Terrible threading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacSabbath

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Scotland
I bought a Vamo V5 only 13 days ago and it has already become useless due to the poor threading. I really liked it up until today when the threading became completely stripped. I guess the metal they've used for it is very soft compared to boge cartomizers metal threading.

Up until I purchased the Vamo I was only using Ego twists and vision spinners. I've never had an issue with threading before and I've been vaping over a year.

I never even considered threading before or stripping the threading because it was never an issue. (I am not a fanboy or cheerleader of ego twists BTW, which is why I bought the Vamo in the first place). I used hundreds of cartomizers on my twists and carried them in all sorts of situations for months until the batteries in them gave out.

One of the reasons I purchased the Vamo is because I thought it would last longer and be more robust than an ego twist.

I never dropped the Vamo. I don't screw in the cartomizers excessively tight or without care.

Simply keeping the Vamo in your pocket is enough for the cartomizer metal to wiggle ever so slightly against the threading and eventually strip away the soft metal in the Vamo head.

I've actually been more careful with my Vamo than my ego twists, which I would put heavy 6ml glass tanks on, keep in my pockets, toss around etc. Not a single issue with threading ever.

The threading in the Vamo is definitely a huge disappointment and will not last you long at all if it's a daily carry for you. I'm looking for a replacement mod now.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thread "Strength" is basically a factor of Three Components.

Type of Material used. And the Percentage of Thread Height. Number of Turns of the Thread.

You can have a Very Hard /Strong Material like Stainless Steel but if you only Cut 50% of the Thread Height, your not going to have a very good Thread.

Conversely, if you have a Soft Material like Aluminum or Brass but us a Full Thread Height like 88%, you can up with a Strong Thread.

Unfortunately, Many OEM's are more concerned with Cranking out a Thousands of Units a Day to meet demand. And doing it for Pennies to keep the cost Dirt Cheap.

When this happens, Quality Suffers.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
My V3 made it two months before the threads finally gave out, and I've spent more than half my life taking things apart and putting them back together for a living, so I'm no amateur when it comes to threaded fasteners and connections.

I was a little disappointed, because I really like my Vamo otherwise.

I ended up buying a replacement top cap.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
Contact the business you purchased it from and see what they will do for you.
Saw this on one vendors site so you know there is a problem with the threading
"We have become aware that some users have damaged the center post and / or the atomizer threads on their device by screwing in certain cartomizers or tank devices that have an elongated thread. The Vivi Nova (manufacturer unknown) has been specifically identified.

Please be gentle when screwing down any atomizing device on your APV. Do not over-tighten or force them on. As an added precaution, we recommend using a 510 to 510 extension or a 510 to EGO adapter. This will help protect the threads and center post. It is much cheaper to replace an adapter than an APV.

Be advised that we can not provide any warranty because of thread or center post damage."

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Contact the business you purchased it from and see what they will do for you.
Saw this on one vendors site so you know there is a problem with the threading
"We have become aware that some users have damaged the center post and / or the atomizer threads on their device by screwing in certain cartomizers or tank devices that have an elongated thread. The Vivi Nova (manufacturer unknown) has been specifically identified.

Please be gentle when screwing down any atomizing device on your APV. Do not over-tighten or force them on. As an added precaution, we recommend using a 510 to 510 extension or a 510 to EGO adapter. This will help protect the threads and center post. It is much cheaper to replace an adapter than an APV.

Be advised that we can not provide any warranty because of thread or center post damage."

I thought about that, but I bought it from FastTech, so it was worth spending the $6 on the replacement top cap just to avoid the hassle of negotiating a return with them.

(And quite frankly, that blurb about being gentle is kinda ridiculous, I have several devices in rotation and the Vamo was the only one that had thread issues, and they were a little iffy from day one.)

rotku

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2012
columbus, oh
Use a 510 to 510 adapter or an air control ring that you leave on the Vamo permanently. If you search around a bit you'll find that the soft threads are common knowledge. Knowing that I planned accordingly. I also don't put my Vamo in my pocket because it's huge. lol...

I have 2 of the Vamo V2. I placed the 510 to 510 shorty adapters on immediately. I have not had a threading problem. Plus the 510 connection on my V2's were seated low to begin with. All problems solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread