Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I'm not so impressed. A lot of contradictions in the story that I think is most likely due to their fudged statistics on 'smoking related deaths' that they have to pump up in order to sell the 'don't smoke' campaign.

"Frieden says smoking is more lethal than it used to be. "Even though the Americans who smoke are smoking fewer cigarettes, the risk of dying among smokers is increasing," he notes, quoting the new report."

...and:

"However, the pattern of changes in risk and death rates in other diseases caused by smoking make it difficult to sort out what specific aspects of smoking are most responsible for increased risk of dying prematurely due to smoking," CDC spokesman Joel London writes in an email.

Unless there has been some change in making cigarettes - it's possible - but if this is the case it is something that would be known, as closely regulated BT is - there should be some data that confirms this contradiction.

Perhaps it's just the 'added stress' of anti-smoking campaigns that turn regular people into leper-like creatures in the eyes of non-smokers, stress being an acknowledged factor in many diseases/illnesses.

Stress, such as:

""If we don't act now," Frieden says, "5.6 million of our children will be killed by tobacco," based on current rates of smoking among adolescents and young adults. And 3 1/2 million children in middle and high school now smoke, according to the new report; 3,200 youths start smoking every day."

There is also the fact that they tend to widen the number of diseases that are 'smoking related' - again, in order to sell the program - diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and others have added in order to increase the 'fear factor', imo. There are Swiss studies that show nicotine has a positive effect on Rh. arthritis - in fact, as unpleasant as it was for the scientists to report - the heavier the smoker, the better the results on Rh. arthritis.

And while some may look at this statement as a 'positive', I don't. I've seen this type of wording many times with other activities and the end result has almost always been some type of regulation.

"The CDC's Frieden, for one, is a skeptic. "It might be possible that things like e-cigarettes in the future will have a positive role," he says. "As they're being rolled out now, I have grave concerns that they're doing more harm than good.""

The 'as they're being rolled out now' only means that "we should control how they are 'rolled out'".

edit... lol didn't see this new post:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-diseases-linked-cigarettes.html#post11904271

... but it confirms what I say above... I was going to include 'impotence' - that and 'brain cancer' are widely used as 'fear factors' for activities ranging from 'too much time playing video games' to skateboarding :)

Last edited:

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
There wasn't a transcript this morning when I posted the link, only a link to the audio. I will read through the article later when I have more time, and see if I get a different feeling from it. When we hear things, it's difficult to get the true feeling, because we often forget what we heard in the beginning. When we can actually read it, I think we get a different perspective.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Surgeon General Urges New Resolve to End Smoking - ABC News

Basically it says "Give us mo money".

Of course it portrays smoking as the source of all evil from cancer, heart disease, stroke, and SIDS down to shaving cuts and stubbing your toe - all tobacco related.

Oh and they throw ecigs in there just for good measure.

What a load of crock! Nobody acknowledged that current tobacco control measures appear to have lost their effectiveness decades ago and that new approaches are needed to address their own stated goal of reducing smoking. Instead they say more of the same should be pursued with renewed conviction.
"Only a recommitment to a heightened level of action will enable us to finish the job," Wimmer said.

In the same spirit, ecigs are portrayed as the newest contraption invented by BT to recruit more kids into their deadly business:
CDC's Frieden urged caution as the industry comes up with various new products given the known dangers about tobacco.

"If we're talking about tobacco products ... they are guilty until proven innocent, not the other way around,"

BT naturally embraced the opportunity to take over the entire ecig industry
Altria said in a statement that it supports the FDA's authority to regulate e-cigarettes as an extension of its power to regulate tobacco.

"Our tobacco companies continue to focus on developing lower-risk products that appeal to adult tobacco consumers and see this as an important business opportunity under FDA regulation,"

[/rant]

If you want to know the truth, read this instead: Blowing Smoke About Tobacco-Related Deaths | Cato Institute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread