanted to talk about. Seriously. The absolute best thing about the notcigs products is their connectors. The connector on my notcigs PV is one of the two or three best I have ever seen. I don't know where they have them made, but these are high quality connectors. I don't know how many PVs I've had fail due to cheap connectors where center pins were too easily mashed down or that had washers between the pin and the ground that are easily eaten by e-juice or have had the threads wear out really fast from normal use of spinning on and off attys and cartos - etc. A quality connector is worth its weight in gold. It is the biggest reason your BP will last for a very, very long time.

If I read you right, your disappointment is that it stands off the catch cup so that tanks don't sit right on the body of the PV and that since it does stand up, you feel like it should accommodate your ego-specific attys and cartos. Also, the screw bugs you...

You are not the only one who wants their tank to have a more seamless look to it. There is a thread in the notcigs sub-forum right now that asks "what would you like to see notcigs carry?". Several times in that thread so far, people have asked for a spacer of some sort to go between the body of the BP or IP to a tank. - I think Buzzkill has taken note of that and I foresee him doing something about it one of these days. I bet sometime in the not-too-distant future, there will be an accessory that takes care of that concern. So, don't feel alone wanting your tank to 'sit flush'. It's a valid point for sure, and one I really think notcigs will address.

The raised connector the way it is, however, is perfect for a lot of people who don't use tanks. Put an atty on it and a drip shield fits perfectly without needing a shorty or stealth adapter. - Along these lines is your desire to be able to use your ego specific stuff on it. Well, good news! If you use a 510 to ego adapter like this one, your ego specific stuff will not only work, but will also be more stable and provide the draw you are used to than if it were installed on a straight 510 post like this one. I have run some ego-specific attys and cartos on many non-ego PVs. I'm speaking from experience. The draw changes drastically when ego-specific stuff is on just a straight 510 post.

The screw. Well, it is completely functional and allows the connector to have a vinyl/plastic washer under it that isn't susceptible to being degraded by exposure to e-juice like most of the rubber grommets found in cheap connectors. Again, I have no idea who machines these connectors for notcigs, but that screw is the difference between notcigs being able to use a high quality custom connector and them having to use the same el-cheapo connector you'll find in lots of other PVs. That screw is also why you can have top caps for different connectors and change them easily. If you ever decide you'd like to use 801, 901, or 808 natively on your BP, you can get just the top cap and change it out. (so, obviously, I think the screw is cool ;) )

Last edited:

Sedateme

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
Bismarck, ND

From what I hear, the math is different with dual coils, but I cant remember for sure.

Cut those wattage calculations in half, and that's what is going across each coil... the 2 coils are in parallel, so with the 1.5 ohm DCC you are using 2 coils at 3 ohms each. Twice the wattage, but it's not all going across 1 1.5 ohm coil. Hope that helps.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Cut those wattage calculations in half, and that's what is going across each coil... the 2 coils are in parallel, so with the 1.5 ohm DCC you are using 2 coils at 3 ohms each. Twice the wattage, but it's not all going across 1 1.5 ohm coil. Hope that helps.

Yeah, that was the very young and foolish John D who questioned the 16 watts, before he had his eyes opened in this must-read thread - at least it's a must-read for anyone who doesn't completely understand how volts, ohms, watts, number of coils, coil surface area, juice flavor, juice feed to the coils, maybe even nic strength and PG/VG ratio, and the phase of the moon (OK, I made that one up) affect the vape, and how higher volt/higher resistance watts are possibly/likely "better" than lower volt/lower resistance coils at providing the best vape.

Come to think of it, I think I'll re-read it myself. :)

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ined-detail-single-dual-coil-atty-cartos.html

Last edited:
I've owned mine for 8 months now. I love the unit, when it works that is. Within the first month the switch button fell off, i lost it and had to use a pencil eraser with electrical tape. Finally, i found it and have been using it 7 months with the button covered with electrical tape. no issues with the button though.

Since then, the end cap has quit working. It has 2 leads inside above the threads that are whiteish colored and they have to be made contact with, or so i leaned by using a pick set to find out why it wouln't power up.

Now the voltage dial has quit working, no matter what i set it at it vapes at 3.2v and i just twist it 4-5 times back and forth and randomly let it land on something, usually above 5volts the red mark and it vapes at around 4.0 volts. So, i dunno man. I like the device and its the best ive used, but as far as longevity is concerned, im not to overly impressed either. Plus, just to send it back for the button it will be 15 dollars for a fix. might as well trash it and buy something else i guess.

XtianApi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2012
Tucker, Georgia
I am not mad at you either. I went with the all metal bottom cap. The Delrin is used because there used to be problems with the metal functioning as an off switch. Get the metal cap and try it out. The LED is hidden inside because they want to maintain that mechanical mod look, with a great, hidden chip inside. The Buzz Pro can push a dual coil cartomizer harder than the provari. The paint on the wheel does last well over time. I agree it is kind of stiff and hard to turn, but I like that, it keeps from moving when gripping it. Don't forget the buzz before this, had a tiny screw for adjusting voltage. This came from a time when, IMO, people didn't change the voltage around as much as we do today, we have so many different devices now. I love the Buzz Pro, but if you don't I can understand that, it is not for everyone. I have opinions that I don't share with others. The buzz pro, imo, is supposed to be a simple mechanical type mod, while being advanced on the inside. I love it, I got tired of adjusting voltage by going into a menu and guessing at how much I want to adjust it, then trying it again, then going back into the menu. It is more personal, to just turn the wheel a little more, while vaping. I love it. SOmetimes a different perspective can help, but I am not trying to sway you.

Well, I just unwrapped my new Buzz Pro.

Given the reviews I've read, I expected to be blown away by the Buzz Pro. This device is seemingly very highly regarded in the community, by reviewers that I've come to trust. Universal acclaim. But my initial reaction to the device is disappointment. So much so that initially it occurred to me that I may have bought a fake.

I've heard raves about the "fit and finish" of the Buzz Pro. I was not similarly impressed.

The unit arrived wrapped in bubble wrap, no box, no accessories, just the Buzz Pro in some bubble wrap. Included is one laser-printed sheet of scant information. I had to guess at battery insertion. Good thing it comes with "reverse battery protection", huh?

The battery cap is junk, the threads are plastic and will strip, especially given that the cap also functions as an on/off switch. Just a matter of time. And when I screw the cap down, its' circumference doesn't align with the circumference of the tube, i.e. one side of the cap juts out from the body while the other side is flush. The bottom of the cap is not flat, and the device wobbles precariously when stood on it's end. Nit-picks perhaps, but also a testament to QC issues.

The fire button, while serviceable, strikes me as cheap.

The 510 connection sticks up far enough to prevent my tanks from sitting flush against the body, but not far enough to allow me to use my eGo attys and tanks which comprise about 75% of my accessory collection. That just sucks. The contact is a Phillips head screw, lending the Buzz Pro a DIY look that's probably best reserved for mods in the 10-15 dollar range.

And finally, I am mystified by the decision to hide the power and activation LED inside the mod, requiring one to tilt the device to check these conditions. Forget about doing so as you use the device. This is a design flaw that is easily remedied.

Being a newbie around here, I'm concerned that I'll not make any friends with this post, but these are points I wish I would have read before I paid the $160+ price of admission for this mod. Honestly, I feel ripped off by a product that I perceive as little more than a flashlight body equipped with a 75-cent potentiometer.

bishopmolson

Oct 28, 2012
canada

I find it refreshing to read a review that is not all fluff.
I was thinking of ordering a Buzz Pro for myself but would not be able to live with those issues at that price.
I think I will get a Young June Lavatube until I can save enough for the Provari.
Thank you.

chuckie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2009
miami fl USA
Your write up was excellent,the more people that understand that most of these battery holders are basically over priced pieces of electronic junk,the better off everyone will be.
As far as reviewers go,if you find one that starts out with"I love this device" hit the stop button and avoid that device at all costs. I appreciate your honest opinion....Thanks again.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Your write up was excellent,the more people that understand that most of these battery holders are basically over priced pieces of electronic junk,the better off everyone will be.
As far as reviewers go,if you find one that starts out with"I love this device" hit the stop button and avoid that device at all costs. I appreciate your honest opinion....Thanks again.

I just can't get behind that, although I understand the spirit in which it was written.

I offer this video as an example of a reviewer being honestly and IMO accurately enthusiastic about a device:

THE EGO TWIST IS A GAME CHANGER - YouTube Grimm Green Twist Game changer

And yes, there are now alternatives that are arguably better, like the Vision Spinner and kGo VV, although I like the Twist just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread