Steps to Change from Analog to E

Status
Not open for further replies.

gandc

Oct 30, 2011
USA
I hope I am not redundant in my post, but so far I can't find any strong info/help on this. I am a long time smoker and purchaed Green Smoke 12 mg e-cigs (looks like cigarette, plug in, put filter on, and puff!). I wonder if others have quit analogs cold turkey or if others found it easier to slowly work in the e-cig. I don't seem to get a strong "hit" from the e-cig, and still crave my analog after using the Green Smoke e-cig. I would love to give up analogs all together. Any advice on the best steps to being e-cig all the way? What has worked for others. Thanks for this site. Well done.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I don't think you'll find any definitive answer as to who found what to work better as it's entirely dependent upon the individual. For me, I stopped smoking the minute I started vaping. It was quite easy for me to do so. Not everyone finds it so, however; some have a kind of separation anxiety from cigarettes, some are sensitive to and miss the MAOIs (or other chemicals to which they have a sensitivity) in cigarettes, some just do it because that's how they feel they need to.

If you aren't getting a strong hit however, you need to up the nicotine content. I started at 18mg, but that wasn't enough for me, so I stepped up to 24mg and that worked wonders. Now I'm down to 12mg and it's hitting just fine for me, though that is due in large part to vaping at higher voltages now as well as better cartomizer technology that's around now that gives better hits than the older cartos.

My first suggestion though would be to dump the Greensmoke. I know everyone says "if it works for you, stick with it," and generally I agree, but Greensmoke are horrendously overpriced and they use cheap hardware. (I'm not exaggerating when I say that the kits they sell for $200+ literally cost them under $15 wholesale, and you can typically buy those same types of kits for $20-30 almost anywhere else.) Their replacement cartridges are extremely overpriced compared to what you can get almost anywhere else, so if you're going to up your nicotine you might as well go with a good yet inexpensive kit like a Joye 510, Vapor4Life, Smokeless Image Volt, Bloog MaxxFusion, Smoov, or something like that. All of them are better performers and a whole kit with some juice (or prefilled cartridges) will still cost you less than $80.

As for the juice though, I would suggest getting smaller amounts of a couple different strengths to start with, some 18mg and some 24mg, to see how those work for you. Once you find your preferred level just buy more of the juice and you'll be good to go. :)

dotma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
Spokane, WA
I think everybody has a different experience. Myself, i started with a mall kiosk unit that also didnt give me a great TH, flavor, vapor or really much of anything. however, I just started it and when i had a bad craving for a cig, i had one. Over the next 2 days i found that i couldnt even finish a single cigarette in one sitting. They tasted THAT gross. And that was definitely a new experience for me! I have since gotten an eGo which satisfies me much better (but still eyeing the biggers and betters!) and I havent even tried a cig again since. I think it would probably help you to go to a bigger unit (longer, stronger battery) so you get more throat hit and vapor. Also some people find that raising the nicotine level in their juice decreases their craving for a cigarette. Good luck!

kabonk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
NW Detroit Burbs
I was lucky I quit smoking the day I got my first PVs but I started with a ego type kit along with a 510 type kit, but everybody is different with some people it just takes longer. I had to vape a lot especially the first 3 days and the stressfull times at work really seemed more stressful but I just kept on vaping and before you know it I didn't miss my filter tipped buddies at all

Last edited:

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
First you have to make up your mind that you want to switch. For years, we have trained our brains to want to smoke. Now you need to retrain it. First is to make up your mine. Next, be prepared to toss the cigs. Now, get some higher mg juice. You will have about a week of withdrawal no matter what. It's nothing but your body detoxing from all the other chemicals that you've been ingesting. Drink tons of water. For one of the easiest setups, I suggest an eGo kit, a drip tip, and a box of Boge cartomizers 2.0ohm. For juice, you need a little stronger than you're using if you are still having a desire to smoke. Start with 18mg and work from there. The best thing to do is to listen to your body as far as the level of nic goes...NOT what you're subconscious wants you to do and that's smoke.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Now, get some higher mg juice. You will have about a week of withdrawal no matter what.

I don't think I can agree with this. When I switched I experience no withdrawal symptoms at all. I had a kind of desire for a cigarette after a few days, but that was mostly about the comfort and familiarity of cigarettes, not any particular desire for what analogs provided. Everyone is different this regard and there are any number of reasons people will or will not still have cigarette cravings after they start vaping.

It's nothing but your body detoxing from all the other chemicals that you've been ingesting. Drink tons of water. For one of the easiest setups, I suggest an eGo kit, a drip tip, and a box of Boge cartomizers 2.0ohm. For juice, you need a little stronger than you're using if you are still having a desire to smoke. Start with 18mg and work from there. The best thing to do is to listen to your body as far as the level of nic goes...NOT what you're subconscious wants you to do and that's smoke.

This however I can completely agree with. Boge LR cartos and a drip tip on an eGo are an excellent combination to start off with. And I want to reinforce the "listen to what your body is telling you" bit. If you start getting headaches, feeling nauseous, getting heart palpitations, you need to dial the nicotine back or vape less, because that's your body telling you you're overdosing on nicotine. Drinking lots of water is vital too, as not only does vaping tend to dehydrate you, the symptoms of dehydration have a lot in common with the symptoms of nicotine OD to the point where it can be hard to tell what it is your body is trying to tell you.

So yeah. Drink lots of water, and monitor your nicotine usage. When you start to feel headachy or nauseous and you're certain you're drinking plenty of water, scale the nicotine back.

jacquelyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
California
I too am new to vaping. Prior to vaping I smoked 2 packs of cigarette a day(still find it weird to call it anything else lol) I started with the over the counter pv's as I like to call them. I did try greem smoke but didn't love it and found this site before my 30 days were over and sent it back and currently waiting for my refund. They really are way to expensive for what they offer. I also find that there carts tasted weird.

Right now there are amazing halloween sales so it is a great time to read up on different units and liquids and get a great deal. As far as vaping and switching. Up the nicotine level at least to 18-24 or even 30mg if you smoke a lot. Everyone said 24mg was enough for me but 30 mg did the trick for me. A better unit really did help me. I was still smoking 1 pack a day or a little less and using my cig2o all day. When I got my Go-go ( bought it after reading about it and it was on my list to try and there was a blow out deal last week so it was a match), and more nicotine I slowed the analogs down. They just started tasting gross. I just aloud myself less and less a day. I couldn't stop cold turkey So now I smoke 4-6 a day. Oh and I got my go-go on Wednesday.

With a good unit and high nicotine it does make you want to smoke anologs less. Below I added links to deal threads for you. Just jump to the last page for the current stuff for the deals
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/162335-deals-n-specials-thread.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...iscussion/146219-coupon-code-master-list.html

Get a good pv.
I started with an ego and then a provape1.
I tried atomizers first then cartomizers
24mg tobacco flavored juice.
63 days now. No analogs since day one.
I was having withdrawal symptoms from all the crap in analogs BUT I was getting all the nicotine that I needed.
i had to get used to it first and that did not take long .
I had a slight sore throat for the first day.
For about a month I vaped like crazy!
Then I reduced my nic level to 18 and vaped like crazy some more about 2 weeks.
Then I reduced my nic level to 12 and slacked off the vaping for about 2 more weeks and yesterday at 8:00 pm I put down my provape1 and have not picked it back up in 28 hours I have had four 2mg commit lozengers and feel really great.
I smoked analogs for 29 years @ 2 pad.
I have quit before with the patch and the lozenger It was extremely difficult to say the least.
But this time was by far the easiest that I have ever quit smoking!
I plan on staying quit for good this time..
BUT if anything should come up I will not hesitate to pick my provape1 up again and go at it!
Good luck to you you can do it! :D

alanselo

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2011
Las Cruces, NM
My experience and suggestions. Start with a decent kit. An E Go type is a good recommendation. Don't sweat the smoking/quitting part, as you get better at vaping that will fade. Learn to use your E-cig and keep the juices simple, one or two juices, I started at 24mg for a pack a day smoker over 40 years of it. Use the same juice in your cartomizer, atomizer, tanks etc. Vary the ohms, resistance and all that other stuff so that you keep one thing constant, juice, and learn the nuances of the e-cigs.

I only started with e cigs about a month ago. It is easy to get mired in the information overload. Keep it simple. Then branch out and have fun with it. Good luck!

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
The best advise I was given before I started vaping was that when my e-cig arrived to go as long as possible before giving into the urge to smoke a cig. The longer I was vaping ONLY the easier to give up smoking. It worked well for me :) I did light a cig once each of my first 6 days but hated the taste and put it out after only a couple of puff each time. I smoked an entire cig on my 8th day just because I knew it would be my last and I really did want to remember how horrible it tasted should the urge ever strike me again to light one up.

Everyone reacts and deals with giving up cigs differently and there is no right or wrong for all people. Some find it happens immediately and for others it takes longer. The more you are committed to give up smoking and the more you are willing to fight against the urge to have one the faster you will give them entirely up if thats what you wish to do.

Finding a PV and nic level and juice that works well for you is also a matter of personal preferences and needs. Sometimes we get lucky and find the first we pick does the trick and other times it takes trying a few different ones before we find what works best for each of us. If you don't succeed at first its more then worth the effort to keep trying until you have found what works best for you. Good Luck !

Jerry B

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
Nashville TN
I cant speak for others but i can tell you how i did it. I have been a pack to pack and half smoker for the last 25 years give or take. I smoke menthol full flavor 100's also the odd cigar. I first got interested in the e-cig craze and bought a Blue. I was not impressed and knew if this was it i would never be able to quit. But the Blu did give me a bases for what it would be like to smoke an ecig.

I started researching as much as i could and checked out tons of sites to see what was out there. I ended up buying a eGo T and in one single day i quit smoking cigs forever. I dont even crave one not even just a taste. Now i was a heavy smoker so i went pretty high in nic levels from the start. I smoke 30 down to 24mg. After a while i may try going lower but i feel that in the beginning i needed to stay on the high end so that i would NOT slip back and craving a cig.

What can i say it worked for me. iPray it works for you.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
It took me about a month to wean off analogs while I was vaping. My first 2 part ecig was from health ecigs and the improvement over the mini 3 piece units I had tried years back helped me stick with vaping, but I was not satisfied with TH, or taste. Those cartos had a funky taste but when I tried Halo juices that was it for me, they tasted so good. Since I liked the Halo juices I bought a Halo G6 starter unit and it was fabulous. Good TH, lots of vapor and flavors, easy draw. Their cartos are so much better than what I had used earlier. So I think it is finding just right set up as well as right juices to help quit. I keep tobacco flavors around when I really get a craving and that helps me. Plus I now do DIY flavors so have a ton of flavors to keep my interest up. I need alot of variety to keep me happy with vaping flavors. Good luck! bnrk

Ox1de

Oct 18, 2011
Pennsylvania
I started on a greensmoke / blu cig. Both are ridiculously overpriced imo. The greensmoke does give good vapor production for the battery size though.. But the website is just a bunch of lies with how cartomizers hold almost 2 packs of regular cigarettes per cart.

I just got my ego-t a week ago. Immediately I liked the tank and thought wow this is convenient. Then my atomizer got this nasty burnt taste in it. So I took the wick out and noticed it's black so there is why my atomizer tastes bad. I'd highly suggest getting Boge LR 2.0 cartomizers and ego / riva / tornado style 900-1100 mah batteries. I use to smoke a pack a day. The first few days I dropped down to about 6 cigarettes a day... Now I'm on 3 cigarettes a day at most. I'm sure I could drop them completely but I feel more comfortable lowering rather than cutting completely but that's just me. Even though the cigarettes taste worse every time I smoke one. The ego style batteries last me a whole day on one 1000mah so 2 should do the trick just so you have a spare while charging the other...

I got different levels of nic with my purchase. the 36mg was waay to strong for me and i'm gonna have to dilute mine even to smoke it. I found though that 20-24mg is just right in a mix of 50/50 PG/VG..everyone's different though so get some 5ml's in different flavors / levels to choose what you like. I'd suggest atleast to include a fruit flavor and something close to what you smoke now like menthol or regular tobacco flavor.. As I just got a bunch of off the wall flavors and kind of regret it now. Read some reviews and pick out what works best for you. My next investment will be something 6v like a silver bullet / provari.

Trilly

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
First of all, well done for wanting to switch and asking about how to do this.

I'm relatively new to this but will tell you what has worked for me. I tried an e-cig a few years back, they were a new thing and to be honest, not very good. Part of that was my own doing, I jumped in with a lot of enthusiasm but little knowledge of what I actually wanted/needed and it didn't work for me. Roll on a few years and I decided it was time to try again so I started to research, I read reviews, posts on websites, basically anything I could find. I contacted suppliers aswell although most just tried the hard sell (they were instantly struck off my list). What I wanted was something that felt like I was holding an analogue, something I didn't need to go to the gym to left and most importantly, ease of use (or as I call it, plug and play), I also knew something that tasted of tobacco probably wouldn't work for me but I found this time I had a whole host of flavours available.
I bought a starter kit that I could in time expand and a range of prefilled cartos in various flavours and in a stronger nic level than I thought I would need.
From the day it arrived I haven't touched an analogue, I have found a flavour I like and now am just getting on with it. Yes I will probably upgrade but for know what I have works.

As I said before, what worked for me may not work for anyone else but I hope it gives you a few ideas. I think the key to it is trial and error, accept that what you try you may not like but strike it up to experiance and move on to the next thing (be it a different flavour or strength or even the type of battery) and don't be afraid to ask questions, just reading through various posts on here answered a fair few of mine but it was nice to know I wasn't alone. Finally, be kind to yourself, if something isn't working and you want an analogue, it doesn't mean failure, think of it that every time you use your pv as a success and in time there will be more and more of them, congratulate yourself each and everytime.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
1 - buy a D2 to D1 adapter at LeCig.com so you can use all of the KR808D-1 stuff (prefilled cartos at Vapor4Life, SmokelessImage, Bloogplanet, Halocigs g6, and a variety of blank types from many multibrand ecig shops)

2 - Pay attention to what flavor(s) you are vaping that gives you analog cravings. Some new vapers cannot vape food flavors without getting analog cravings as if they had eaten. (I was like that, though I could mix those food flavors into a tobacco flavor and vape them that way). After 2 months I could vape food flavors alone. Some new vapers are the opposite and tobacco flavors make them want an analog. And some can vape any flavor and be satisfied. Figure out which you are.

3 - If necessary, try higher nicotine if your ecig isn't satisfying you. Or try a long-charge fat model like EGo or Riva 510 where you can use hotter LR cartomizers and atomizers for more hit. And you are probably using automatic batteries - it's easier to get a good hit with manuals but I don't think Greensmoke (KR808D-2 aka E9) has manuals. You could try a KR808D-1 manual with the opposite adapter D1 to D2 from leCigs (KR808D-1 battery with KR808D-2 cartos) - The Vapor4Life ones allow longer drags, the others I mentioned have a 5-second cutoff but slightly more charge. The plain manufacturer model has normal charge and a 5--second cutoff but costs the least (see LiteCigUSA.net gold button KR808D-1 manuals).

I stopped smoking immediately when I started vaping. I had one cig while I figured out how the ecig worked then that was it. I ran into craving when I started vaping a Peach flavor I couldn't put down (both a nicotine headache AND analog cravings). Fortunately after that happened a few times I figured out I needed to vape tobacco flavors for a while.

Last edited:

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
i just went thru this and have been 4 whole days without one of those dam addictive things in my mouth..i smoked more then a pack a day for 34 years and parents were\are heavy smokers since i was conceived,,deck was stacked against me !!

i have tryed several different auto ecigs over the past 2 years,,,junk and the pre-filled cartridges made me dizzy as hell

then i found this place and got turned on to the ego ..not the t-model either
ordered the kit,some 18mg juices,boge LR cartos,smok dual coil cartosand some ressurectors,takes a little practice to get the hang of how to hit the different carto's
smok dcc you have to inhale slowly to get a good hit
ressurectors and boge,[both LR] you inhale faster of you will burn em up rather quickly

i smoked and vaped at the same time till i figured out i had to convince myself the vapor was smoke ,,and i had to break certain habits,,smoke first thing in the morning was the hardest,,wasn't having much luck getting past the morning ritual till i got some 24mg,,when i headed to my normal first smoke place i just kept going,,mind you i was vapin like a madman ,but it worked for me...

one other thing that helped me was 100% VG...excellent TH and tons of "smoke"...{yes that is smoke} is what i kept telling myself even tho i knew it really wasn't :) hehe

just dont give in without giving a good fight,,,it really is worth the effort to squish out a pack of un-lit smokes

just wanted to ad this,,,i suggest staying away from auto batteries,,real easy to overfill and ruin ,,don't ask why i know this.

one other thing..ego has type a and b carto's..stay away from those till you are more familair with what is available,,2 months in and i am still a little confused about those ??

i have one smok dcc with cigarette juice in it,,and another with fruit on me at all times

fruit is a persoanl reward for not giving into a analog ,,,goooooo vaperssssssssssssss

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread