Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Not sure if this is the right place but.......

I would like to start an ECF based folding at home team.
I have been folding at home for years and have seen the results this little distributed computing program can do for finding cures to disease. out of almost 1.7 million peeps im currently sitting at about 100k spot.

Folding@home - HomePage

As we have a massive user base of people sitting around with the pc's basically doing nothing It would be an awesome way to show our support for the scientific community, (and be cool to compete with all the other teams around the world)

its simple - download a small program from stanford university and let it run in the background and requires nothing from ECf owners or staff.

So I just wanted to ask if it's cool before I start saying in my sig "join team ecf today"
If it is ok the team number would/will be 223274

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
After some false starts (permissions issues) I've joined TEAM ECF and started my first work Unit (big) and am at 3%. lets get some more folks interested and see if the community can make a dent in science :)
ECF_Forum_Manager's Folding@Home Status

awesome I been folding for years, been a member on some of the top teams and its a cool way to help, searching around stanford they have information on some of the really tangible results they have archived doing this. an effort like this is how they cracked the human genome so quickly a few years back. and have already made drastic gains in finding cures for cancers.

many times they have stated that the gains they are seeing in years or less, would take decades to accomplish, even on the most powerful super computers we have today.

(happy panda) lol

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I been doing it for years now, i was at work thinking this is a pretty big site with a huge member base, we could easily become one of the top teams in the world. and I been thinking what team to join since i dropped maximumpc.
We chose vaping to improve our health, why not share the wealth?.

there is an info post in gen chat.

but we need a sticky/thread so it doesn't get lost and can add info or details.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
What a great idea. I think I got it set up right (I hope)

at anytime after install you can right click the icon in the taskbar and choose configure it will show you if the team number is entered or not.
on the connections tab you can choose to accept big chunks or leave it unchecked for smaller chunks, bigger chunks take longer but reward more points.

on the advanced tab you can choose how much cpu to use since i have a multi core cpu i run more then one program,(one for each core)
one runs 24/7 @100% the other gets turned on while at work or not using the pc.

right clicking will give you several options. on the status option you can check your stats, (none since no work turned in yet) or the team stats. I just uploaded first unit should be there in 6 hours or less.

you will also need to go to your firewall and allow F@H to get in and out for work units.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Thrasherbill
Date of last work unit 2012-12-03 14:03:42
Total score 134369
Overall rank (if points are combined) 106387 of 1664093
Active clients (within 50 days) 2