Smoking Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatRacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2009
S.W. Florida
I don't like it. It doesn't turn off the cravings, just blocks the delivery. Plus it doesn't address the psychological aspects.

The vaccine is designed to stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies that bind to the nicotine molecules. Once bound together, they are too large to cross the blood-brain barrier. In this way, the nicotine is blocked from reaching the receptors in the brain that cause the highly-addictive pleasure sensation experienced by smokers and users of nicotine products. When nicotine is prevented from supplying them the sensation they crave, smokers have an easier time kicking the habit.

Mclassy

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Tacoma, WA
So let me get this straight... according to the article, the first trial run for the vaccine FAILED and the US government granted out 10 million dollars for another attempt at failure for the potential of 2 billion dollars in a vaccine that only works for 6 months to a year?
I quit smoking for 2 years and started again. Also doesnt Chantex block the nicotine receptors in the mind as well and is linked to spontanious suicide and horrific nightmares?
So i get the potientially failing shot that will stay in my system for 6 month to a year. I dream of having a cigarette but not able to light it and then try to commit suicide and cant get the vaccine out of my body for up to a year. I will start investing in mental institutions for the white padded room count will go up!

sstambo

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
Cape Coma, Florida
It is just amazing the things modern medicine can do! However, the article does not give enough detail for me to say to much about it. I had a prescription for chantix sitting in my cabinet for over a year that I was afraid to take because of the side effects.

I have a friend who had that $400 shot. While she quit smoking... she isn't able to enjoy other things such as coffee & beer which she used to love. She is seriously bummed about it. It's has been over 2 yrs ago and she still has this problem. She says, if she had a chance to do it over that she wouldn't get that shot. WEIRD!!!

The side effects of some of these drugs really worry me.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I was thinking that if they get the bugs out..it might be a good thing for people like my husband. He is trying to vape, but just can't put the analogs down. He is on chantix now and is almost to the quit point. After that I have e-cigs with 0 nic for the hand to mouth ready to go.
He quit once with chantix but it made him dizzy, he is retired now and doesn't have to drive this time.
I just thopught that 0 nic e-cigs for the hand to mouth and the shot..could be a good thing.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Mary Kay, this is a very dangerous propositon. If it works well, it may really become a "lobotomy for smokers." Read this thread:

This is really scary folks!

I would never consider any treatment that may cause irreversible changes in my brain.

Have you looked into dissolvable tobacco, like Stonewall and Ariva? You can get them in Florida. Or Swedish snus? That's what I've been using in addition to vaping and I'm very happy. Visit the Smokeless subforum and talk to the folks there. They are wonderful, knowledgeable and helpful. Some people just can't do it with vaping alone. I know, I'm one of them.

And say hi to Mike!

Last edited:

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
The vaccine is incredibly scary. It keeps the nicotine from getting to the brain, but also means that the nicotine that is bound by the antibodies is hanging out in the bloodstream until the body can get rid of it. The articles that I've read don't say whether the antibody is specific, clearance of bound nicotine seems to be through sequestration into fat stores and organs. The articles about it also don't say whether the bound nicotine in the bloodstream is still able to bind to receptors. If it is, then you could still get the peripheral effects- like muscle cramps, heart rate changes, digestive? etc, without any effects on the cravings. And it's likely permanent. For me this sounds like an absolute nightmare- getting nicotine (via vaping, smoking, snus, the patch whatever) while having heart palpitations and cramps with the cravings completely unabated, the more nicotine, the more antibodies made against it, the more side effects. For those who believe that people should be punished while quitting it might sound like a workable option.

Mr.Stick

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2010
Colorado
Calling it a vaccine is a little more than pretentious, but I suppose it is all in the marketing. If it is a quit smoking aide, it is one of the crappiest ever (yay unrelieved withdrawl!), and if it is a preventative, well, when does one suppose they ought to introduce it? Perhaps in metered doses at the onset of those pesky teen years? Perhaps from birth? Whats next? McVaccine! Or just an all-around vaccine against choice in general?

Devilooman

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Indian Trail, NC
This treatment does not block nicotine receptors. It makes the nicotine too large to ever get into your brain. I guess their idea is that if you don't get the happy feelings from smoking you will eventually just stop doing it as there is no reward for your screaming brain. EEEEEK this would be absolute torture to someone addicted to smoking! They also are conveniently NOT mentioning why the first trial failed. :confused:

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Mr. Stick, it really is a vaccine, that's what makes it so scary. It also works best if you take in nicotine- because that's what causes your body to create antibodies against it. THEORETICALLY (meaning i don't agree with the following- but i bet that someone is thinking about it) you could vaccinate a child, and the vaccine would begin to work only if they started smoking at some point in their lives- they wouldn't get pleasure from smoking so would never get hooked. Course, if they ate tomatoes or potatoes that could also trigger antibody production. Other things could too- since there's no data that I could find that showed that they've tested the specificity- it doesn't look like they have any good information about whether the antibodies could bind to and block some other molecule that might be really important in normal functioning.

Yep, fast tracked clinical trials for something that has potentially wide-ranging side effects, and banning something that doesn't have quite the same potential for permanent side effects.

Mr.Stick

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2010
Colorado
Mr. Stick, it really is a vaccine, that's what makes it so scary. It also works best if you take in nicotine- because that's what causes your body to create antibodies against it. THEORETICALLY (meaning i don't agree with the following- but i bet that someone is thinking about it) you could vaccinate a child, and the vaccine would begin to work only if they started smoking at some point in their lives- they wouldn't get pleasure from smoking so would never get hooked. Course, if they ate tomatoes or potatoes that could also trigger antibody production. Other things could too- since there's no data that I could find that showed that they've tested the specificity- it doesn't look like they have any good information about whether the antibodies could bind to and block some other molecule that might be really important in normal functioning.

Yep, fast tracked clinical trials for something that has potentially wide-ranging side effects, and banning something that doesn't have quite the same potential for permanent side effects.

Yup, you're right - definately vaccine. I must have blocked out the word "antibody" while I was reading, on accounta that is freakish.

Looks like a candidate for a special place in the Worst Ideas Ever file... "They" really will stop at nothing to save us from ourselves (how quaint), and sure hell won't let the fact that some of us neither want, nor need, the kind of help they offer.

One can only hope that further testing of this vaccine fails miserably; meddling with human physiology is sketchy, at best, and generally just plain bad news.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I think they may be willing to accept less than 100% success. ARGH. If it's like the vaccine for the substance that used to be in coca cola then they won't get 100% abstinence. In that care "decreased use' was still seen as promising. What makes me crazy is that policy makers and a good part of the general public don't understand science, so they can't evaluate the studies or put them in any sort of context- and only get the sound bite. Someone tosses out the idea that decreased pleasure might make it easier for smokers to quit- while not getting that it would be absolute living h*ll.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Not only that. Nicotine is, and will be used in the future, without a doubt, to treat mmany disorders, including Parkinson's disease, ADD, dementia (including Alzheimer's) and possibly some forms of OCD. Those with antibodies in their system will not be able to benefit from therapeutic use of nicotine, methinks.

I'll go with a fancy quote - "The trouble with always trying to preserve the health of the body is that it is so difficult to do without destroying the health of the mind." G.K. Chesterton.

Nice. Thanks for posting it.

I have another literary reference: Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest."

Or is it just my generation? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread