State sales tax coming to online vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plastictree

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Southern Maryland
Online sellers may have to collect sales tax

Maybe it'll go through? Maybe not?

They are saying that people avoid sales tax on purpose with online sales. But my argument is that that is invalid because of shipping and handling costs. We'll see how this one goes.

I understand that this article doesn't directly connect to vaping, but obviously we all buy from online vendors and this'll affect that.

I'm seeing a big influx of traffic to deleware vapor in the future lol

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I shop online because my state does everything it can to chase businesses out of this state. I don't look where an online company is located before ordering, avoiding taxes isn't part of it. In fact I'd rather buy local even if ordering saves a few dollars because ordering will likely include shipping costs and will take longer.

I can't speak for all states but in IL it's not a "sales tax", it's a "retailer's occupation tax". I don't have to collect it from my customers (and I don't), but I do have to pay it.
Yet my state does have a "use tax" law showing that the law makers have no clue about what taxes there are, they just want more and they know they chase businesses out of this state which is the real loss of revenue.

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
The difficulty is how to determine which state(s) tax applies, and how to collect it. It is no greedier than collecting a physical sales tax.

Many states (like TX) rely more on sales tax because they are ideologically opposed to income tax - so I ask: would you prefer taxes on internet sales or taxes on your income? Or maybe they would simply jack up the already ludicrous property taxes there to compensate.

A world without taxes would be nice; a world without any need for money at all would be nice too. And I want a battery that never dies & a tank that never leaks.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Big news hu our legislators are passing a bill that will hinder small business growth. Who would of thought they would do such a thing! Someone should say something maybe they haven't considered all of the hardships they will cause. Surely these people who we elected have our best interest at heart and not the giant monopoly's who stand to lose all of their competition from such measures.

plastictree

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Southern Maryland
Big news hu our legislators are passing a bill that will hinder small business growth. Who would of thought they would do such a thing! Someone should say something maybe they haven't considered all of the hardships they will cause. Surely these people who we elected have our best interest at heart and not the giant monopoly's who stand to lose all of their competition from such measures.
I live in maryland and that's already a problem with stupid O'mally.

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
Online sellers may have to collect sales tax

Maybe it'll go through? Maybe not?

They are saying that people avoid sales tax on purpose with online sales. But my argument is that that is invalid because of shipping and handling costs. We'll see how this one goes.

I understand that this article doesn't directly connect to vaping, but obviously we all buy from online vendors and this'll affect that.

I'm seeing a big influx of traffic to deleware vapor in the future lol

When I purchase from on-line vendors within my state, I pay both the sales tax and S&H.

- Andy

ilovehugehits

Moved On
Jan 28, 2013
Minnesota
I stopped ordering refills from Blu.
Paying sales tax on top of waiting forever for shipping.
Was the nail on the coffin. Found a much better vendor, with better flavors, and same day order processing. If they pass this bill. There will be a mad dash on P.O. Boxes in tax free states.
I passed on placing an order with a local vendor.
Tax would have wiped out most of the savings.
Johnson Creek is right across the border...

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I stopped ordering refills from Blu.
Paying sales tax on top of waiting forever for shipping.
Was the nail on the coffin. Found a much better vendor, with better flavors, and same day order processing. If they pass this bill. There will be a mad dash on P.O. Boxes in tax free states.
I passed on placing an order with a local vendor.
Tax would have wiped out most of the savings.
Johnson Creek is right across the border...
Filling your own carts is really super easy and a 1/4 of the price

ilovehugehits

Moved On
Jan 28, 2013
Minnesota
I usually fill my own with the Vea.
Have an eGo mini kit with clearos on order.
But I prefer using prefilled when out.
Also Blu bats are unsealed 510.
If I wanted to pay tax, I'd shop B & M.
Other than Jet & Johnson Creek.
Shipping issues seem to happen often with many vendors. I'm having one now with a new vendor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread