Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Check out the stupidity, intolerance and priorities of tobacco controllers
The Future of Tobacco Control | Altarum Institute

I'm surprised they didn't delete my comments. Excerpts of survey findings below.

Question 2: What challenges remain in the effort to reduce tobacco use and tobacco-related deaths?
  • The top response was the challenge of e-cigarettes and other emerging products and their widespread marketing.
  • Next was protecting disparate populations, including behavioral and mental health patients, poor people, and the LGBT community.
Question 3: What are the gaps in U.S. tobacco control strategies, policies, and activities? What issues are not being addressed fully?
  • The top response, by far, was that all tobacco products are not currently included in tobacco control laws, policies, and regulations. Food and Drug Administration regulation must extend to all products, including vape devices and liquids, cigars, flavors like menthol, hookahs, and other emerging products.
Question 4: What future tobacco control strategies do you believe have potential?
  • Several responses received an equal number of votes, including an increase in the nationwide legal age to purchase tobacco to 21, smoke-free multiunit housing, support for behavioral health facilities in tobacco cessation and smoke-free policies, and point-of-sale policies such as displaying bans or penalties for violators and sales in adult-only venues.
Question 5: What should future tobacco control strategies incorporate or consider?
  • The top response was to increase tobacco cessation services, including a greater role for health care providers, reimbursement for tobacco treatment, cessation training for all health care specialties, use of electronic health records, and insurance coverage.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Question 5: What should future tobacco control strategies incorporate or consider?
  • The top response was to increase tobacco cessation services, including a greater role for health care providers, reimbursement for tobacco treatment, cessation training for all health care specialties, use of electronic health records, and insurance coverage.

Which they now can enforce more easily through Obamacare.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
When reading the comments section it's plain to see that you step into the TC universe where everything they say to each other makes perfect sense to one another and is good and right and makes the world a better place. They're all patting each other on the back.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

I'm surprised they didn't delete my comments. Excerpts of survey findings below.

Question 2: What challenges remain in the effort to reduce tobacco use and tobacco-related deaths?
  • The top response was the challenge of e-cigarettes and other emerging products and their widespread marketing.
  • Next was protecting disparate populations, including behavioral and mental health patients, poor people, and the LGBT community.
Question 3: What are the gaps in U.S. tobacco control strategies, policies, and activities? What issues are not being addressed fully?
  • The top response, by far, was that all tobacco products are not currently included in tobacco control laws, policies, and regulations. Food and Drug Administration regulation must extend to all products, including vape devices and liquids, cigars, flavors like menthol, hookahs, and other emerging products.
Question 4: What future tobacco control strategies do you believe have potential?
  • Several responses received an equal number of votes, including an increase in the nationwide legal age to purchase tobacco to 21, smoke-free multiunit housing, support for behavioral health facilities in tobacco cessation and smoke-free policies, and point-of-sale policies such as displaying bans or penalties for violators and sales in adult-only venues.
Bill, educate us if you can. A few days ago I asked myself, what exactly is tobacco control? Is there a building where I can walk down a hallway and find a sign that says "Tobacco Control"? Will the door be locked? Who will be in there? What will they be doing? Who pays them, and why? The lesson I've learned from vaping is the only reason to have tobacco control is to make sure all the taxes get paid. If it weren't for that there would be no tobacco control.

Why would I pay any attention to a bunch of tax collectors who are upset about competition hurting their drug business? What's painfully obvaious is they don't give a rat's behind about my health. I must forgive them for that because I feel the same about them.

P.S. Tomorrow or the next day I will have NOT spent $4,000 on cigarettes. That's what I call tobacco control. What e-cigs are at the end of the day is the most effective tobacco control yet devised.

Last edited:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Tomorrow or the next day I will have NOT spent $4,000 on cigarettes. That's what I call tobacco control.
    I must say I whole-heartedly agree with that statement. I'm a few days short of a year and half, so far I haven't spent more than $2500 on cigarettes, and I've spent less than $500 on vaping hardware and supplies.

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    Bill, educate us if you can. A few days ago I asked myself, what exactly is tobacco control? Is there a building where I can walk down a hallway and find a sign that says "Tobacco Control"? Will the door be locked? Who will be in there? What will they be doing? Who pays them, and why? The lesson I've learned from vaping is the only reason to have tobacco control is to make sure all the taxes get paid. If it weren't for that there would be no tobacco control.

Why would I pay any attention to a bunch of tax collectors who are upset about competition hurting their drug business? What's painfully obvaious is they don't give a rat's behind about my health. I must forgive them for that because I feel the same about them.

P.S. Tomorrow or the next day I will have NOT spent $4,000 on cigarettes. That's what I call tobacco control. What e-cigs are at the end of the day is the most effective tobacco control yet devised.
    Tobacco control, often referred to by THR advocates as the tobacco control industry, is an actual place you can walk into, though it is actually many places. To name a few, the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association, The American Heart Association, Tobacco Free Kids, The CDC, The FDA, university research groups who are living off of grants largely from the government and big pharme, hence the large number of junk science studies we see, lots of local and state anti-tobacco groups getting funds from front organizations for Big Pharma and state and federal government, etc.

Taxes (and the MSA payments) are one of the reasons for the tobacco control industry, but it would be simplistic to assume it is the only reason, or even the main one. A lot of people are making a good living off of tobacco control. There are millions of dollars flowing into the industry and it is a feeding troff for many people who's livelihoods depend on the continuation of the industry, which depends on the continuation of the status quo.

The biggest threat to the tobacco control industry is the concept of tobacco harm reduction (THR). If the general public where truthfully informed that there are ways of using tobacco and nicotine that are several orders of magnitude (about 100 times) less harmful then smoking (not an exaggerated number), and they didn't have to actually quit, but simply switch to low risk alternatives as in smokeless tobacco and e-cigs, the tobacco control industry would be destroyed. Their reason for being there would no longer be relevant. The whole quit or die, abstinence only approach to tobacco would be moot. The industry is fighting for it life (actually it's livelihood). It is getting rather desperate for them, but they may yet win.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    Tobacco control, often referred to by THR advocates as the tobacco control industry, is an actual place you can walk into, though it is actually many places. To name a few, the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association, The American Heart Association, Tobacco Free Kids, The CDC, The FDA, university research groups who are living off of grants largely from the government and big pharme, hence the large number of junk science studies we see, lots of local and state anti-tobacco groups getting funds from front organizations for Big Pharma and state and federal government, etc.

Taxes (and the MSA payments) are one of the reasons for the tobacco control industry, but it would be simplistic to assume it is the only reason, or even the main one. A lot of people are making a good living off of tobacco control. There are millions of dollars flowing into the industry and it is a feeding troff for many people who's livelihoods depend on the continuation of the industry, which depends on the continuation of the status quo.

The biggest threat to the tobacco control industry is the concept of tobacco harm reduction (THR). If the general public where truthfully informed that there are ways of using tobacco and nicotine that are several orders of magnitude (about 100 times) less harmful then smoking (not an exaggerated number), and they didn't have to actually quit, but simply switch to low risk alternatives as in smokeless tobacco and e-cigs, the tobacco control industry would be destroyed. Their reason for being there would no longer be relevant. The whole quit or die, abstinence only approach to tobacco would be moot. The industry is fighting for it life (actually it's livelihood). It is getting rather desperate for them, but they may yet win.
    The groups you mention are public relations departments. They have no statutory authority. So in a way there's no such thing as tobacco control, they appointed themselves. Well then I appoint myself. We're all tobacco control. I better go talk to my staff now and give em some marching orders. Oops, I don't have any stsff. I better do something about that. Are there any government grants available? If I have a government grant can I vape for free? Oops, it's already so cheap it's free.

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    The groups you mention are public relations departments. They have no statutory authority. So in a way there's no such thing as tobacco control, they appointed themselves. Well then I appoint myself. We're all tobacco control. I better go talk to my staff now and give em some marching orders. Oops, I don't have any stsff. I better do something about that. Are there any government grants available? If I have a government grant can I vape for free? Oops, it's already so cheap it's free.
    I am not sure what your point is, or if you have one.

They don't have statutory authority, but all the groups mentioned have the ear of the politicians in their pocket that they have developed over decades. They also have lots of money to throw around. You are living in a fantasy land if you think the tobacco control industry doesn't actually exist and they are not actively working against THR.

Reactions: catlady60

Steamix

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vapistan
    Vaping is just too damn efficient in their eyes.
    Juice up, take a puff and smoking tobacco is no longer a necessity.
    Feel free to light up. Or not. Entirely up to you now.

No need for expensive counseling, next-to-useless gadgetrs from BP.

That why it says tobacco control, not tobacco eradication.
    Don't expect these hypocrites to pull the rug from under their own feet, do you now ?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    I am not sure what your point is, or if you have one.

They don't have statutory authority, but all the groups mentioned have the ear of the politicians in their pocket that they have developed over decades. They also have lots of money to throw around. You are living in a fantasy land if you think the tobacco control industry doesn't actually exist and they are not actively working against THR.
    The "tobacco control industry" as Bill describes it is an industry, no doubt, and influential for sure, but they control nothing. They are in business to get money from the government in return for mostly nothing that benefits no one but themselves. When tobacco taxes are gone they will be gone. Getting rid of them might be better than getting rid of tobacco.

Nobody cared about my health when I was smoking except for me. Now I vape and there is interest in my health? Back to the point, it's tobacco control in name only. It should be named something else. I'm going to think about that.

DrMA

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 26, 2013
    Seattle area

Disgusting. The only future tobacco ConTrol has is a 6x8 cell. We'll put all these quacks in lockup for their crimes against humanity.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread