temp control or not? That is the question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I only have one mod that offers TC. I tried a few TC builds when I first got it, but it didn't really do much for me. I don't use TC primarily because I like to use the same atomizers on mechanical mods, non-TC regulated mods, and my one TC-capable mod, so it's Kanthal only builds for me.

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
Yeah I'm spoiled on TC. I run ti. @480 F.
I just enjoy being able to customize what my vape feels like through the whole pull...plus No more dry hits. I agree that there's a learning curve associated with it but IMO it's worth it,
See, I like cool hits. And if it helps with dry hits, I'm all for it, but I'm still learning a lot and I'm frustrated that I haven't mastered everything yet!

Reactions: Foggy Road

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
I only have one mod that offers TC. I tried a few TC builds when I first got it, but it didn't really do much for me. I don't use TC primarily because I like to use the same atomizers on mechanical mods, non-TC regulated mods, and my one TC-capable mod, so it's Kanthal only builds for me.
I'm still a total newbie when it comes to mods. Do you not use the TC because it affects Kanthal builds? I feel really dumb asking, but that's how I'll learn! :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Never tried TC tho I've won 3 mods with it. Traded the first for a bucketload of ProTanks. Sold the 2nd and invested the money in DIY. 3rd is sitting here collecting dust. Guess I'm kinda not very interested in TC.;) I will always treasure my 1st win tho, e-Huge 26650 VV/VW mod 5-15 watts 3-6 volts. Even came with an adapter to charge or power other electronics from the mod. Perfect!

Last edited:
Have you tried using SS coils or building with SS. I seem to switch off between power and TC (probably cause I am so picky when it comes to vaping. Depends on my mood) But SS coils seem to be working FANTASTIC for both.

Using Joyetech Cuboid and Cubis .5ohm coils

Never tried TC tho I've won 3 mods with it. Traded the first for a bucketload of ProTanks. Sold the 2nd and invested the money in DIY. 3rd is sitting here collecting dust. Guess I'm kinda not very interested in TC.;) I will always treasure my 1st win tho, e-Huge 26650 VV/VW mod 5-15 watts 3-6 volts. Even came with an adapter to charge or power other electronics from the mod. Perfect!
Any reason for not trying TC?

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I'm still a total newbie when it comes to mods. Do you not use the TC because it affects Kanthal builds? I feel really dumb asking, but that's how I'll learn! :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Have you tried using SS coils or building with SS. I seem to switch off between power and TC (probably cause I am so picky when it comes to vaping. Depends on my mood) But SS coils seem to be working FANTASTIC for both.

I only have one-TC capable device, so if I build a TC build I can only use it on that one device (which is not an everyday carry device for me). I primarily use mechanical mods with 18350 batteries or a Provari Mini. For safety reasons, I will not put a build that measures less than 1 ohm on a mechanical mod with an 18350 battery (based on the old AW 18350s that only had a 6A continuous discharge, although the new ones do have a 12A continuous discharge). The Provari will not fire anything that is less than 1 ohm (sometimes it will fire a 1 ohm coil and sometimes it will not). Nickel and SS builds are typically much lower than 1 ohm, so I can't use them on these mods. I typically build 1.2ohm Kanthal builds that I can use on any device - that's what I meant when I said "so it's Kanthal only builds for me". I have not yet tried SS coils.

As an example, I preordered the new Wismec Notch Coils (they are SS). They measure out at about .24ohms. I will only be able to use these on one device (the resistance is too low to safely use on a mechanical mod with an 18350 battery, even with the new 12A AW 18350s) and the Provari will not fire an atomizer with that low of a resistance.

I guess things would be simpler if I was a sub-ohm vaper who used 30A 18650 batteries in mechanical mods who didn't care for the Provari, but I'm not.

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
I only have one-TC capable device, so if I build a TC build I can only use it on that one device (which is not an everyday carry device for me). I primarily use mechanical mods with 18350 batteries or a Provari Mini. For safety reasons, I will not put a build that measures less than 1 ohm on a mechanical mod with an 18350 battery (based on the old AW 18350s that only had a 6A continuous discharge, although the new ones do have a 12A continuous discharge). The Provari will not fire anything that is less than 1 ohm (sometimes it will fire a 1 ohm coil and sometimes it will not). Nickel and SS builds are typically much lower than 1 ohm, so I can't use them on these mods. I typically build 1.2ohm Kanthal builds that I can use on any device - that's what I meant when I said "so it's Kanthal only builds for me". I have not yet tried SS coils.

As an example, I preordered the new Wismec Notch Coils (they are SS). They measure out at about .24ohms. I will only be able to use these on one device (the resistance is too low to safely use on a mechanical mod with an 18350 battery, even with the new 12A AW 18350s) and the Provari will not fire an atomizer with that low of a resistance.

I guess things would be simpler if I was a sub-ohm vaper who used 30A 18650 batteries in mechanical mods who didn't care for the Provari, but I'm not.
Thank you sooooooo much for explaining this to me. It makes a lot of sense now. I had a little bit of understanding of resistance, but this helps a ton. Why do you prefer the Provari? I've only used the Vogue right now because it's straightforward, but I need to branch out so I can know about all things vape! :wub::wub::wub:

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Thank you sooooooo much for explaining this to me. It makes a lot of sense now. I had a little bit of understanding of resistance, but this helps a ton. Why do you prefer the Provari? I've only used the Vogue right now because it's straightforward, but I need to branch out so I can know about all things vape! :wub::wub::wub:

My first APV was a Provari v2 that I purchased used on Craig's List. At the time, it was the best, most accurate, and most durable VV device on the market. Times have changed and Provape hasn't kept up with the times, but it's still a great device. It has a 12.5A limit and doesn't fire coils under 1 ohm, so it's no longer a mainstream device and is not usable by many who like high wattage vaping (not me).

I hardly use my Provari v2 any more - it takes 18500 or 18650 batteries and is too tall for my liking. It also has a slanted top cap that looks great with 16mm atomizers, but not 22mm atomizers. People make rings that one can use to get rid of the slanted top cap, but unless your atomizer has an adjustable 510 pin, it's extremely unlikely that it will sit flush. That being said, I recently got a few Provari Minis with flat P3 top caps (blemished models priced at $50 - fantastic deals) - they are the perfect size with 18350 batteries and they have a flat top cap that IMO looks great with any atomizer.

I don't know that I would necessarily recommend a Provari to you given all of the other great choices that are available, but if you want to know about all things vape it's definitely worthwhile learning about the Provari as it holds a firm place in the history of our industry..

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVapentine

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Any reason for not trying TC?
Well, I'm totally thrilled with the vape I'm getting now. I really enjoy exploring old dead threads about my "ancient" gear and finding ways to improve or modify what I've got. Finding some nearly lost and forgotten ideas for wicking material a couple weeks ago was exciting to me. I've found plans for making a simple Evod tank into a cloud chucker but still lack some parts. Last week the owner of my favorite B&M GAVE me 2 brand new RTAs stating that he'll never be able to sell these relics. Think yer B&M will ever hand you a free Cieto or Aromathingy?
But basically following the masses literally makes as much sense to me as trying a new wife, cuz everyone says she's fantastic, after the investing decades into perfecting the one I've got. :lol:

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
My first APV was a Provari v2 that I purchased used on Craig's List. At the time, it was the best, most accurate, and most durable VV device on the market. Times have changed and Provape hasn't kept up with the times, but it's still a great device. It has a 12.5A limit and doesn't fire coils under 1 ohm, so it's no longer a mainstream device and is not usable by many who like high wattage vaping (not me).

I hardly use my Provari v2 any more - it takes 18500 or 18650 batteries and is too tall for my liking. It also has a slanted top cap that looks great with 16mm atomizers, but not 22mm atomizers. People make rings that one can use to get rid of the slanted top cap, but unless your atomizer has an adjustable 510 pin, it's extremely likely that it will sit flush. That being said, I recently got a few Provari Minis with flat P3 top caps (blemished models priced at $50 - fantastic deals) - they are the perfect size with 18350 batteries and they have a flat top cap that IMO looks great with any atomizer.

I don't know that I would necessarily recommend a Provari to you given all of the other great choices that are available, but if you want to know about all things vape it's definitely worthwhile learning about the Provari as it holds a firm place in the history of our industry..
Yeah, I've heard a lot about the Provari. This is the challenge I'm having because I came in about six months ago as a smoker and then I fell in love with vaping, but my personal preference has always been something easy to use. That being said, I want to learn everything I can learn about past and present devices, and there's just SO MUCH to learn. Which is a good thing, but I have a hard time being patient with myself. Thanks for helping me learn more. The Provari sounds less complicated than some of the newer devices out there. I want to get to the point where I'm like rebuilding and stuff, but I gotta take baby steps!

LadyVapentine

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2015
Sweet Home Chicago
www.vapor4life.com
Well, I'm totally thrilled with the vape I'm getting now. I really enjoy exploring old dead threads about my "ancient" gear and finding ways to improve or modify what I've got. Finding some nearly lost and forgotten ideas for wicking material a couple weeks ago was exciting to me. I've found plans for making a simple Evod tank into a cloud chucker but still lack some parts. Last week the owner of my favorite B&M GAVE me 2 brand new RTAs stating that he'll never be able to sell these relics. Think yer B&M will ever hand you a free Cieto or Aromathingy?
But basically following the masses literally makes as much sense to me as trying a new wife, cuz everyone says she's fantastic, after the investing decades into perfecting the one I've got. :lol:
I totally get that, if it's not broke, don't fix it. It's really cool that your B&M hooked you up. I gotta really hand it to local B&Ms. Out here near Chicago, they are getting hit with the taxes and it's a shame because it's always the little guy. I feel your pain. Also, it took me a minute, but I just got your joke about "perfecting the one I've got." The feminist in me is like :evil::evil:, but the real Lady Vapentine thinks it's hilarious! :thumb::thumb::lol::lol:

And that right there is something I love to hear. The "ancient relics" that were the best then are in fact still the best now. If you like the way you vape and, its working for you, why change it?
Personally I have to have the newest thing (phone, computer parts, smart watch, gaming console, etc.) It really makes me happy when I see someone coming out with that "Latest and greatest" device. I have only been using TC for about a month now and the biggest benefit that I get is: lack of dry hits. I vape constantly and when I vape I inhale vapor like the air i breathe. So TC works really well for me. But as i said earlier. Your preference is working and, its working great! That's what counts!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
"Back in the day" we had cigalikes or "mods". Mods came from other things that were modified to become vaping apparatus, flashlights, cigar tubes, pieces of pipe from the hardware store, whatever was handy, to use a larger battery for longer life. That was the goal back then, something that would last more than 20min.
Then came the VV mods, first with a variable resistance that was adjusted with a knob or a screw driver. Then came the Provari, which changed everything, everyone had known or seen. Rugged, an LED, multi function screen, it couldn't get any better! Then came the Evic, and it had VW! Yeah, the world was turned on it's ear, VW was so much better according to many. So we had the VV and VW wars and Provari got trashed for now having VW! So we got the third gen Provari, but as noted above, it was too little, too late. Once it finally came out sub-ohm was the craze and it just couldn't compete in that arena.
Now we have VT and it's got to be so much better, right? I don't buy it, it's all a factor of watts, ohm's and amp's at the end of the day. Also how long are you going to draw on this "magical device"? 2-5 seconds? That would take some seriously fast software to be able to control the PID and adjust the temp that quickly. We are talking reading the temp, adjusting the amperage, reading the temp, adjusting the amperage 30-100 times per second, at least, for it to maintain a meaningful use. I got into smoking meat last summer and learned a lot about PID controllers and the related software, they typically only cycle every 5-7 seconds, if that fast.
So, in a nutshell, it's all the same result, with a different way to get there. VV, VW and VT, all use the same math, no way to beat Ohm's law, no matter what they may try to tell you, or sell you!

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
See, I like cool hits. And if it helps with dry hits, I'm all for it, but I'm still learning a lot and I'm frustrated that I haven't mastered everything yet!

You can get good cool vapor using one ohm or over coils. Also, if you're using an rda you can adjust air flow, which helps to cool vapor down. Well at least with most rdas I see doing my window shopping. The RSST I use has a 2mm air hole. I put the cap on so that the air hole lines up straight with the coil. For me it is like inhaling when I take a drag off of it. My coil is reading out at 1.4 ohms. Coils fluctuate a bit during use. I had not set out to make a 1.25 ohm coil. Just wrapped a 3mm inner diameter one, put it in the baggy. Pulled it out and put it on the RSST, saw what it read and knew I was in the safe zone. It is still a good and safe coil having read at 1.5 earlier. I don't expect there's any shorts, or hot areas. The coil just expanded and contracted from heat / use.

Saw one of these looking at a vendor site. Not keen for the tubes any more myself. But it does look like a fine mod. :) If protection from dry hits is all TC offers, it doesn't seem worth it to me. I'll go find a new squonk kit soon enough and not worry over dry hits. Once you get used to it, you can taste "Ah, next one I need to squonk for." Then, you keep wet wick and coil. :)

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
LadyV; if you like the cool vape, as do I, the RSST, or my favorite, the Kayfun/Russian tanks are a very nice way to go. I build a 1.4-1.8 ohm coil on my Kayfun clones and use them on mechs and VV/Vw's, on VW I run around 11 watts or around 4 volts on VV.
It's a tight draw, much like a cartomizer, that I like, and is nice and cool. I've not had much luck building an RSST that travels well, but once you get the Kayfun down, it's nearly indestructible, and has great flavor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread