"Smells like cigarettes" - My current problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

annihilon

Nov 14, 2014
Hey fellow vapers, I've recently encountered a problem with my e cig. To start off, I'm 19 and currently living with my father. He can't stand the smell of cigarettes and absolutely hates them, that being said he doesn't seem to "hate" the fact that I vape. When I first started, he said it smelled a lot like cotton candy ( I was using butterscotch tobacco blends at the time, maybe his nose was a little off haha). I just have started using a strawberries and cream liquid, and a cherry cola liquid. He started saying my breath smells exactly like cigarettes and he also says my car smells the same, even though I always keep the windows rolled down when I vape. I've never had anyone else say "it smells like cigarettes" and to be honest, some say it smells good. I'm starting to wonder if he has some sort of placebo effect going on where he thinks just because he sees me vape, the vapor "smells like cigarettes". I did run his truck to the dump to haul some trash off and took a few drags on the way ( which I should have been more considerate of his feelings and abstained ), and he said " the smell is soaking into my seats and it smelled like cigarettes ". When I was at the dump, I had the windows rolled down and a truck pulled in right beside me, and the two men in it were smoking with their windows rolled down. I could smell it when I got back in the truck and headed home and even told my father about it to which he replied, " you may not smell it, but I notice it and it smells just like cigarettes, its easy to tell you're smoking something ". I just don't understand how other people in the house living with me that don't know that I vape, never notice anything but my dad says it smells like cigarettes. When I smell others vape, it smells like whatever they're vaping, not cigarettes. Maybe it's just him? Anyone have some feedback for me?

Last edited:

Gowanus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2014
I'd suggest no more tobacco vapors, and to not vape in the truck. That way, if he still notices the smell of smoke in there, likely from the past, you'll know for sure it's not the vaporizer.

I'd also like to suggest spearmint. That way if the smell does get into anything, it will smell awesome. It's also great to have fresh feeling breath all the time. (I can't confirm if it actually smells fresh)

I don't want to stir up the pot, I know a lot of people here think vaping is totally ok anywhere, but really it still affects people around you, and while it may not smell like a cigarette, don't be fooled into thinking that that vapor, the flavors and nicotine in the vapor, don't settle on surfaces and linger around. Just because you can't see it or smell it, doesn't mean it's not there. It doesn't just turn into oxygen.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
He sees "smoke" so he smells smoke. You just gotta deal with it. He is Dad

I have to agree with this. I'm 37 and when I first started vaping I brought my mod over to my parents house when I started and they absolutely hate cigarettes but my Mom asked how it worked. So I took a big puff of a tobacco vape and let it out in their kitchen and she wasn't put off by it at all. She even remarked how it didn't smell anything like cigarettes. My best guess is your Dad would like you to not be inhaling anything and is giving you a tough time about it.

Having said that, even after that interaction in their house if I have to drive their cars for any reason (work for family welding co.) I don't vape in them. I would treat the vape just like a cigarette if he doesn't like it don't do it near him or in his car. Since I have started vaping I keep one thing in mind, just because it's not a cigarette it doesn't give me free reign to vape all over the place.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Dad sounds like he's opinionated and set in his ways. Let him be. He's Dad. Your vape doesn't smell anything like cigarettes, but he doesn't like what you're doing, regardless. Maybe if he will talk WITH you rather than AT you, the two of you can come to some understanding about your lifestyle decision. Just be sure to remember he's the Dad. Explain that it's a healthier alternative to cigarettes and poses significant less risk to your health. Also, explain that one of the drawbacks that alot of former smokers encounter in attempting to switch to vaping is that it is darn-near impossible to replicate the sensation/flavor of smoldering tobacco, so how exactly is it that he's smelling smoke? *This last part is your trump card if you're feeling ballsy. **Don't forget he's Dad. ;)

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
LOL to "move out"...
But it IS his place, so you have to respect his wishes - and he wishes you didn't puff anything.
I'm not saying quit vaping - it doesn't sound like he's demanding that either - just MINIMIZE how often he SEES you vape.
And try to prevent any odor in the house and vehicle. It COULD be one of the new liquids has a residual odor he's pickup up as "cigarette" - so maybe try to figure out which one. Some liquids stink up a room (OH MY GOD stay away from Mt Baker Vapor Root Beer), and some leave nearly no scent even though they have strong taste...

But you're probably right that it's at LEAST half psychological - where there's clouds, there's "smoke".

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
He doesn't want you doing it, therefore "smells like cigarettes." If you aren't adult enough to be living on your own the you have to suck it up and not do it around him. I can't give you a rational explanation why he thinks that way, any more than I can for anyone else who starts fake coughing, fake sneezing and complaining about fake headaches the second they see someone vaping, but don't have any problems at all unless they actually see it.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I bought a tobacco juice a long time ago that smelled and tasted really good until my wife got into the car and she got this sour looking face on and said "Your feet stink". I was flabbergasted and later when we got home, I went into the computer room and it also smelled like rotten feet. That juice is now decomposing in the landfill and won't buy that brand of juice again. Some juices are deceiving with their smell and taste until you exhaust some nasty vapor that can clear a room. :)

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
I picked up a bottle that was supposed to be much like an almond joy - chocolate, coconut, almond. to me it tastes good. the coconut is the strongest with subtle hint of chocolate on the inhale. the exhale is where i taste the almond - very nice. However, when I exhale, my son thinks it smells like cat urine. Until we figured out what that it was my liquid, he was checking all the surfaces in the house to see if one of the cats had used the furniture for a litter box. Just because you enjoy it doesn't mean others smell the same thing that you do.

Redruth

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2014
Crawley, England
When I try a new flavour I always ask my hubby "Does this smell ok". Because I don't have much sense of smell.

Not had a bad smelling one so far but had a Raspberry one that he noticed was a fruity smell but he quite like the smell of it. He said compared to my previous smoking 30+ a day habit, it would have to smell pretty bad before he complained lol.

Awe bless him. Sometimes it's easy to remember why I love him. :)

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I completely agree I shouldn't have used it in his truck, wasn't really thinking at the time and I vape the most when I'm driving so I guess I did it out of habit. He never really complained till I started using that cherry cola flavor so I believe that's what started the "smells like cigarettes" incident.

I think it would be a good idea to stop using the cherry cola. Does he now complain about all of the liquids?
If so then simply do not vape around him or in his vehicle.
Prior to this did you smoke analogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread