Sudden Explosions (pops)

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
Lately I've been getting these sudden 'explosions' off my coil and it feels like a bomb going off in my mouth.

I know some people are alright with it, but I can't bear it. It makes me jump and is giving me really bad anxiety.

I've had it happen only occasionally before but this time I've noticed it coincides with me adding PG to my DIY liquid (which I haven't done in years).

I read somewhere it's because the juice is too thin and saturating the coil. Right now, I can't add any more VG because I'm out of nic shots and flavour essence to top it back up to the right levels.

In the meantime, is there anything I can do to stop it happening?

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2023
Lately I've been getting these sudden 'explosions' off my coil and it feels like a bomb going off in my mouth.

I know some people are alright with it, but I can't bear it. It makes me jump and is giving me really bad anxiety.

I've had it happen only occasionally before but this time I've noticed it coincides with me adding PG to my DIY liquid (which I haven't done in years).

I read somewhere it's because the juice is too thin and saturating the coil. Right now, I can't add any more VG because I'm out of nic shots and flavour essence to top it back up to the right levels.

In the meantime, is there anything I can do to stop it happening?
The only thing I know of is run a different temp. It just going to be what it is I suspect until you get some new juice in there

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I only get this with spaced coils, but not all the time. It goes away after a day or less. I heard that it happens when wick is a bit on the loose side, but I never tested it. So you could try rewicking with a little more wick material and see if that helps.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dan_V

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2015
    Flyover Central
    Another opinion - this might sound counter productive but bear with me.

I remember someone saying this was due to the juice boiling instead of going into a vapor. Think of a boiling pot of water with the bubbles rising to the surface and then exploding. I've occasionally run into this and raising the power seemed to help. The extra wattage pushes things above the boiling point straight into vaporization.

Might be worth a hit or two. It does take a few puffs to clear the excess liquid from the bubbles that burst, with the excess falling back onto the coil and wick.

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    I only get this with spaced coils, but not all the time. It goes away after a day or less. I heard that it happens when wick is a bit on the loose side, but I never tested it. So you could try rewicking with a little more wick material and see if that helps.
    I will try that. Thanks! (Y)

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    Another opinion - this might sound counter productive but bear with me.

I remember someone saying this was due to the juice boiling instead of going into a vapor. Think of a boiling pot of water with the bubbles rising to the surface and then exploding. I've occasionally run into this and raising the power seemed to help. The extra wattage pushes things above the boiling point straight into vaporization.

Might be worth a hit or two. It does take a few puffs to clear the excess liquid from the bubbles that burst, with the excess falling back onto the coil and wick.
    Interesting! Took me a while to find the optimum wattage for vaping this juice. But it's worth a try.
    Thanks! (Y)

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    Just did what you said, UncLeJunkLe. Pulled out the previous wick, heated up the coil and gave it a hard squeeze with my tweezers to push the wraps close as they'll go. Then rewicked - MUCH tighter this time...

It seems to have worked! :)

Interestingly, popping seemed to happen more with my hybrid/ mech tube, rather than the regulated box. I tried the hybrid as well, and it popped ONCE... but then seemed to settle down.

There's been a wee bit of popping since, but much less 'violent'. Next time I do a mix, I'll be going back to a thicker juice. Because I never really had that with my PG rich liquids.

Once again - thanks VERY much. (Y)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Just did what you said, UncLeJunkLe. Pulled out the previous wick, heated up the coil and gave it a hard squeeze with my tweezers to push the wraps close as they'll go. Then rewicked - MUCH tighter this time...

It seems to have worked! :)

I actually didnt mean to make the coil wraps tighter/closer, just a tighter wick inside the coil.
    But if it worked, that's all that matters.

Dan_V

Mar 14, 2024
    I actually didnt mean to make the coil wraps tighter/closer, just a tighter wick inside the coil.
    But if it worked, that's all that matters.
    Well, I thought - since I'm rewicking, I might as well go belt & braces. If it hadn't worked, I'd have had to tear out the cotton again to tweak the coil. I do like a spaced coil though.

It cured the problem pretty much instantly. That's what I love about this game - you never stop learning.

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Well, I thought - since I'm rewicking, I might as well go belt & braces. If it hadn't worked, I'd have had to tear out the cotton again to tweak the coil. I do like a spaced coil though.

It cured the problem pretty much instantly. That's what I love about this game - you never stop learning.

I prefer spaced coils, too. Next time, use spaced with more wick to see what happens. You changed 2 variables so you don't know what fixed your problem. Could have been both variables, though. Hard to say.

Last edited:

bombastinator2

ECF Veteran
    Apr 15, 2023
    I prefer spaced coils, too. Next time, used spaced with more wick to see what happens. You changed 2 variables so you don't know what fixed your problem. Could have been both variables, though. Hard to say.
    Agreed. The “killit! Kill it with fire!” Solution generally works, but it doesn’t leave you with answers about the original problem. Sometimes it’s the best thing though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread