Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Jeeze, don't giv'em any ideas....shhhhhuuuuuu!

Too late. Dr's are already doing that. Case in point, my sister smoked for maybe a year, 40years ago. Drs. are still trying to blame whatever ails her on that little bit of smoking. They are nuts already.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I imagine that someday, a study will prove that if you have a disease, and you've ever heard of anyone smoking, that smoking was the cause of the disease.

Funny, as I was reading your comment, nightly news came on with their coverage of the SG report. 13 cancers and every organ of the body has disease caused by smoking. Of course Sebilius used tobacco, rather than smoking, as the culprit and the Acting SG (emphasis on acting) Boris Lushniak upped the annual death count to nearly 500k (whatever happened to the 666 squared count). Smoking less now but the deaths keep growing as soon all deaths will be attributed to smoking.

Also stated was the fact that smoking among teens is growing. I'd swear that they were bragging about how youth smoking was decreasing only a short time ago. Unbelievable

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Funny, as I was reading your comment, nightly news came on with their coverage of the SG report. 13 cancers and every organ of the body has disease caused by smoking. Of course Sebilius used tobacco, rather than smoking, as the culprit and the Acting SG (emphasis on acting) Boris Lushniak upped the annual death count to nearly 500k (whatever happened to the 666 squared count). Smoking less now but the deaths keep growing as soon all deaths will be attributed to smoking.

Also stated was the fact that smoking among teens is growing. I'd swear that they were bragging about how youth smoking was decreasing only a short time ago. Unbelievable

drug,alcohol,and smoking rates amung teens are at historic lows.
bottomed out about 6-7 years ago.
this drives the antz crazy as it might shake loose some of there funding.
yep its the allmighty dollar that drives them nuts.

regards
mike

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

Unless they have some new government agency keeping statistics on smoking, smoking among teens is NOT growing.

Latest figures from the CDC (which were not once mentioned in a CDC Press release) Tobacco Product Use Among Middle and High School Students — United States, 2011 and 2012

Scroll down to the table and read the entries for Cigarettes under Middle School for 2011 and 2012 (4.3% and 3.5%) and under High School (15.8% and 14.0%) The numbers for 2012 are lower in both cases, no?

Results from the 2012 National Survey on Drug Use and Health from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (another arm of Health and Human Services).
Results from the 2012 NSDUH: Summary of National Findings, SAMHSA, CBHSQ

That shows the stats for 10 years, and the trends are definitely downward.

In fact, initiation rates are down as well:

Results from the 2012 NSDUH: Summary of National Findings, SAMHSA, CBHSQ

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Isn't it true that the numbers can be up while the rates are down.

That's how the 'unemployment rates' are figured. More people out of work than ever before - unemployment rates dropping.

It's a bit different in that it isn't a 'per capita' rate but based only on those still looking.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
I believe that's only possible if the denominator is increasing. Is the population of youth ages 12-18 growing?

I think that demographic is growing but don't remember where I saw it. I am sure it would only be because immigrants still have a lot of kids. I did a quick search on the net but didn't find an answer so I wouldn't call it a fact.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
drug,alcohol,and smoking rates amung teens are at historic lows.
bottomed out about 6-7 years ago.
this drives the antz crazy as it might shake loose some of there funding.
yep its the allmighty dollar that drives them nuts.

regards
mike

That's not what the acting SG said. He claimed that teen smoking has increased. I think you hear it either way. When they're looking for funding, it's increasing. When they're talking about how good they're doing it's decreasing. The SG was looking for more funding.

Correction, it was Tom Costello of NBC News that said teen smoking rates were oin the rise-

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/war-smoking-more-diseases-linked-cigarettes-2D11944421

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Wait a minute. Where did the 18% figure come from?

I did a Google search on "adult smoking prevalence."

The first match leads to a CDC document and gives us a 19% figure.

Jun 5, 2013 - An estimated 43.8 million people, or 19.0% of all adults (aged 18 years or ... By state, in 2010, smoking prevalence ranged from 9.1% in Utah to ...

The next match, dated less than 2 weeks later, says the number is 18%.

Jun 18, 2013 - 18 percent of adults say they are current smokers, down from about 20 percent for the past seven years.

But the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (SAMHSA) 2012 report suggests the rates are a bit higher:

The percentage of past month cigarette smoking was 1.2 percent among 12 or 13 year olds, 4.6 percent among 14 or 15 year olds, 13.6 percent among 16 or 17 year olds, 28.2 percent among 18 to 20 year olds, 34.1 percent among 21 to 25 year olds, 33.4 percent among 26 to 29 year olds, 31.9 percent among 30 to 34 year olds, 26.7 percent among 35 to 39 year olds, 24.3 percent among 40 to 44 year olds, 26.0 percent among 45 to 49 year olds, 24.5 percent among 50 to 54 year olds, 21.5 percent among 55 to 59 year olds, 16.9 percent among 60 to 64 year olds, and 10.0 percent among persons aged 65 or older.
Alt Tags: Results from the 2012 NSDUH: Summary of National Findings, SAMHSA, CBHSQ

I have yet to track down a government document that specifies 18%. I only see it in news reports. Anyone know?

The good news is that SAMHSA reports that teen smoking is way down and continues to decline. Results from the 2012 NSDUH: Summary of National Findings, SAMHSA, CBHSQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread