Status
Not open for further replies.

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
Hello All,

I just returned from San Diego. I had a great 1 week visit there. I was approached at least 30 times by people curious about my mods. I had brought an EHPro Telescope (EA Clone) and an ERA which admittedly did draw much attention due to the amount of fog it produces. The first few people approached me and asked me "Hey, is that one of those hookah things?". Which of course I replied "No you idiot. I am not burning anything. This is vaping. I put joose in here, heat it up by pushing this button, and steam comes out". After 10 people asked me if it was a hookah I began to wonder WTH is going on.

It seems to me that the locals down in San Diego call these things Hookahs, e-Hookahs or something hookah related. They call juice "oil".

I was wondering if a San Diegan can explain why the need for the local lingo? It adds a lot of confusion to an emerging market where there is already a lot of new devices being introduced daily that requires new names. At least why call the juice "oil" as it contains no oil in it and vaping oil would be very bad if it were even possible.

~BW

SFBrianT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2013
San Francisco
Someone asked me last night if my eVic was a hookah. As far as I knew a hookah is pipe used in south Asia and the Middle East used to smoke tobacco mixed with a little other stuff. But apparently the kids these days go to hookah bars to smoke flavored tobacco or something. Seems e-hookahs are becoming popular with the kids now. I just did an image search for e-hookah and got pics of bedazzled e-go kits.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
The Playboy ecig website showed the requisite disposables and cigalikes, and then they showed an eGo-looking kit they called their "hookah." Don't understand this, don't like it... Don't like them calling juice "oil" either, cause sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, some idiot is going to try to vape some kind of oil, which will not do them -- or the cause of vaping -- any good. :mad:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I was wondering if a San Diegan can explain why the need for the local lingo?
I've been vaping for four years and I've never experienced this.
I've been to quite a few vape shops and met quite a few vapers in that time.

Seriously, no idea who you were talking to or where you found them.
:)

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
There were quite a few people in La Jolla at the beach who were referring to them as hookah and even an e-cig vendor at the fair who was peddling them as hookahs and "oil". But even random places like Cotixan in Mira Mesa I had a couple people ask me if it was a hookah. :facepalm:

I've been vaping for four years and I've never experienced this.
I've been to quite a few vape shops and met quite a few vapers in that time.

Seriously, no idea who you were talking to or where you found them.
:)

chillaxing

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
los angeles, ca
ya, i travel up and down cali all the time. Its funny the reaction i get when i get to different cities. LA and SF " Man is that so and so mod, that's nice". Rest of the state "... is that" or they just stare at me like i'm doing drugs :) I just tell them thats its an advance e-cig. So i dont complicate the explanation and keep it blunt to people that dont want to talk to. i've only heard the term hookah once.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread