Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrawr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Colorado, USA
Hey guys, happy Sunday!

I decided that I want to become a supporting member today. However, when I go to make my contribution, I notice that the only available payment option is paypal. I am wondering if there is any other way to make a payment. I have made it this far without directly supporting paypal, and I have never had an account. Nor do I want one. That said, it's no big deal (or great evil :p), and I can create an account if necessary. Just thought I would ask, as my preference would be to pay in some other way, and I have noticed a lot of other members asking about payment options in the supporting members thread. Thanks for your help, and thanks for all you do!

-Tyler

spaky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
Making cement boots
From the Forum manager:
ECF isn't a commercial operation that needs a merchant account (credit card processing facility). The cost of that would equal several Subscriptions so we don't do it.

Every time another alt Paypal system comes online that looks viable, we try it out. For example Moneybookers, which we implemented for a while. Unfortunately it turned out to generate more complaints than it was worth.

If we get a CC account then we'll have to start selling stuff. Maybe that will come around.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-supporting-member-question.html#post12057796

Tyrawr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Colorado, USA
Thanks for the link, I have trouble with finding relevant posts using the search function sometimes :facepalm:

The questions in that thread went pretty unanimously unanswered, though it seems that the only option is still paypal?
There are no other options, such as : one time payment with a credit card/CC through paypal, google wallet, Check/Cash/Wire/etc.?
I am certainly not trying to be difficult, and I understand the reasoning posted. Just making sure I have that correct, as I really, really don't want a paypal account and I really, really want to give you money.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Thanks for the link, I have trouble with finding relevant posts using the search function sometimes :facepalm:

The questions in that thread went pretty unanimously unanswered, though it seems that the only option is still paypal?
There are no other options, such as : one time payment with a credit card/CC through paypal, google wallet, Check/Cash/Wire/etc.?
I am certainly not trying to be difficult, and I understand the reasoning posted. Just making sure I have that correct, as I really, really don't want a paypal account and I really, really want to give you money.

I feel the same way as you. Luckily my hubby has a paypal account so I talked him into letting me use his.
Also, try using Google to search for things in ECF. If you type what you're looking for and add e-cigarette-forum, generally it brings up threads in the forum. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010

there should be no problem with this! true, it will set up a recurring payment once a year but you can cancel that as soon as your initial payment is made ;)
ecf will notify you once you get close to your expiration date

Tyrawr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Colorado, USA
Thanks guys! After all of that, I was unable to get on the computer for longer than a couple of minutes until now. Thanks for your time!

Sorry, but there is really, really no other option at this time. :)

As Rolygate said, we will give new options a try when we can though.

Okay :) I understand. Thanks for taking the time to give me a definitive answer.

I feel the same way as you. Luckily my hubby has a paypal account so I talked him into letting me use his. Also, try using Google to search for things in ECF. If you type what you're looking for and add e-cigarette-forum, generally it brings up threads in the forum. :)

Good ideas all around! I will work on finding a friend that is paypal equipped/friendly.
I typically use google for my searches with much better success. I must have gotten lazy in searching for this information. Thanks for the ideas.

there should be no problem with this! true, it will set up a recurring payment once a year but you can cancel that as soon as your initial payment is made ;)

Not a bad idea, but that's not what I am concerned with. I would love to contribute to ECF on a yearly basis. The problem I have is with paypal, and using this method, I would still have to create a paypal account, etc. I know it's not a huge deal, and I may end up going this route if I can't figure anything else out. Or I may not. It is, after all, a matter of principle (for me). Thanks for the idea though!

Hope you guys are having a fantastic first week of spring! Sorry for resurrecting a redundant thread. Just wanted to thank you!

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I agree that Paypal should be avoided on principal as they are enemies of vaping and have a terrible ethics record.

Unfortunately it seems that they are the only viable option for us. If anyone knows of a better system then please let us know - all the alternatives we've seen so far cost us money or are, ultimately, unworkable (like Moneybookers).

To use Paypal safely (in order to avoid them taking money from your account without your specific approval) then ideally you should create another bank or savings account and just keep a small amount in it. Then make that one the Paypal source account.

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
Unfortunately it seems that they are the only viable option for us. If anyone knows of a better system then please let us know - all the alternatives we've seen so far cost us money or are, ultimately, unworkable (like Moneybookers).

Dwolla ?

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA

The recurring charge is nice actually. I never thought about cancelling! I will continue to support $$ here with the yearly fee for as long as I am part of ECF

I probably missed it, the notification about being close to expiration date. I do remember getting an email from my daily charge alerts that the $$ recurring payment went through a few weeks ago.

I wonder why people have a problem with not wanting a PayPal account. I've been using PayPal for umpteen years with no problems. If it's the principle, that they don't like "ecig" use, I got over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread